• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

351 Boss intake manifold

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of those D1ZX-9425-DA intakes has just gone up for sale on Aus ebay, but for $1100, it won't be me buying it. As much as I'd love to have a factory alloy intake on my car, just can't justify spending that sort of coin though. They come up for sale every now and then in Australia as these intakes were used back in the day for racing. Loved hearing the story that Allan Moffat tells of the "cheats" back in the day, and one of them involves these intakes. They would get the car through scrutineering, then afterwards they'd change intakes, they were painted blue, and the mechanics would act like the intake was as heavy as cast iron, by groaning and puffing and panting when installing it. The amount of stuff that used to go on back in the day of "production racing" was unbelievable. But the last one I saw that sold here went for $600 Aus, I know this because by the time I seen it advertised and called the guy it was gone. He said he only had it advertised for less than an hour before the guy snapped it up.

I have an intake and carb off a 72 r code my # is 902-670-5738, Cheers Janmie

Loved hearing the story that Allan Moffat tells of the "cheats" back in the day, and one of them involves these intakes. They would get the car through scrutineering, then afterwards they'd change intakes, they were painted blue, and the mechanics would act like the intake was as heavy as cast iron, by groaning and puffing and panting when installing it.
I'm surprised they didn't do the trick of spraying them with brake lathe shavings first, then painting them. Easy to pass the magnet test.

-Kurt

Question, an extension about the Boss intake manifold topic that I am trying to find out is, since I took my 72 q code (351 cj) and had comp cam solid titanium lifters and Lunati Hi Performance flat top camshaft installed and all pushed my compression up to 9.5:1 and kept my Edelbrock 2 Barrel Intake Manifold of when I got it, whether the Ford GT 40 Intake Manifold adapted to my upgrade and modification of an EFI unit by Holley would show significant if any horsepower increase while maintaining the same high end torque at low mph as the same, if the Boss R code Intake Manifold .....and if any difference between these two manifolds?
Hi Mustang Dynasty,

I would start a new thread if I was you.... sounds like a technical question and this thread is in the "wanted to buy".
In an indirect and round about way, I am looking at buying a Boss intake manifold if not an upgrade from my existing 2 barrel intake manifold to the air gap 4 barrel intake manifold. But you got a good point about taking the questions to the technicalese.

I have an intake and carb off a 72 r code my # is 902-670-5738, Cheers Janmie
Probably the spread bore? If so, I've decided to go square bore Holley flange.....so...unless it was fairly cheap....I'd only be interested because of the numbers and the fact that my car came with it.

Grant

About the r code intake Boss on 1972HO's site, I got a Holley Avenger EFI w/700cfm solid throttle body carb on mine. The intake by itself, and the size of the carb it is tied to, ?

and at this point in 3 months at the dyno tune, am I really ready to do it all over again in the exchanging my 2 barrel intake for another and will it actually increase the hp and torque w/out losing something else on the way as well as another 6 months to a dyno tun shop?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back