351 c 2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

naa10104

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible, matching #'s H Code, Auto
Hello,

I have heard that Ford produced a replacement motor for early 351c motors that had casting/design issues.  I believe I have one of these motors according to the casting marks, but it has an odd number on the block driver's side below head where the partial VIN should be.  The number begins with the letters CAR followed by numbers that have no relationship to my VIN.  Any info would be appreciated ... thanks

Hello,

I have heard that Ford produced a replacement motor for early 351c motors that had casting/design issues.  I believe I have one of these motors according to the casting marks, but it has an odd number on the block driver's side below head where the partial VIN should be.  The number begins with the letters CAR followed by numbers that have no relationship to my VIN.  Any info would be appreciated ... thanks
Can you share a photo of the number?

Hello,

Can you share a photo of the number?
Unfortunately I dont have a photo and don't know how soon I could get one.  The letters "CAR" stamped above the numbers "540073. 

thanks

Hi

Well I would start with the Cougar block and forensically look at date codes compared to your build AND IF disassembling motor the components inside. It is likely you will find this is a "engine service" rebuild -basically the "jasper" of the 70's/80's.

When a large machine shop tracks parts they STAMP (usually with a number matched to build) so all parts stay together. BATCH rebuilders like above, matched components by acceptable tolorences in a given motor. If they offered a few styles - say stock , RV or power, or performance they covered the range of needs.

Mark

P.S. CAR was a rebuilder in the Philadelphia Area - they didn't look at a cleveland and say " separate Cougar and TOrino"

naa10104, I've checked my info and with a couple of retired shop techs and no one remembers any issues with the early 70's 351 C's . There was an issue with the 351M/400 in the 77-79 date range with some cracks/splits developing in the lifter valley area.

What is probably in your car is what SVO2SCJ referred to as a service block. The dealers often replaced an after warranty engine with a "Long Block"  which was a block with all internal components and heads. They offered a way better warranty (Usually a 24/24, 36/36)  instead of the 12/12 which was a typical parts/labor warranty on in shop built engines during the 70's and 80's. Those engines were usually stamped or had tags riveted to the block and heads for identification purposes in case a warranty issue arose. Also made identifying the engine easier especially if you were traveling and broke down in an area that was not familiar with your rebuilt engine supplier.

And as SVO2SCJ posted engine cores come in from all types of vehicles and were not separated. We had ordered a 351 C "H" for a LTD and actually received a engine built from a 4 bolt CJ block. Drove the tech crazy to have to install such a "Nice" engine in a family car!!    :D

naa10104, I've checked my info and with a couple of retired shop techs and no one remembers any issues with the early 70's 351 C's . There was an issue with the 351M/400 in the 77-79 date range with some cracks/splits developing in the lifter valley area.

What is probably in your car is what SVO2SCJ referred to as a service block. The dealers often replaced an after warranty engine with a "Long Block"  which was a block with all internal components and heads. They offered a way better warranty (Usually a 24/24, 36/36)  instead of the 12/12 which was a typical parts/labor warranty on in shop built engines during the 70's and 80's. Those engines were usually stamped or had tags riveted to the block and heads for identification purposes in case a warranty issue arose. Also made identifying the engine easier especially if you were traveling and broke down in an area that was not familiar with your rebuilt engine supplier.

And as SVO2SCJ posted engine cores come in from all types of vehicles and were not separated. We had ordered a 351 C "H" for a LTD and actually received a engine built from a 4 bolt CJ block. Drove the tech crazy to have to install such a "Nice" engine in a family car!!    :D
Thanks all for the great information !!!

I had read once that early Cleveland blocks had cracking issues in the lifter valley, which allowed coolant to find it's way into the oil. The issue was corrected in later castings such as D2AE-CA. Now I do not want to spread misinformation, but I read this in a 351 Cleveland Engine "How To" book by George Reid. Has anyone else heard of this issue?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back