351 ceveland 2v

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kmichaud

Reaction score
My Car
73 mustang grande with a 351 cleveland engine
want to know what i can use for high performance parts

Last edited by a moderator:
Depends on your budget. Rear gears, cam, exhaust, etc..............
were replacing the gears in the rear end and the exhaust is straight pipe i think its 3" in diameter

FYI, he's got a 1973 351-2V w/ a C6. Right now the rear has 2.75 but he's going to make them taller or whatever. Stock exhaust manifold, and I believe the engine is stock as well. He told me that he wants to have a street/strip ride.

So, that's the setup.

my son is just learning his car talk forgive him , he is trying hard ... car is 73 302 2v with 3spd standard . 2,75 8 inch rear , stock dual exhaust ... installing 351c 2v with c4 tranny ,,, 9 inch rear,3.50 gears ,,,

my son is just learning his car talk forgive him , he is trying hard ... car is 73 302 2v with 3spd standard . 2,75 8 inch rear , stock dual exhaust ... installing 351c 2v with c4 tranny ,,, 9 inch rear,3.50 gears ,,,
Hey thats how you learn. I would start with a cam and headers and build from there with the rear end swap already planned.

Cool, thanks Rob. He's got a lot of questions and that's good! Everyone here will be more than willing to help out. He can keep IMing me if he wants.

What years is the 351 (if you know)? It helps to know what compression, etc. it has.

it is out of another 73 parts car i had ,,, putting automatic in to start him off ,, i have a 69 4spd to go in too but lets start him off slow ... i had 73 fastback ,got from my dad , put alot of time in ... yanked out the original clevland and put the 429 in ... went good ...

it is out of another 73 parts car i had ,,, putting automatic in to start him off ,, i have a 69 4spd to go in too but lets start him off slow ... i had 73 fastback ,got from my dad , put alot of time in ... yanked out the original clevland and put the 429 in ... went good ...
yea the engine he got a lot of speeding tickets with

The absolute KEY issue you guys FIRST need to resolve is the one a couple folks have alluded to already and that is to REALISTICALLY decide what your "Performance" goals are.

Many times what one person sees as performance is not what another has in mind. What do you REALLY want out of the car most of the time? Do you plan on racing it? Do you plan on crusing? Does it have to be a "reliable" daily commuter? Are you concerned about gas mileage? How comfortable are you in making routine adjustments to the engine? How often do you plan on driving it?

This is the time to be BRUTALLY honest with yourself as these are all questions which should be considered before you "build" something that may be totally counter to what you really want out of the Mustang.

Once you have made that decision, there are many folks on this Site who can and (I am sure) will steer you in the "right" direction.

BT

The absolute KEY issue you guys FIRST need to resolve is the one a couple folks have alluded to already and that is to REALISTICALLY decide what your "Performance" goals are.

Many times what one person sees as performance is not what another has in mind. What do you REALLY want out of the car most of the time? Do you plan on racing it? Do you plan on crusing? Does it have to be a "reliable" daily commuter? Are you concerned about gas mileage? How comfortable are you in making routine adjustments to the engine? How often do you plan on driving it?

This is the time to be BRUTALLY honest with yourself as these are all questions which should be considered before you "build" something that may be totally counter to what you really want out of the Mustang.

Once you have made that decision, there are many folks on this Site who can and (I am sure) will steer you in the "right" direction.

BT
I plan on racing it once in a while. I want it to reliable cause it will be my daily commuter during the summer. I am kinda concerned about gas mileage.

Nice, I love the 385 series. I have a '70 429 in mine (not the CJ).

I plan on racing it once in a while. I want it to reliable cause it will be my daily commuter during the summer. I am kinda concerned about gas mileage.
The terms "racing" and "gas mileage" are incompatible :p

My car is a daily driver and I probably get 10 miles to the gallon;

and it uses hi-test.

mike

Here is my two cents worth as they say. I had a totally stock 351 H code and here is what I did, however my car is for the street only. I added a cam from summit, a 600 cfm Holley, headers, 3' exhaust all the way back, HEI system, Edelbrock aluminum performer manifold. After I got the darned engine running after the rebuild, it works very well. I am impressed! Next I will do a little change with rear end gears, but it does work well and it still has the 2V Heads

The terms "racing" and "gas mileage" are incompatible :p

My car is a daily driver and I probably get 10 miles to the gallon;

and it uses hi-test.

mike
Im not going to race i chaged my mind

bit of a two way street there...Headers and a little bigger cam and such will help with better gas milage along with more horse power...But once you start dropping your gears...Your going to loose milage a bit...What rear end does your car have?...my cousin has a trans am...504 horse on the dyno...With same gears "high 2.75 i think"..and original motor..It got 14 mpg...About the same as my 351 4v....After he got 500 horses under the hood..and being easy on the pedal..He gets a amazing 21 mpg out of his trans am now..lol,..Long as he doesnt lead foot it....Once you start upping the horse power..Your making the motor more efficiant...So long as you dont got the pedal down too the floor..just about any motor mods will improve your gas milage..Besides lowering your rear end gear.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, figure out what you really want and build around it.

One confusion is there are two basic types of 351C stock heads. Called 2v and 4v they have different port sizes and valve sizes. Intake/exhaust manifolds and valves are not interchangeable between them. While it is true you can sometimes use the intakes/exhaust manifolds from one to the other, they basically do not line up well enough. Other than that, all parts are pretty much interchangeable and there typically isn't a designation between the two.

Especially confusing is deciding on an aftermarket intake manifold. There are many manifolds that support a four barrel carb that are made for 2V cleavland heads. THere are also ones that are made for the 4V heads. So pay particular attention when looking at manifolds/headers.

I agree on the "determine the long term plans for the engine" posts--also spend some time on the budget and figure out what you can afford. If the plans involve a cam swap, definitely plan on lifters, roller timing set, headers, an intake, carb, gaskets, fluids, etc. All this adds up quickly

Depending on the cam choice, it may require valve spring swapping and also could benefit from roller rockers. I have been down the cam swap road without changing the valve springs and WHOOPS, what happened to my oil pressure? Stock 351C valve springs can bottom out and you bend pushrods, next your engine throws the lifters out of their bores--which of course is kind of bad...oil pressure is gone and engine may stop running. Unfortunately, I know this one from experience when I was younger.

If the valve springs are OK or are changed, then you may need to be concerned with valve to piston interference. Good luck!

These engines do respond well to headers and an intake/carb swap, but again, if you plan a radical cam, the intake you choose could be different with the high lift/longer duration cam. Your headers could also be different with larger tube sizes.

Back