351 Cleveland goes dead

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tommyt

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang
Mach 1
351 Cleveland edlebrock carb Mr. Gasket regulator. 

New fuel system gas tank to carb. Got trash at the gas station.

still having trouble cleaned carb, changed filter, seems to still have spell of missing like trash. Filter looks clean. Could regulator be my problem have seen poor talk on Mr. Gasket brand. Timing can't be set precise as balancer doesn't read correct. Starts with easy touch off runs good to what seems like trash coming through. I ain't missing nothing am I? 

+1, just because you were having fuel problems doesn't mean that is what your problem still is. What kind of ignition do you have? Stock or aftermarket?

Going through the basics solves many of these problems. Check electrical connections, is the little braided ground wire in place between the breaker plate and the distributor body, engine and chassis grounds, ignition coil solidly mounted to a grounded surface, check vacuum and mechanical advance, fuel pressure and fuel delivery rate at the carburetor. Check for vacuum leaks.

Just curious why you're using a fuel pressure regulator?

I have  used a fuel regulator on edlebrock. They seem to flood out when you don't have one. I will check electrical there is a white substance that keeps showing up under the regulator(voltage). I have a new battery so I replacevoltage reg and capacitor. Also the dist is new but I'll check the ground as make sure on coil as well. Thanks for input.

Is the fuel pressure regulator before or after the fuel filter? If it's before it may have gotten some gunk in it. You might try running without it just to see if it improves the engine problems.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey y'all removed intake found a bent rod. Further inspection one lifter(bent rod one) no up and down movement. Extremely worn lifter. That's where I'm at now. Going be first time installing a cam.

Be careful with cam selection.  If the lift is sufficiently high and you do not change valve springs, you can get spring coil bind and have lots of bent pushrods...an no oil pressure...don’t ask how I figured that out, but I was only 19 at the time.  I have to wonder why you have a bent pushrod now?

Yup if you got a flat lobe done rebuild the engine you Will have metal flakes through the entire engine especially in the bearings

I’ll get back on it soon as I can. Knee replacement this past Monday might be out of garage awhile. Thanks for y’all’s input.

Will do so far so good make sure they do ct scan prior and they use the computer guided machine that maps it out so the cut is as small as possible.

69 Rustang I wonder how it got bent also. The lifter had no movement at all when I cycled the engine using the switch. Maybe all that backfiring when the distributor was bad?

Got my knee and couldn’t be happier. I can walk instead of waddling. Dr. Sharp is one that uses the robot computer guided system. Make sure ur doctor uses that system.

I wish the Mustang was doing as good as me. Replaced cam,lifters, intake, carb, harmonic balancer, water pump, ps pump, new fan, and installed shroud. Installed new temp sender and touched up the connections for oil,temp, and coil. I enjoy wiring.

Still got same problem running at 2000rpm to break in cam after 15 minutes started sputtering and died. Also the heat gauge was close to full deflection. Called it a day.

Now this dying stuff is crazy. One thing I’ve done is beat on the steering wheel with a rubber hammer. Maybe I have damaged the ignition. The wheel is mounted 90 degree off and one side is stripped out. I’ve bent my puller and now plan on trying to weld to one side so I can pull it off. Open to ideas steering wheels are supposed to come off.

I’ve talked to much any help or ideas greatly appreciated.

I don't think you could have damaged the ignition switch by banging on the steering wheel, but the switch may need adjusting.

You need a puller that is strong enough that it won't bend. Tighten it down and then tap on the bolt while pulling back on the wheel. Do not bang on the bolt, especially if you have a tilt wheel. I would also spray it with some penetrating oil and let it set for a while before trying it again.

Coil is reading 10v during operation. I have replaced once and will be replacing again when I go to petronix.

I will soak the wheel in oil.

Stock ignition? I have had a condenser go bad and it would run fine until the condenser got hot and then gradually start to miss and finally die. I thought it was fuel related and it drove me crazy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back