351c 4v rebuild

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burbygurby

Reaction score
My Car
'73 mach 1 q-code
I have a matching numbers 73' mach 1 and before i got it the engine was took out to be rebuilt but was never finished. It has been bored 0.030" and is missing piston heads a cam, rocker arms, and push rods. I am trying to get about 400 hp out of it any suggestions for what parts i should look into.

I will assume that this will be your first experience in building Cleveland Fords, are you personally planning on building the engine?

My 351C-2V (H-Code) has the following, and it's putting out a little North of 400hp. I'm pretty sure with a set of 4V heads, and the Edelbrock 4V Performer intake, you might get a little more. Hope it helps!
  • Edelbrock Performer intake
  • Edelbrock 1406 Performer 600CFM carb
  • Holley Mighty Mite electric fuel pump
  • CompCams High-Energy 270/270 @ .566" roller cam
  • CompCams High-Energy lifters & pushrods
  • CompCams High-Energy 1.73 roller rockers
  • Crane Cams 7/16" screw-in rocker studs
  • Keith Black 9.5:1 hypereutectic flat-top pistons
  • Duraspark II ignition and distributor
  • Accel Super-Coil & 8mm wires
  • Hooker Competition ceramic-coated headers
  • Pypes Street Pro mufflers
  • Pypes 2.5" stainless exhaust with 'X' pipe
  • Pypes 2.5" chrome 'slash' tips
http://www.mister4x4.net/cars/Mach_1/Frankenstang_20180928.mp4?_=1

Your engine is called a "Q code" and CobraJet and in '73 came with open chambers and dished piston to reduce compression ratio to 7.9:1 for emissions. By using flat top pistons you will bring the static compression ratio up to 8.6:1, the same as the '72 Q codes. A mild performance camshaft, like the one that Mister 4x4 used, will bring the dynamic compression ratio down to around 8.2:1, which is fine for pump gas.

I'd ordered the cam kit through the engine shop who was doing the machine work, and they included all of their labor with everything. I would say that list is somewhere around $5K straight from Summit Racing.

I got it back from them, painted and built the engine myself (aside from the cam bearings having been installed, along with the pistons mounted on the con-rods - oh, and the block drilled & tapped for the roller lifter 'keeper', seen in the valley).

enginereborn1.jpg

Pistons & lifters
enginereborn3.jpg

Heads & water pump
engineheads.jpg

Roller rockers, intake, pulleys, and fuel pump block-off plate (oil pump, windage tray, and oil pan underneath):
intake1.jpg

Took a break to work on replacing the rear sheet metal (trunk, corners, quarter panels, taillight panel, et al), and finished things up to get ready to drop in - the 7-blade fan came from my pal Jim's '63.5 Galaxie 500 XL (390) - he preferred flex fans.
engine1.jpg

First fire-up. It's ALIVE... and it's a beast!

Last edited:
Great job Eric, it is a very good feeling to hear it start up on the first shot. I felt the same way when I started mine and each and every time since.
Congratulations.

Tom
Thanks! Even though that was back in 2013, I'm still loving it. The Holley Mighty Mite is a great fuel pump for the carb... I just turn the key, let the pump prime the system (usually 3-4 seconds if it's been sitting), tap the throttle once and it fires right up. The Holley Black rotary vane pump (as heard in the first fire-up video) was too noisy, but the Mighty Mite is super quiet. I also installed it just inside of the rear wheel well on the frame, with a homemade rock shroud.

fuelpumpnew.jpg

fuelpumpcover.jpg

It'll do a fine job as a lift pump for the Edelbrock E-Street EFI (when I get a chance to install it - finally). I have a similar set-up in my '80 CJ-7, and it feeds the Edelbrock Pro-Flo 4 MPFI system w/EFI sump nicely.

Yes - I'm a HUGE Edelbrock fan. :cool:

Here's the Jeep shortly after first fire-up with the AMC 304/TF999 automatic I swapped-in to replace the aging 258 I-6/T-176 4-speed. I've always wanted a V8 in my Jeep, and figured now was the time to do it, since I'm planning on retiring in about 5.5 years (then I can just enjoy my toys hopefully without any major projects left to do or cost too much $$$).

https://mister4x4.net/mister4x4/wp-content/uploads/2023/10/VID_20231007_165620816.mp4

Latest posts

Back