351c after run questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

waterlife

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible
On a 1973 mustang, 351c 2v, after the key is turned off the engine has after run. What causes this? Is it a major or minor repair?

Thanks

There should be a solenoid on the carb that is energized when the key is one that pushes the throttle open slightly. Idle should be set with this energized. When you turn off the key if backs off closing the throttle completely to prevent dieseling. Is that there and working properly?

Define "After run" if you will.

Pending that definition:

If it's where the car seem to run for a bit longer then dies, we use to call that dieseling. It could be caused by timing, or fuel issue.

Was looking at a 1973 Mustang and the current owner told me that he shuts is off in drive to prevent this from happening. I just wanted to make sure it wasnt a valve train issue. He did stat that the car was idling high??

More than likely a carb issue or possibly timing to far advanced. Especially based on the fact that he indicated the idle is high. Either way prob a simple fix. If you end up getting it and need a new 2bbl carb let me know. Just pulled mine. it is a motorcraft stamped carb that was remanufactured about 2 years ago by Uremco. It worked great just doing some upgrades and no longer need.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/urm-7-7344/overview/make/ford/year/1973/model/mustang

Latest posts

Back