351c cam lobe ID. Have to measure lift

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryunker

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach1 351C
[url=https://ibb.co/fF5Ono][img]https://preview.ibb.co/dKMw7o/20180526_110612.jpg[/img][/url]
I have the heads off my 351c 4v due to head gasket coolant leak. Took them in to the machine shop to evaluate before reinstall. The guy there is very knowledgible and he asked me to measure the lift on the cam, so he could double check the geometry of the valve train. 

I plan on doing this either in the morning or on Saturday. Starting at the front of the engine, what lobes are intake vs exhaust?

Thanks for all of the help.

Rich

The first two on the right bank (passenger side) are intake (1st) and exhaust (2nd). The complete sequence for the right bank is IEIEIEIE (front to rear). The sequence for the left bank (drivers side) is EIEIEIEI.

I measured cam lift at the lifter. .537 and .545, also installed are comp cams magnum rockers at the ratio of 1.72.. hydraulic cam and guide plates.

351C cc4v heads

Ok engine guys, what problems or observations do you see? Heads are in the machine shop. Ted right away questioned stuff like the valve seals are riding very high on the valve stem. Then additionally he saw the valve springs not snug in the retainers. Which is why he had me measure the cam lift.

My first thought is valve recession.

I'm assuming that the lift numbers you gave are the total lift at the valves and not cam lobe?
Measured with a dial indicator on the lifter.
That'll give you .924" and .937" lift at the valve - I don't think that is possible.

I measured cam lift at the lifter. .537 and .545, also installed are comp cams magnum rockers at the ratio of 1.72.. hydraulic cam and guide plates.

351C cc4v heads

Ok engine guys, what problems or observations do you see?  Heads are in the machine shop. Ted right away questioned stuff like the valve seals are riding very high on the valve stem. Then additionally he saw the valve springs not snug in the retainers. Which is why he had me measure the cam lift.
No way those are numbers at the lifters-it just isn't so-that would translate to a cam with actual lift of .942 which is not possible without heavy, heavy modification.

351C cc4v heads

Ok engine guys, what problems or observations do you see?  Heads are in the machine shop. Ted right away questioned stuff like the valve seals are riding very high on the valve stem. Then additionally he saw the valve springs not snug in the retainers. Which is why he had me measure the cam lift.
No way those are numbers at the lifters-it just isn't so-that would translate to a cam with actual lift of .942 which is not possible without heavy, heavy modification.
Yes unreasonable.  Now I have to pull the cam. I will post the actual lift when I get it out.

The valve seals ride directly at the top of them stem. That's what stirred up this mess, along with the leaky head gasket.

Back