351C EFI

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

don blanchard

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
41 chevy panel
34 streetbeast
Hi, have a '72 351C, with 4v heads, looking for a EFI kit. anyone know of a good one, or have any experience with this? thanks, don

I have not done it yet, but the FITech Kits from Summit Racing appear to be the way to go.  From my experience, Summit Racing has the best technical support staff for that type of aftermarket upgrade.

You should plan on about 1200 to 1500 dollars for the kit, and plan to pull your tank to retrofit the tank mount pump.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-31003/media/images

This one includes an in line fuel pump, so you may be able to keep it closer to $1000.  I have not done it yet, so I will let the experts chime in.

kcmash

Several members have done the conversion, FiTech and Holley Sniper seem to be the favored. Searching the forum will come up with several threads about it. Some have used the surge tank, some have used in tank pumps.

The Search function is under the "More" tab at the upper right of this page.

Last edited by a moderator:
Keep in mind the promo videos are bit misleading when it comes to the timescale to install in a mustang 71-73. Not the units themselves.

None of the video tells you there are many brackets to be fabricated & some existing modded. That the kits do not come with Ford kick downs if you run an automatic. They also lack basic safety options that you must add, even the master kits do not offer proper casings for external pumps or an inertia switch...

Don't get me wrong, EFI is fantastic, just saying you need plan your install, have the necessary extra hardware, metal sheets in house and take your time to do it. If you have the luxury of a lift, you'll save hours of course, but even with one, there are still many things that need be done right. Way more than the advertised "done in a weekend".

Last edited by a moderator:
It's a bit more expensive, but Edelbrock E-Street has a returnless system that doesn't require pulling your tank.  It also fits under a factory Ram Air air cleaner without clearance issues to the hood... if you have Ram Air, that is.

I suggest using the RobBMC fuel pump. It is a sump pump system that would work with the mechanical pump and you can use the charcoal vent line from the tank asa return from the pump. No need to run an additional return line.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

thanks for all the feed back. these systems seem to be carb replacement units, has anyone used a multi port injection system? I know it will require a new manifold and higher price but seams like it would be more efficient system....

Warm up the credit card. http://www.promracing.com/pro-m-efi-engine-management-systems/ford-complete-efi-systems/351-cleveland-complete-mass-air-sequential-port-efi-system.html

Chuck

I'm not surprised by that price. There's more to it than just a manifold and fuel rails. The fuel management computer needs to know the engine speed and when to start the injector sequencing, which requires a crankshaft position sensor, which requires a different harmonic balancer or add-on reluctor ring. The computer is also more sophisticated and requires more sensor inputs.

You'd have a nice accurate injection for sure, expensive but if you do racing it might be worth it.

Tho, seeing how well the unit performs (lots of online dyno videos show they are after install with just the auto learn tables 10HP average bellow what the same engine does with a perfectly tuned carb). Adjusting the tables would likely fix that small diff and likely out perform the carb at all rpms. Strangely the conservative purists doing the tests I've seen on multiple videos, never tune the units so the carb get stamped as winner.

Here's one example of a fitech on a 440. Another "carb wins"

An option i have looked into is the universal Fitech GoPort. You just have to find a shop that can prepare a manifold to accept the fuel injectors. This unit will fire injectors in batch so two will go at a time. I dont know if there will be a power improvement though.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fif-30014?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-fitech-fuel-injection&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIpNG9_Pfz4QIV5v_jBx3XIATkEAkYByABEgKqY_D_BwE

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I just installed an 8injector Holley Super Sniper on my 383 Cleveland in my 68 Coupe.

While it took me some time because I ran all new fuel system , lines, fuel cell, etc.

I didn’t get to drive it much before a major mechanical engine issue but I really liked it....

Gimme another few weeks and I’ll have it all back together.

91bcc8f2289c4b8da638d963e6517462.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thanks for all the feed back. these systems seem to be carb replacement units, has anyone used a multi port injection system? I know it will require a new manifold and higher price but seams like it would be more efficient system....
I do believe Trick Flow makes the 351C EFI R-Series manifold that allows the use of 5.8 Windsor EFI components. Requires more work on your part, but a number of people have done them, so much has been figured out.

Latest posts

Back