351C Stumbling at low RPM

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As others have said, the single plane intake does"soften" the bottom end quite a bit. And 16-18 initial timing, depending on how much overlap the cam has, would help. This link may help you understand how the Ed carb works. https://www.edelbrock.com/pub/media/wysiwyg/documents/carb-owners-manual.pdf

There is a calibration kit for the 1407 carb. I believe it is Ed PN 1480. You are wise to keep Mrs. Dude happy. ;) Stay with it, you will get it figured out. Chuck

Edelbrock tends to tune their carbs lean, and a 351C 4V with a single plane intake will not like anything being lean. Step one would be to verify float levels. A low float level will cause a lean condition all over the low end. Personally, I would do anything else before checking the floats.

It is often impossible to tune an eddy carb properly because they do not supply a wide enough range of parts to tune it. Without knowing exactly what nyour issue is, I would suggest the following:

Check the timing at idle.

If you have a single diaphragm vacuum can, remove the distributor vacuum hose and check the timing again.

If the timing reduces, this can cause a problem and it needs to be corrected.

Irregardless of the results, plug the vacuum hose then rotate the distributor 3 degrees clockwise and listen to the engine rpm. If the rpm increase noticeably, reduce the idle to its normal level then rotate the distributor 3 more degrees and listen to the engine. If the rpm increases noticeably, leave the timing there and leave the hose disconnected ten test drive it. If the rpm only increases very little or none at all or the engine starts to idle rough at all, turn the distributor counterclockwise 3 degrees to its previous position then test drive.

Post all results.

Back