400 FMX

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code 4 speed
1973 Chevelle 454 SS
2005 Magnum RT
2008 Colorado
When I talked with the owner of my car, he made it pretty clear he was not a mechanic or up on Mach 1's. I had him take pictures and knew the engine was not the original by the 2v Weiand intake. He thought that was factory because he was told all Q codes had aluminum intakes.

When I pulled the motor out, I found that it was a rather rare D1AE-6016-A2C 400 FMX Block. These blocks were only cast in 1973 and what made them unique was the fact that they had bosses in the block that could be tapped to put them in anything from a pantera to a pick up. The back of the block also had both sets of holes for either a C6 or FMX depending on where it was going.400fmx.jpg400fmx2.jpg

What was sad was when it was put in my Mach 1 they didn't know what they had and that all that was needed was to drill and tap the block bosses for a 351. They just saw the 400 motor mounts and here is what they did. Measures 7 inches X 5 inches X 1-1/2 inches. Good thing I'm replacing the front frame or I'd have been really mad cutting those suckers out.DSCN1049.JPG :huh:

I have not personally seen one but according to my reference materials, the D3AE-B for the 1973 400 CI motor was the one that is considered rare. The rarity is based on the fact that this particular 400CI block allegedly has the same bell housing pattern as the 351C.

The D1AE-A2C, along with the D1AE-A, D1AE-AC, D4AE-B2A, D5AZ, D7TE-A2B and D8xx were made between 1971-1980 and all supposedly have the Big Block (429/460) bell housing pattern and big block motor mount bosses.

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html

BT

I have not personally seen one but according to my reference materials, the D3AE-B for the 1973 400 CI motor was the one that is considered rare. The rarity is based on the fact that this particular 400CI block allegedly has the same bell housing pattern as the 351C.

The D1AE-A2C, along with the D1AE-A, D1AE-AC, D4AE-B2A, D5AZ, D7TE-A2B and D8xx were made between 1971-1980 and all supposedly have the Big Block (429/460) bell housing pattern and big block motor mount bosses.

http://raceabilene.com/kelly/hotrod/engine.html

BT
The one pictured looks like a small block bolt pattern to me.

...and you guys appear to be ABSOLUTELY correct as I see "it" now! The approximate 1" higher deck height to where the bosses (presumably) are is evident in the picture and supports the "multi-tasking" theory:).

It actually looks more like it has the small block bell house pattern with the "bosses" for a 351M, regular 400 or 429/460. According to another of my references, these were apparently installed in full sized Fords with the FMX transmission.

Is the code on the FMX transmission "PHB-AD?"

BT

Yes, that is one of the things that is "throwing me", the casting number. Supposedly, this particular (hybrid?) block was only made for the one year (1973) which makes one believe it should have a D3 number.

That is why I was asking about the casting number on the transmission.

Very interesting subject:)!

BT

You'll love this story.

Guy hears I'm redoing a Mach 1 and want to get rid of the motor I have. Turns out he tore down the 72 convertible he bought original 17 years ago to bring back to pristeen condition.

I'd already researched the block#.

Calls me needing a motor and we dickered from there. I find out he gets divorced and judge awards HER the car and he has to deliver it to her in running condition. He tells the judge "HELL will freeze over first!!!" and spends 2 weeks in jail. We drilled and tapped the 2 cleveland holes and it bolted right in. Cool concept. Moral is: If your wife isn't behind your projects. BE PREPARED TO BUY DIAMONDS :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, as we all know Ford has done some "strange" things over the years.

One question I have has to do with the casting number which seem not to match the data that I have been able to find on the block. Specifically, if the block was only built for one year (1973), why does the block "Blizzard" post up have the D1 casting number?

I think we can ALL agree that the block in question (Blizzard's block?) has the small block bell housing with provisions (the bosses) for the big block (351m, 400, 429 and 460). This is in line with the data that I have been able to find in my reference materials.

I guess the other question is, does your block have the same casting number (D1) as Blizzard's block or a D3 number?

Either way, I have learned something NEW today:)!

BT

So what is the moral of this story? A needle in the haystack or just another ford anomaly? Stranger things have happened I guess, maybe they found a group of old castings and instead of throwing them out decided to use them in 73.

Back