460 Build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like there's a lot of good feedback here already.

I don't have much to add as my 429/ 460 experience is limited to a FRPP crate motor I've used in my kit car which I hope to, at some point, slide into my 72.

What I will add is that there are a lot of parts out there, factory and aftermarket, to consider. Your first post asks about meat for porting, but answering that question on an internet forum isn't going to get you much useable info until you layout what your performance goal is.

If you are looking for 450-ish crank hp, then a set of OEM iron casting will work with little to no work other than a good valve job. On the other hand, if you want 550 crank hp, carefully picking the best iron castings is necessary, and you will need to 'massage' them.

In my past experience with putting together other combos myself, I've mostly learned what not to do, and I would suggest you pick the best block, build a good solid bottom end, choose a good street cam, recondition a quality set of iron castings that will yield the compression ratio that you want, this will allow for head upgrades in the future. I say this as this will provide the best bang for your buck now, and you won't have to re-spend money in the future...

Just my $0.02!!!

Looks like there's a lot of good feedback here already.

I don't have much to add as my 429/ 460 experience is limited to a FRPP crate motor I've used in my kit car which I hope to, at some point, slide into my 72.

What I will add is that there are a lot of parts out there, factory and aftermarket, to consider. Your first post asks about meat for porting, but answering that question on an internet forum isn't going to get you much useable info until you layout what your performance goal is.

If you are looking for 450-ish crank hp, then a set of OEM iron casting will work with little to no work other than a good valve job. On the other hand, if you want 550 crank hp, carefully picking the best iron castings is necessary, and you will need to 'massage' them.

In my past experience with putting together other combos myself, I've mostly learned what not to do, and I would suggest you pick the best block, build a good solid bottom end, choose a good street cam, recondition a quality set of iron castings that will yield the compression ratio that you want, this will allow for head upgrades in the future. I say this as this will provide the best bang for your buck now, and you won't have to re-spend money in the future...

Just my $0.02!!!
I asked about porting because of the poor flow of the exhaust ports. TommyK's link was what I needed. The reason I haven't set a hard goal is because it's dependent on the parts available to me. I will say once I have the heads pick out I will have a clearer vision of where this build is going to go. I still have to build a variable flow bench and buy a carbine for porting the heads. I'm also going to get a subscription to reincarnate because he is the only guy in the internet that I can find with cutaways of 460 heads.

So of the two 460 blocks I have, it turns out that the one I thought was junk is the better of them. Its a D0VE-A with boss bulkheads. I'm totally going to four bolt main it.

Finally got my hands on some heads, D0VE-C's. I think the previous owner converted them to adjustable screw in stud which will help because i want a roller setup. The mad porter's site is already a great reference and I haven't even subscribed yet. http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com/Flow-comparison-figures-walt-n-nutter-index-1.html This chart alone is a boon for the next step of picking a cam. I'm planning for a CR of 10.1 for 91 octane.

Back