460?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just repairing a rear quarter, he strips, and I shoot it, he pays for all material. I was leaning to a built Windsor from the start but this came up

Just repairing a rear quarter, he strips, and I shoot it, he pays for all material. I was leaning to a built Windsor from the start but this came up
Well thats a real good deal ! I did forget to mention..The wow factor..The 429 definitively has it in that dept for sure !

Sounds like a fair deal to me. Were you considering a stroker kit as part of the Windsor build? if so how big? Ever consider a 408C or Clevor? I've had good results with both and it weighs significantly less. Just a thought.

Chuck

Sounds like a fair deal to me. Were you considering a stroker kit as part of the Windsor build? if so how big? Ever consider a 408C or Clevor? I've had good results with both and it weighs significantly less. Just a thought.

Chuck
You know guys, you learn things by doing...28 years ago I started basically volunteering my time at eagle body shop and worked my way up. I used to be strictly a chevy man for several reasons...parts availability, cheaper price, unlimited combinations, and ease of work. I can build a SB chevy by feel alone from sheer repetition. People stick a SBC in everything. As I have gotten older my opinion and desires have changed. I have built many 302s, inline 300s, flatheads, etc. but I have no idea what a clevor is?

Sorry about that, I should have defined the term. The clevor has the benefit of an additional .7 inch deck height (more possible stroke) and a stock oiling system configuration that gives greater priority to the mains and rods than a stock cleveland oiling system. The down side, unless some pretty trick bearing spacer are used, is 3 inch mains rather than 2.75 inch mains (oil heating). This is not an issue unless you are doing long distance racing or trying to turn over 6500 RPM for short (drag) racing. I built 404 CID one out of mostly OEM Ford parts about 16 years ago and it was impressive. A 3800 lb Cougar, set up for road racing with the exception of 9 inch slicks, went 11.54 @120 max RPM was 6400. Chuck

There is a forum www.460ford.com you me be interested in. There is a guy BYRONRACE in there. I don't know if he knows everything about 385 series motors but he certainly knows more than most. There is also a Thread that has a bunch of "formulas" for different power ratings. Don't forget you can also build a 520 stroker for about the same price. With and motor, heads seem to be the key.

http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=119213

My 460 in-a-nutshell build looks like this:

- 1975ish low mileage Lincoln (D1 block I think), standard bore, stock dished piston "rering and bearing job" bottom end.

- 1968 closed chamber (C9) heads, ports quickly cleaned up.

- SS valves, springs matched to Lunati Bracket Master cam (1500-5000 RPM).

- Performer intake, 750 Holley.

Not bragging, but there's only a couple of hundred bucks in this engine.

Trans is the stock Lincoln C6. I have a zero timed spare built trans if that one grenades. Intended gears would be either the 3.25's that are in the car now, or the 3.50 set that's in inventory.

I'd be ecstatic if the car touched the 12 second bracket at the strip.

Biggest problem is what to use for exhaust. Headers are rather expensive and fit is generally problematic. Do a search on this forum for details on this subject.

Last edited by a moderator:
"Biggest problem is what to use for exhaust. Headers are rather expensive and fit is generally problematic. Do a search on this forum for details on this subject."

very true, after a lot of looking and research, I've decided to make my own, will be a pain in the ass but at the end of the day I'll get what I want..

To start, I have a 71 vert, 302, C4 car. I know I can get some great hp from that but have an oppertunity to obtain a 76 460 with trans built to my specs in trade for bodywork on a 54 merc. Not experienced in 460 fords so questions arise.

1. How big a pain to install?

2. How should it be built? (pump gas, max hp)

I know others have done this so just looking for suggestions
Here's my take impression (My new mach has 429-460) It's all about power to weight ratio..The motor in my car was done extremely well & puts out some serious hp...But you can get almost the same hp out of a built 351w stroker..With a big savings in weight..The install is not a big deal..All the parts needed are readily available. What I have noticed is that even with the stock big block susp (done on my car) The handling still sucks..My other car Q code 351 competition susp package stock would make the 429 car look stupid on any type of road course..It's a much better balanced car..The point being unless your doing any 1/4 mile racing if you do the 429 You must do a modern upgraded susp package..By that I mean a front coil over conversation..larger front & rear sway bars etc...NOT STOCK off the shelf 429 stuff..It dosn't work if you want to go fast ..feel safe doing it & handle...I plan on doing that very shortly on the 429 Car..I can't drive the car the way it is now & feel safe doing it..(has all new STOCK 429 suspension components) It's not cutting the mustard in the handling dept. I have all the specs receipts etc (Kasse heads)..if you like for the build of the 429.BTW most likely I'm going to dump the 429 in the new mach for a built 351w stroker in the near future...So i may have a bunch of the conversation stuff for sale...Also is it just body work ? or body paint you pay for supplies.?
No offense Q,I respect your opinion a lot, but I still like my big block .I agree you can build a lighter weight 351 with the same horsepower,but there is something about driving a big block 4 speed around town.

Last edited by a moderator:
The guys are right. The swap parts are readily available, and as said Do the frame connecters, The torque is big. One thing I might add, You mentioned Kasse heads and he is my HERO on Fords, but check close if you are thinking P-51 heads. It is my understanding that there is a clearence problem with the brake master cyl. and the P-51's. Mine is by no means a monster but I think possibly what you are considering.

460 bored .30 over

flat top pistons

comp cams big mutha thumpr cam (hyd flat tappet)

mildly milled and ported police interceptor heads

roller rockers

holley 850 DP

Edelbrock preformer manifold

1-7/8" crites headers

recurved duraspark dist.

all computer estimates are saying 514 to 525 horse. Just now getting ready to set it in the car.

Also have seen results where electric fan will bump it 15 or so horse.

Good luck, Oh and mine is a budget build.

Back