5.0L swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steves71ragtop

Reaction score
My Car
71 convertible all stock 302 auto
Was looking at swapping a 5.0L from a 2000 explore into my 71 vert. Does anyone have any thoughts on this swap. I thought about keeping the EFI and transmission, i would have to change the tail shaft. I have a complete explore that i can pull wiring/computer from. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Was looking at swapping a 5.0L from a 2000 explore into my 71 vert. Does anyone have any thoughts on this swap. I thought about keeping the EFI and transmission, i would have to change the tail shaft. I have a complete explore that i can pull wiring/computer from. Any advice would be great. Thanks

Is the tranny an auto ? Should work ok. There's a guy that comes to the local car show with a 5.0 swap. Might need some mounts for the tranny ?

Is the tranny an auto ? Should work ok. There's a guy that comes to the local car show with a 5.0 swap. Might need some mounts for the tranny ?
thanks for replying. anyone know were to get a wiring diagram, i would assume i would need it for the explore since i would need to use the computer for engine and tranny.

steves71ragtop,

I have a good friend who installed a 5.0L from a, I think, 1998 Mercury Cougar. He had the entire auto and pulled the harness out. He removed a lot of the parts and wires from the harness, and the in the end, he wished he had gone with the harness listed below. He did istall the harness along with the computer and it really runs well. It was the headache and time converting the Cougar harness into the 1973 mustang.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/ford-racing-engine-harness-efi-for-5-0-liter-engine/p/M12071A50/?utm_source=google&utm_medium=merchant&utm_campaign=shopping&gclid=CIznnrm0o8cCFYmPHwodlZgNmA

Keep us Posted.

mustang7173

Last edited by a moderator:
Back