520 BBF ideas.. (Daily driver)

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I highly recommend RHP in Tacoma.WA.Scott Johnston is the owner and builder.He specializes in just what you are looking for.He built my engine and really knows his big Fords.Check out his website.Reincarnation High Perfomance.

Well I highly recommend RHP in Tacoma.WA.Scott Johnston is the owner and builder.He specializes in just what you are looking for.He built my engine and really knows his big Fords.Check out his website.Reincarnation High Perfomance.
Thank you. I appreciate it. I will give him a call..

Super nice and professional.Helped me with a lot more than just building my engine.Gave me lots of good advice.

What size rear tire are you going to run?

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice to hear. I currently have 275's on it.

Last edited by a moderator:
After talking to a hand full of people (most recently lduke12) about the idea of either a stroked Windsor or Cleveland it swapping to a 460 based motor, I have decided to plan a 520 stroker as a daily driver (or at least daily driver capable).

Regardless of motor choice, I am planning to use either a TKO-600 (if not the T-56) and a built 9 inch with 3.50:1 gears. Everyone as an opinion about a car, a build or whatever. Please feel free to chime in with advise. This will be my first big block and would like to know I'm at least heading in the right direction.

I have looked at 500 BBF builds, 520 BBF builds and even 496 BBC builds and have come up with the following "recipe" if you will:

-520 stroker with 9.75+/- compression

-SCJ aluminum heads (am also watching to see how the AFR heads turn out)

-Edelbrock Air Gap intake (possibly the Victor EFI intake with Wilson elbow if I decide on EFI)

-236/242 @ .050" (unsure of lift)-112' lsa (prefer a idle that's not too choppy and will work with power brakes. Should also work well with the EFI if I go that route).

I also plan to use aluminum parts where I can to keep the front end weight down (not the block).

As for exhaust, I'm thinking a set of shorties from Ford Powertrain, an X-pipe with magnaflow mufflers and 3 inch exhaust..

Opinions anyone? Thanks..

Mike
The cam is small for the displacement. You should calculate the DCR if your plan is to run pump gas.

The flow characteristics of SCJ heads lend themselves to solid flat cams. The advice on using caution with hydraulic rollers in regard to geometry issues is well founded.

The FPA mid-length headers fit OK and are good to 600 HP.

Nothing wrong with a Torker II if hood clearance is of any concern. If it isn't there are better manifolds for max performance.

IMO a 6 speed transmission is wasted on a BBF.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just wondering how a 6 speed is 'wasted' on a bbf? This is an honest question, I have a 73 with a 429 I want to build into a scj and put a tremec 6 speed behind it.

I honestly don't think it is. I had a 6-speed on a supercharged 393w. It was perfect for highway (not freeway) speeds, it pulled nicely, and it was nice when I downshifted on the freeway. I loved mind for a daily driver..

After talking to a hand full of people (most recently lduke12) about the idea of either a stroked Windsor or Cleveland it swapping to a 460 based motor, I have decided to plan a 520 stroker as a daily driver (or at least daily driver capable).

Regardless of motor choice, I am planning to use either a TKO-600 (if not the T-56) and a built 9 inch with 3.50:1 gears. Everyone as an opinion about a car, a build or whatever. Please feel free to chime in with advise. This will be my first big block and would like to know I'm at least heading in the right direction.

I have looked at 500 BBF builds, 520 BBF builds and even 496 BBC builds and have come up with the following "recipe" if you will:

-520 stroker with 9.75+/- compression

-SCJ aluminum heads (am also watching to see how the AFR heads turn out)

-Edelbrock Air Gap intake (possibly the Victor EFI intake with Wilson elbow if I decide on EFI)

-236/242 @ .050" (unsure of lift)-112' lsa (prefer a idle that's not too choppy and will work with power brakes. Should also work well with the EFI if I go that route).

I also plan to use aluminum parts where I can to keep the front end weight down (not the block).

As for exhaust, I'm thinking a set of shorties from Ford Powertrain, an X-pipe with magnaflow mufflers and 3 inch exhaust..

Opinions anyone? Thanks..

Mike
The cam is small for the displacement. You should calculate the DCR if your plan is to run pump gas.

The flow characteristics of SCJ heads lend themselves to solid flat cams. The advice on using caution with hydraulic rollers in regard to geometry issues is well founded.

The FPA mid-length headers fit OK and are good to 600 HP.

Nothing wrong with a Torker II if hood clearance is of any concern. If it isn't there are better manifolds for max performance.

IMO a 6 speed transmission is wasted on a BBF.

I don't mean to hijack the thread, I'm just wondering how a 6 speed is 'wasted' on a bbf? This is an honest question, I have a 73 with a 429 I want to build into a scj and put a tremec 6 speed behind it.
Because the overriding characteristic of a BBF and especially a stroked one is the abundance of torque throughout the rpm range. You don't need a deep first gear to help launch the car and you don't need the extra OD gear to keep the rpm's up enough to make the torque necessary to keep it happy at lower cruise speeds. Also, any type of performance cam/intake combo is probably not going to operate smoothly at the cruise rpm a .50 OD will produce, especially with a carb.

Finally, the T56 speed swap tends to be much more expensive than the more common TKO500/600. I just don't see the benefit.

I totally agree about not getting the .50 (6th gear). I had the .63 (6th gear).

Back