60th Anniversary

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, I feel old now. I remember how excited I was to go to the 30th Anniversary show in Charlotte. Then during the show good old Bill showed up and the show went on lockdown for 3 1/2 hours. As for Birmingham—I really hadn’t been paying much attention as I hadn’t realized it was now 60 years. Wow.

My brother and I will be there in my 2012 GT500. Look for Race Red with the glass top and graphite Shelby wheels. Won't be more than one or two there, limited combo.

Would love to bring my '73, but this is how she sits at the moment.

15122.jpeg

15124.jpeg

15121.jpeg

I've had this car for 30+ years and wanted to make the 30th in Charlotte, but, well...... that didn't happen. Looking forward to Mustang overload, and the Speedway and Museum are just fantastic.

I will be there with the 72 and in the Conservator class for the first time. Looking forward to not being judged anymore for 3-4 hours in Concourse class. I am really looking forward to getting my Blue MCA medallion on Saturday afternoon. It has been a long 10 yrs. working towards that goal. The car was completed 2 weeks before and shown at the 50th in Charlotte. That was goal 1. With the feedback from several MCA folks at the show I decided to go into concourse showing and did my first MCA show in 2016 in St. Augustine, FL. Since then it has been 1 or 2 shows a year almost every year to get to the points needed to retire from Concourse. The goal was never to show the car through MCA when I set off starting the restoration. The goal was to restore the first car I ever owned that more people told me was not worth anything but a parts car to something I am very proud to have learned and worked as hard as I could and as much as my strict budget could allow. It has been an honor and a blessing to have experienced the events this car has allowed me to attend and meet so many people in the hobby. The 60th will really be a great finish line for this phase of the 72. Looking forward to meeting anyone else who will be attending. Safe travels if you are.

As stated above, I only found out about the event from this thread. I went and unless your car was on the proving grounds lot, I saw it. My wife and I went down every row and looked at every car. We hopped the tram and realized there were cars on the proving grounds at about 1515. We saw it as we left the stop and I figured it would take at least 20 minutes to make the loop leaving us with little time to walk the lot, so we decide to skip it. As we walked in she mentioned wanting to see a Dark Horse, because that's her love now. I told her I didn't really think one would be there because they aren't exactly common. We saw three, two of which were running on the track. I got to see so many Mustangs I never thought I would get to see in person, and also got to talk to some knowledgeable dudes that taught me a few things. This was basically a once in a lifetime show for us because we probably won't travel cross country for the 70th and I have no idea if there is any place where more Mustangs come together. We usually get to see a few Mustangs at local car shows but today we were surrounded by them in every form they are shown in. I even ran into the Boss 302 I have seen leave the local drive-in that chirps the tires when he grabs second gear.

We spent over six hours looking at Mustangs with them screaming down the track as background music. Thanks @Mac for this thread, wouldn't have been there without your thread.

Unfortunately I just saw this post and the show is over now. I wish so much that I would have thought to make the connection between the show and the forum then meet as many members as I could while I was there. I went but feel like I only experienced 20% of what I could have experienced if I had planned things better. Still, I hooked up with many old friends I had not seen in years. I actually ran into bkdunka at Buckees today as he was leaving the show. We were both in line to get ethanol free gas. I’m kinda feeling like I am in withdrawal from a drug right now. Sort of sad that it is over and feeling like I will never have the opportunity do something this good again. It truly was a lifetime experience especially since it was so close to me. Barbers Motorsports Park is an unreal venue for something like this. Here’s a video of my first time driving one of my Stangs on a road course albeit a small one. It was free and I ran my car through it about eight times. I absolutely flogged the car and spun out twice but didn’t wreck it. The car performed better than I could have expected. Most fun I’ve had in my life!
]
View attachment MOV_1110.mov

Last edited:
Sounds like you had a good time. I went to the 40th in Charlotte and it was overwhelming with all the cars and activities that were going on.

I thought about going but didn’t know if I wanted to make the trek without being able to get my car in the show. Sounds like you had a great time. I’m now thinking of going to the big Mustang celebration in Charlotte on the 17th of April.
Overwhelming is the word for sure. We were just shocked at the number of cars there, all Mustangs. Well, except for the GT. We watched Ford vs Ferrari recently so seeing the rendition was a treat. It was red with white stripes, exactly like the one the local Ford dealer wrapped around a tree back when they came out.
My brother and I are headed back this morning to check out the museum and few other things. I have pics that I will post in a couple days.

Great time, and a beautiful place for a show!
I hope you have pics from the museum. Talk on the tram was that there are some nice cars in there, but it was motorcycle heavy.
Unfortunately I just saw this post and the show is over now. I wish so much that I would have thought to make the connection between the show and the forum then meet as many members as I could while I was there. I went but feel like I only experienced 20% of what I could have experienced if I had planned things better. Still, I hooked up with many old friends I had not seen in years. I actually ran into bkdunka at Buckees today as he was leaving the show. We were both in line to get ethanol free gas. I’m kinda feeling like I am in withdrawal from a drug right now. Sort of sad that it is over and feeling like I will never have the opportunity do something this good again. It truly was a lifetime experience especially since it was so close to me. Barbers Motorsports Park is an unreal venue for something like this. Here’s a video of my first time driving one of my Stangs on a road course albeit a small one. It was free and I ran my car through it about eight times. I absolutely flogged the car and spun out twice but didn’t wreck it. The car performed better than I could have expected. Most fun I’ve had in my life!
I take it your cars weren't there? '71-'73 were definitely under represented so I every one I saw got the complete walk around as well as an interior look. Barbers was an experience in itself. It's an impressive place. I hope to see a race there sometime. It was absolutely worthy of this show. I really want to put my car on a track, the wifes '19 as well. I don't even know where to start with that.

I don't enter my car into shows because I don't feel it's worthy. But now that drivers and survivors are in them I probably should buy a forum decal and do it. I mean, its not bad but it's nothing special. I might even meet some of you guys.

On an unrelated but not worthy of a new thread note, while walking the show, I got to thinking. My wife actually has a '72 coupe in her dads junkyard. We were working on it back in the day but long story short, it never came to fruition. I have a 351C sitting in the barn that might ruin if I don't do something with it. Don't know why the '72 was junked but thanks to the tornado, the engine is trash and the hood was in a tree last we saw it. If it was the transmission that's only a few hundred dollars on marketplace. It's not like I need another car to work on, but, you know, it's another Mustang that deserves life. Four isn't too many, right? Anyway, thanks for reading my blog.

]
View attachment 87489
Kevken It was great to see you at the pumps headed out. Sorry for taking up the whole fuel lane with truck and trailer. We will need to meet up again and talk 71-73's some more. Wished we would have made the forum connection while we were together talking at the car. You really do have a nice vert. You should have had it in the show.

Kevken It was great to see you at the pumps headed out. Sorry for taking up the whole fuel lane with truck and trailer. We will need to meet up again and talk 71-73's some more. Wished we would have made the forum connection while we were together talking at the car. You really do have a nice vert. You should have had it in the show.
Thanks Brian. Your car was spectacular! I actually had my Grabber Blue car there Friday and Saturday as a "display" car. I moved it around a lot so you may have missed it. Three of my other cars are on display at the "Mustang Museum of America" in Odenville which is only about 20 minutes from the show. It is an unreal museum and a "must see" if you are ever in that area again. Kevin.

Attachments

• IMG_8472.JPG
    IMG_8472.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8473.JPG
    IMG_8473.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8474.JPG
    IMG_8474.JPG
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8475.JPG
    IMG_8475.JPG
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_8476.JPG
    IMG_8476.JPG
  • IMG_8477.JPG
    IMG_8477.JPG
  • mustang museum.jpg
    mustang museum.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
Overwhelming is the word for sure. We were just shocked at the number of cars there, all Mustangs. Well, except for the GT. We watched Ford vs Ferrari recently so seeing the rendition was a treat. It was red with white stripes, exactly like the one the local Ford dealer wrapped around a tree back when they came out.

I hope you have pics from the museum. Talk on the tram was that there are some nice cars in there, but it was motorcycle heavy.

I take it your cars weren't there? '71-'73 were definitely under represented so I every one I saw got the complete walk around as well as an interior look. Barbers was an experience in itself. It's an impressive place. I hope to see a race there sometime. It was absolutely worthy of this show. I really want to put my car on a track, the wifes '19 as well. I don't even know where to start with that.

I don't enter my car into shows because I don't feel it's worthy. But now that drivers and survivors are in them I probably should buy a forum decal and do it. I mean, its not bad but it's nothing special. I might even meet some of you guys.

On an unrelated but not worthy of a new thread note, while walking the show, I got to thinking. My wife actually has a '72 coupe in her dads junkyard. We were working on it back in the day but long story short, it never came to fruition. I have a 351C sitting in the barn that might ruin if I don't do something with it. Don't know why the '72 was junked but thanks to the tornado, the engine is trash and the hood was in a tree last we saw it. If it was the transmission that's only a few hundred dollars on marketplace. It's not like I need another car to work on, but, you know, it's another Mustang that deserves life. Four isn't too many, right? Anyway, thanks for reading my blog.
Just my Grabber Blue car was there,HeavyCoupe. I don't have a trailer and can only drive one. If something like this ever happens again close by, maybe I can get some forum members to drive some of my other cars to the show.

Back