71-73 mustang wheel hub interchangability

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
B

BigPinoyHunk

i am looking for new/good used drum brake wheel hubs for our year mustangs. however all new one are listed for 65-67 mustang and some of the sites state the will not work for 68. so where am i going to find ones for a 73?

streetortrack.com guys are saying they are virtually the same exact same hub. the only thing making them different is the bearing race and bearings themselves. they claim you can just grab any ford hub and put our bearings in there and it'll go. can guys second on this?

i will call the junkyard that got me the spindles for the hubs if they are still there. any help would be greatly appreciated.

my car is almost done out of the bodyshop and i'm about try to quickly get the vintagevenom brake kit installed.

Will try and provide an inclusive list of the hubs that will interchange based on my source. They are:

71 - 72 Comet

73 Comet before 12-4-72

70 - 72 Cougar

70 Fairlane

70 Falcon

71 - 72 Maverick

73 Maverick before 12-4-72

70 Montego

70 Mustang

Hope this helps.

BT

i must really say that this darn forum is the best!!!! i've never been a part of another forum before thats so helpful and useful without any bad mouting/bashing of people.

thanks for the help again. i am calling up a few places on car-parts.com for these hubs. thanks again.

i must really say that this darn forum is the best!!!! i've never been a part of another forum before thats so helpful and useful without any bad mouting/bashing of people.

thanks for the help again. i am calling up a few places on car-parts.com for these hubs. thanks again.
you know why that is....................................................................... We have been beat down on our cars for so long we are just glad to be with a group who likes them as well. My Camaro buddy refers to mine as a door stop, I just laugh and tell him he not going to see anything but the tail lights so don't worry.

You said it, xoliex! This is the only place I spend time at (maybe too much time :) ) on the web. Glad you're a part of our little group.

Doc

i use to be a huge www.fordmuscle.com guy before i joined and for a short time after i joined the military. they didn't like how many people were a part of the forum so they kept on deleting post in the forum. now when i got back into my car 1.5 years ago they are hurting for members who actually go to the site. they get like 1 thread a day and i posted something about our year brake upgrades about 1 month ago and you'll still see the thread in the middle of the first page. not too many people going there nowadays.

i go to this site everyday now and glad to see people working on the same car as i am instead of maybe just one or two. i however do go to www.460ford.com at times to find out about other people's 460 builds. going to the site however just makes me want to build a 521 motor or bigger. or get some better heads, but i'm already 1k in rebuilding my c9ve heads and getting mild port job to them. however, the motor i'm running now is what shrank some of my savings and the reason for most of my debt. so now since the motor is in good condition and NO MORE spun rod bearings or a flattened cam problems, i'm just going to leave her alone for a while. however, i would like to send the heads off somewhere to get MAX ported. i believe people say with MAX ported c9 heads, you shouldn't go past a 521 stroker. huge motor changes will have to wait until the whole rest of the car is completed. besides the 460 motor is around 500hp give or take some. and i'm planting more of that power than everybody running a c4 or c6. i'm running a TKO600.

so purely restomodding from here on out. next cobra brkes and then coil over suspension/tubular suspension from www.streetortrack.com

thanks to you guys i was able to obtain the correct spindles and hubs for my cobra brake conversi after the body shop.

i received the spindles a while ago and received the hubs last night. and this morning i came out with my "BFH" friend and started going town to separate the hubs from the drums in the process i helped myself out by pounding the studs and they started to come out of the hub. i also removed all of the studs. i then took the spindle and hubs to the on base hobby shop to use solvent tank to clean up all the grease and crud that would come out. also removed the old races. i then took them home to use my air rotary tool a few course wire attachment to clean off all the remaining rust and etc. and i couldn't resist but to give them all a few light coats of engine paint i had laying around. so now i have the parts i need for the conversion and will have the entire disc brake set up available afterwards. all of the OEM disc brake parts was replaced with new parts. so with 80 dollars of parts ( 25 each spindle, 15 each hub) and 65 shipping from Minnesota to California ( 25+40 ) and a total of 145 i am at this point now below:

thanks again for this great forum!

IMG_0469.JPG

Last edited:
thanks to you guys i was able to obtain the correct spindles and hubs for my cobra brake conversi after the body shop.

i received the spindles a while ago and received the hubs last night. and this morning i came out with my "BFH" friend and started going town to separate the hubs from the drums in the process i helped myself out by pounding the studs and they started to come out of the hub. i also removed all of the studs. i then took the spindle and hubs to the on base hobby shop to use solvent tank to clean up all the grease and crud that would come out. also removed the old races. i then took them home to use my air rotary tool a few course wire attachment to clean off all the remaining rust and etc. and i couldn't resist but to give them all a few light coats of engine paint i had laying around. so now i have the parts i need for the conversion and will have the entire disc brake set up available afterwards. all of the OEM disc brake parts was replaced with new parts. so with 80 dollars of parts ( 25 each spindle, 15 each hub) and 65 shipping from Minnesota to California ( 25+40 ) and a total of 145 i am at this point now below:

well looking back quite a few months ago, the pictured HUBS are bad. i installed all new races. the outter race goes in fine and sits tightly, the fronts however can be slightly moved up and down some. so this idea of junkyard hubs was a total disaster now, and especially i need them the most with my conversion.

spoke with Shaun at www.streetortrack.com and he said there are very little differences in hubs. you can change any hub and make it fit any car by changing the races. so i purchased a new pair from him today and will install my new bearings in them.

i will be selling off the the drum spindles however for who wants to do www.vintagevenom.com cobra kit!

well looking back quite a few months ago, the pictured HUBS are bad. i installed all new races. the outter race goes in fine and sits tightly, the fronts however can be slightly moved up and down some. so this idea of junkyard hubs was a total disaster now, and especially i need them the most with my conversion.

spoke with Shaun at www.streetortrack.com and he said there are very little differences in hubs. you can change any hub and make it fit any car by changing the races. so i purchased a new pair from him today and will install my new bearings in them.

i will be selling off the the drum spindles however for who wants to do www.vintagevenom.com cobra kit!
O..I had the same problem with my old hubs..I did get 1 replacement from MCM still waiting on the other..I was thinking the same thing..Just go new..What year hubs did you get from Shaun ? Also sorry i couldn't get you a pic of the rear caliper but I'm having some trouble with one of my knee's (going to the doc today) So it would have been hard for me to start pulling wheels etc. Plus everythings been boxed & packed away (LOTS of boxes with new parts )

Back