71 custom build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ray - you have ridiculously incredible skills, and I applaud your efforts and results. :bravo:

However, this is totally my opinion, but I think you should find a way to keep the NACA ducts. They're a definitive style point for the '71-'73s.

Since you're going to this tremendous level of effort, why not explore the idea of coming up with a new method to filter air through a custom Ram Air plenum that doesn't sit directly on top of the carb - kind of like a remote cold air induction kit with the filter located in the hood itself, extending to a plenum extension that fits over the top of the carb. Not having the filter in an enclosure sitting directly on top of the carb should offer a couple more inches of hood clearance as well.

I don't know - just a thought. I hate to think of all the work needed to remove the NACA ducts, when a standard hood might've suited your plans for the older hood scoop better - but now you're too far along with the other work to abandon this hood.

Hope this helps somehow - keep up the great work! ::thumb::

Thanks for the kind words. I do like the ducts, I also like the scoop, looking at the last pic of the front of the car I really like the 3 together. I have some kind of a early throttle body air filter set up that also fits a 4v carb off a mid 80's firebird that wraps the top of the carb and extends with a cold air intake tube to a filter. It's cool . I once used this set up on an xj6 that I stuffed a 350 into and had hood clearance issues . It worked perfectly. Making the ducts functional would not be difficult as you said. I'm gonna definitely drop the engine down in the cradle some too. It's funny how you guys see this as a talent , lol , to me it just comes easy. Been cutting up stuff my whole life . First ever in the 70's was a 49 ford. Even at that time it seemed more time consuming than difficult. And I did it with a $100 craftsman stick welder and a torch. We didn't have saws all's then . You got me LMAO. Remembering all that is great. My friends always used to ask me, "Can't you ever drive anything stock?" Being from north of Boston we drove winter bombs and put our cool cars away after October till April. Sometimes when spring rolled around I would cut the roof off whatever I was driving to have a convertible. During the anti convertible era 1974 to ? I made several convertibles out of coupes both mustang 11 and fox bodies. There was a kit available from Cali. For the fox but nothing for the must 11 . Did a lot of frame strengthening on those babies. Had to shore it all up before cutting or ya couldn't open the doors lol. A lot of memories, a lot of fun. I'm getting long winded, sorry, thanks again for the compliments.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reminds me of a story from college. We cut the roof off of a beater chevy pick up truck-well sort of. We took it to the fire station and they cut it off with the jaws of life and some big ass saw.

Most of life is just showing up. We applaud your talent because most of us wouldn't even attempt your build.

image.jpgi did some research for you because I remember seeing something like it before. Not a big fan of the three forward facing scoops myself. However....

image.jpg... I do like the look of the rear facing scoop since it's not competing with the stock scoops.

image.jpgMaking this custom piece is the way to go but the twist would be that it is a SHAKER. That's actually going to be the design of my second hood for my build only its going to be on a stock length standard hood. For your build I don't mind sharing that idea.

image.jpgI think it was on one of Luke's threads , I saw a pic of an Aussie falcon with the duct hood and a blower poking through behind it. But that's a muscle look, I'm goin more for exotic or sleek. Im gonna see what 2 weeks away does for my perspective. I'm gonna go nuts away. Heading to Maine, I asked my wife if we could take a day trip to Toronto. Lol, she looked at me ,laughed, and said I was a knucklehead. Hmmmmm what does that mean? I'm thinking you need a passport to get in to Canada, I don't have one. "Keep on building, cruise when you can"

For sleekness, have you entertained the possibility of using a regular hood. In my opinion the flat hood is closer in look to a Pantera than the scooped hood.

ebay951343.jpg

If you were certifiably insane you could use the scoops as heat extractors by cutting them out and mounting them in the hood backwards on either side of a hood scoop. Having a shaker would make functional scoops pretty difficult
You mean like the 69-70 Shelby's?

image.jpgFinally got back from an extended vacation. Got a little work done yesterday , hers a couple of pics of back window framing .

image.jpg

Looks good. I haven't looked at these pictures for a few weeks but going back to the hood I think the stock profile works better and maybe a 73 style bumper would make for a cleaner look especially if you do delete the naca vents. Again my 2cents on your vision. Ray you have some great skills in body work so thanks for sharing your build with us all :bravo:

image.jpgHere are a few pics of the tedious work of piecing together cut , trimmed and reshaped pieces into the missing sections proceeding the section of the body. Not sure if you guys are interested in the details like this but I'll be doing this for quite a while. Work will be in all the hidden areas and not much change in the overall look of the project.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I will put a few pics of this stuff on as I go along. This was drivers door pillar. Will show pics of door tomorrow it's almost together. After I do the other pillar & door I'll move to the firewall, a lot of piecing to do there. Lol , it's nice to be back working on the car I've been traveling for weeks. Missing the forum.

Ray thanks for posting this. It is exactly this type of work that is overlooked in most build threads it is however really important and demonstrates the real level of work involved in building a full custom car.

image.jpgMore pics of the door jam rebuild and a couple of the door too.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

A few points of interest, notice that the door striker is in its original location even though it was outside the 4" chop section. This was to facilitate door alignment. Also the door was chopped outside the 4" section too to accommodate the latch mechanism and allow the use of stock weatherstripping. The section also offset the top and bottom body pieces requiring some dimension blending. This is most noticeable on the door. Enjoy !!!

Latest posts

Back