71 custom build

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I may just be stating the obvious but the hood on the 70 Shelby mimics the bumper shape. In your case the hood extension is fighting with the lines of the bumper and the grill being close to the front further makes the argument. That is a rare and unique bumper you have there so I can see why you'd want to keep it however, mimicking the shape of your hood into a newly designed bumper would have you love your hood design. Especially if you were to consider pushing back your grill and lights. That would create symmetry your eye is looking for and the push back grill (3" is possible) would give a very sinister look with a sort of brow covering the top half of the lights. Only my opinion but it is how I changed up mine up.

image.jpgThe bumper has to have a flatter top and shaped on the underside. It also gives you an opportunity to pull it in tighter to the fenders. I always felt the 71 and especially the 73 bumper look too much like a fat lip. 70 Shelby very neat and clean. More of a grill surround than a bumper. One of my first drawings had the hood looking very much like your new extension and for the same reason (70 Shelby) but I opted to change up the bumper to keep the nose of the car shorter and I lengthened the rear of the car visually instead. Although my rear bumper finishes in the same place, the trunk lid was lengthened 3". Love what your up to. Hope I helped and not hindered.

image.jpgThe further back the grill is the less the straight lines clash with the pointed hood and bumper. Also with the very low stance your car will have, anyone standing in front of the car will only see 3/4 of your headlight, a meaner look.

Last edited by a moderator:
image.jpg[/font] Thanks for the input, I love the grill pushed in like that , in my case having cut 8 1/2 inches of the nose Im really struggling with room back there now. Retrospect is invaluable. All this nose stuff is different than I originally planned, but I'm having fun with it. I cut a rough recess into the hood today to see how it feels. If it's working, I'll continue to follow the bumper shape into the styling lines on the hood around the ram scoops. I Have a good look going on in my head now gotta try to execute it . See what ya think about how the recess affects the look. Here's a couple pics. If I go with it I will continue to sculpt the curves like the bumper. This is just very rough as to intent. Just wanted to see it a little.

image.jpg

image.jpg

You've got a nice clean smooth look goin on there. My hood was clashing too much with that bumper I have . I decided I liked the whole bumper thing better than my hood extention so now I think I'll try to work that look into it. A couple of the guys suggested trying to do that. I'm sure there visions are different from mine but I'll keep tweaking on it till I get it right. Thanks again for the input, thinking back on a comment you made about our cars both sitting next to each other would be awesome, I hope we can make that happen. Do you ever cruise into the States. I go up as far as Maine on occasion. Maybe we can somehow put them together with photo shop. It'll be around year before I'm done . I'm not good at all with glass. I just beat and bang metal LOL.

i just noticed that in one of the pics, the grill is falling forward it wasn't attached rather just sitting there. This throws the dimension off I'll have to tighten up the grill mounts soon as I get it glued together. Then get some better pics on here. I'm thinking I'll do a little more work on the lines and repost, stay open minded. LOL :chin:

Ray, I forgot that a good portion of your shortening the front came from the grill area. My bad. Of course your out of space there. I admire that you are a man of action. That hood detail is cool. I know it's just for you to see general shapes but it's looking pretty good already. The detail between the scoops in the hood should give you lines to blend into and make it look like it should have always been there. If I have to be critical about anything it would only be where you ended your metal work at the ends of the hood near the fender extensions. If it were my build and I stepped away from it for a bit, when I came back and looked at it with fresh eyes I would continue your hood detail out to keep it as linear as the bumper. The jog that's their now has no body line to support it being there. It's as if the stock headlight is open above it and the inboard headlights have the hood over top. I may be alone in this thought but it's strictly a personal opinion. I've been through all these fun times coming up with cool lines and then having to stick to your guns whether everyone likes it or not. I'm glad our ideas are different and would truly love to get these cars to a show somewhere. I would seriously consider coming stateside once I'm done. Going to be a year or so for me as well. Keep the pics coming buddy.

image.jpgI did a little more metal work on shaping the hood recess. I think it's a little closer, also glued all the grill pieces together and got it fitted in there closer to where it'll be still some trim and adjusting left to do . Here's a couple of pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I don't know. It looks cool but it also looks like you were looking too hard for something different.

Although I always prefer the urethane bumpers to the chrome ones, the latter might have solved your problem easier because it is pointy and doesn't have the recess of the urethane one.

That would have gone well with your hood extension and given that 70 Shelby look you were initially after.

You could even have increased the angle in the middle one mate it even more pointy to achieve the look.

And someone with your skills could easily blend the usually ill fitting chrome bumper into the front.

Just my two cents. I'm not saying this is bad but I know you like input so..... :D

I don't know. It looks cool but it also looks like you were looking too hard for something different.

Although I always prefer the urethane bumpers to the chrome ones, the latter might have solved your problem easier because it is pointy and doesn't have the recess of the urethane one.

That would have gone well with your hood extension and given that 70 Shelby look you were initially after.

You could even have increased the angle in the middle one mate it even more pointy to achieve the look.

And someone with your skills could easily blend the usually ill fitting chrome bumper into the front.

Just my two cents. I'm not saying this is bad but I know you like input so..... :D
The truth is, your right, I am trying to hard on this part of the project. Sometimes once you not only go out side the box but also go out on a limb , it creates controversy, LOL, I love hearing all the different opinions. It is a little confusing to try to follow other people's hearts & resulting visions. I think that the hood will remain controversial indefinitely and I'll be ok with that. Decidedly at this point, my original goal will truly never be accomplished. I'm convinced that no matter who you are , no matter what you do there will always be diversity. After all I am trying to improve someone else's dream to start with. Every build I've ever done has points of interest being that someone else may have done it differently. It's all good!! It's what makes life interesting. In the end it seams that simple usually pleases the masses & wins. Or it might be that simple doesn't warrant any attention. Thanks for the input it has given me a new assertiveness. I am enjoying this buil more than any before because it incorporates a plethora of outside suggestions. Not only from this forum but the people around me in the field ,as I've welcomed all in on this one just to see where it goes. In the past I block out comments until it's done then get hit. This is a more gentle process, lol, even I'm curious to see what it looks like when all is said and done. I'm going to divert from the hood for now and see how I feel about it later on. Back to work on other stuff. Again, thanks to the few off you who reward me by speaking out. Keep it up. :thankyouyellow:

I can't tell from the photos, but is the hood detail the same width as that in the bumper? it looks a little narrower. I think that the lines in the hood from the ducts, and the edges of the detail might look better in line. Someone with photoshop skills should be able to help you our with a fer variations. I also agree with the prior statements about the outer edge detail being, perhaps unnecessary and better replaced with a straight line.

Still I'm very impressed.

I can't tell from the photos, but is the hood detail the same width as that in the bumper? it looks a little narrower. I think that the lines in the hood from the ducts, and the edges of the detail might look better in line. Someone with photoshop skills should be able to help you our with a fer variations. I also agree with the prior statements about the outer edge detail being, perhaps unnecessary and better replaced with a straight line.

Still I'm very impressed.
+1

It is great that you have opened your project up to us all. It gives us an insight into new ideas and showcases your wonderful metal working skills. I eagerly await your next group of photos highlighting your progress (upside down or otherwise :p) and cannot wait to see the finished product. I hope that if both you and Wide-body71 get a chance to show your cars together that you will lets us know where and when. That would be worth the price of addmission!

The recess in the hood is equal in width to the bumper. At this time I'm suspending work on the hood, the plan was to eliminate the ram scoops and introduce a 70 Mach 1 hood scoop. At that time all the lines would change. One reason being that the 4" section is going to put the carb through the hood slightly. Another option would be to section and lift the current bump up in the hood to gain clearance or drop the engine down and convert to a remote oil sump. This option would leave the trans pan vulnerable. Top clearance being the best way to go. Since I now have the headlights & grill position and mounting worked out, I'm leaving the rest of the hood work till later when I clear my head. Going back on working on the rear deck trunk drain channel and window framing. Sometimes you need to look away for a while to refresh , LOL. :D

I'm also taking off for vacation for a couple weeks on sat morning. I'll be studying pics and talking to some respected hot rod gurus during this time, ya a bus mans holiday. Going to a couple swap meets also to locate some needed parts and gather ideas. Also gonna rummage through my brothers storage sheds to see what I find of interest. Need goodies!!! He has a lot of vintage mustang parts laying around. I'll cover the ram scoops with cardboard and set the proposed scoop up there to get an idea on what that might look like, all this is part of my freelance hot rod building. I'll throw on a couple of pics of this idea. I never know exactly what the finished product will look like as a keep coming up with different ideas the whole time. The basics will remain the same but details change. It's even more interesting now with other opinions helping guide the way. Thanks

One other thought here, as to the little jogs on either side of the hood. It is an attemp to transition back into the fenders and meet them at there current angle, otherwise when the hood meets the fenders there would be a conflict of angles. That may work I'm not sure but I felt the transition would look better the way I did it. In order to run the hood straight into the fenders the fenders would need to be reshaped in front , eliminating the factory mouldings and fabricating a new facia. I'm sure it detracts from the overall look by seeing the welds etc. once all smoothed in and painted one color, it would flow together better. That photo shop thing sounds interesting. To be able to create the finished product and see how it looks complete. A luxury I've never considered. I'm just used to making it real and changing it when it doesn't work. I know it's a lot of waisted time and energy but I'm doing this out of passion and pleasure. If I could do it on photo shop then what would be the point in creating it. Just frame the picture and move on to the next project. Pictures are all I have left of many of my builds anyway. Point being that working the canvas is what it's about for me. I'm not at all being condescending about doing photo shop work, it's interesting as heck but doesn't fuel my passion. I'm just a stubborn old schooler LOL. :)

Stepping away is always a good option to get some clarity.

I think the leading edge looks good now, but looking at it raw and upside down is a bit challenging. If any of the parts you need are mechanical, post up a list, I have amassed a handful of items that are taking up space as have others.

I was wondering how you were going to manage with hood clearance and figured a dry sump was the primary solution. It also offers the advantage of getting the weight low and perhaps located as far back as possible.

With your talent, I'm sure it will be awesome whichever course you choose to pursue.

Hi Ray. I was just reading about your plans for the hood. Not only does it sound cool, it makes a lot of sense with regards to function and design. I'm excited to see it. More often than not, your first vision for your build is the right vision because it inspired you to get started in the first place. Sure there's going to be tweaks but you won't be swayed from yur vision for this beast. Stepping away for a time is always a good thing but now unfortunately we all need to have patients cause I think I speak for all of us when I say I like the pace of you work! You get an idea and bang it out in short order. Have a great va-kay.

image.jpgI'm posting some pics to show the different issues I trying to work out. Let me know what you guys think. Thanks. The first pic shows how the jog pulls the hood together with the fenders.

image.jpgThese next 2 pics show alternate options, neither of which I like much. The second would require extending the fender

image.jpg

image.jpgThe next thing up for discussion is the addition of the 70 hood scoop and to delete or not delete the ram scoops. The 3 scoops I think looks cool but may be too much. The Rams would remain open to add cooling air to engine .

image.jpgi know a little sloppy on the cardboard cover lol had a lot to do today and wanted these pics ti analyze.

image.jpgThe last pic is of the front sorta roughed in . It has all 3 scoops in the pic

Well , take a look and comment please. Thank you very much for your help. :thankyouyellow:::thumb::

If you wanted a little more Pantera influence, treat the fenter extensions like the bumperettes of a Pantera and have the hood line set back. You could also intigrate the grilles and contour the hood for clearance (nice and smooth). So many ways to go.

Mikes%20Pantera%2061720%20c.jpg

With regards to the hood, I like the edges that you have already. I think that making new fender extensions and welding them on rather than having a removable piece is in order here. This way you can make the front leading edge the same shape as the hood piece. I like where this is going and am excited to kinda be a part of the build since I can't do any of this to my car!

Shortening the front of the car, in my opinion shouldn't hold you back from extending the fender brows an 1-1/2" to get the desired look. I wouldn't even leave a body line. It should appear as the end of the fender and not as an extension piece. Like your hood. Soo much cleaner. I think Ford did that just so they could offer the chrome hood extension and eyebrows on the convertibles. I'm seriously considering filling the body line on my build but have to work out the fitment of my grill surround first.

Ray, I'm saying things like we've been friends for years lol. I hope I'm not overstepping and that I don't sway your vision as it is a great one. I've had friends that I respect give me suggestions that I never used and ideas that I'm glad I used. I know what I like but I like to think of myself as being coachable even at 47 yrs. of age. The older I get the less I know.

There are no boundaries here , I invited you guys into my build and my build is my life LOL. So ya I feel like car guys have a connection that goes without saying. You guys are from all over the world but we have the same passion. I also have been talking to you like your my friends / mates , Why not ? I love it. It's great, cars and music, the international language . Yes I may use some ideas or I may not , although I have. One thing for sure is I consider them all. I'm heading out on a trip , no work for a couple weeks. Gonna hit it hard when I get back. I'm taking iPad so I may make a few comments on my thoughts on the road but no pics of the project. Thanks ::thumb::

Latest posts

Back