71 Factory Radio Option List Prices

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Homeowner A

Reaction score
I searched but couldn't find. What was the cost of each radio option for 1971? AM, AM/FM, AM/8-Track?

For '71, the AM radio option was $66.00
The AM/FM stereo was $214.00
The AM/8 Track was $134.00
The odd part is you were required to order the AM radio option in conjunction with the 8-track to get what Ford called the Stereo Sonic Tape System.
The prices varied slightly over the production year. The prices shown were as of 1/71.

According to Marti Auto Works' book, Mustang by the Numbers, 121,724 AM radios, 8,658 AM/FM radios, and 9,377 Am/8 Track radios were production was installed in '71.

For '71, the AM radio option was $66.00
The AM/FM stereo was $214.00
The AM/8 Track was $134.00
The odd part is you were required to order the AM radio option in conjunction with the 8-track to get what Ford called the Stereo Sonic Tape System.
The prices varied slightly over the production year. The prices shown were as of 1/71.

According to Marti Auto Works' book, Mustang by the Numbers, 121,724 AM radios, 8,658 AM/FM radios, and 9,377 Am/8 Track radios were production was installed in '71.
Thanks again for great info! Would you happen to have or know where I could find what the dealer and customer used to sit down and order a 1971 mustang complete with options and their prices? Order guide/sheet?

The process usually starts with the dealer showroom sales brochures and a binder, most know as the Dealer Facts Guide or Product Information Organizer. These binders' names changed over time. This gave the customer a more detailed idea of what options or required combinations of options were available. There was another binder, the Dealer Ordering Guide and Price List, for dealer sales personnel only, that had the base and option order codes needed to fill out the order form that would be mailed to District Sales Office. This binder also contained the retail and dealer cost of the base vehicle and all the options. The Dealer was able to give the customer the retail cost of the vehicle and also have the dealer cost so they would know if there was any "Wiggle'" room in case price negotiations came up! Not many of these binders made it out of the dealership since, at the time, they contained confidential price information.
You can go to the 7173 Wiki section in the top banner on the forum's home page. It will take you to another page where you will stay on "Home" and scroll down until you see "71 Facts Book" Click on the circle, and you will see a downloaded version of the Ford Facts Book. There are no prices, but you can see what was available for your '71.

Ford had various price lists and sales tools throughout the years. One for 1971 was the "Armchair Estimator". To my knowledge, this is a customer pamphlet since it only shows retail pricing.

View attachment 80044
That’s odd they listed a shaker as an option. Maybe they thought about having one on a standard flat hood then dropped it.

Last edited:
The Shaker option listed in the performance section is above the Mustang listings and is part of the Torino section. I have seen a couple of flat hood Mustangs where the owner added a shaker ram air system. Being used to seeing them on '69-70 Mustangs, it looked a little out of place on a '71/ style Mustang but looks better the more you look at it.
The armchair estimators were an excellent tool for customers wanting to price a vehicle but not wanting to be smothered by a salesman. While they weren't as detailed as the dealers' info, they at least allowed you to be better prepared when entering the sales staff's lair. The estimators were used in the '60s and '70s, then quietly disappeared as internet searches became more accessible with more current information in the '80s.

The Shaker option listed in the performance section is above the Mustang listings and is part of the Torino section. I have seen a couple of flat hood Mustangs where the owner added a shaker ram air system. Being used to seeing them on '69-70 Mustangs, it looked a little out of place on a '71/ style Mustang but looks better the more you look at it.
The armchair estimators were an excellent tool for customers wanting to price a vehicle but not wanting to be smothered by a salesman. While they weren't as detailed as the dealers' info, they at least allowed you to be better prepared when entering the sales staff's lair. The estimators were used in the '60s and '70s, then quietly disappeared as internet searches became more accessible with more current information in the '80s.
Ok I see the Torino stuff above where Mustang stuff starts. Didn’t notice that, too early in the morning I guess 😂

Back