• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to 7173 Mustangs.com and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

71 Fastback Trunk Lid Torsion bars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tegemus

Reaction score
My Car
1971 M code Mach 1
Looking for 2 trunk lid torsion bars for a 71 Mach 1. Part number D1ZZ 6344890-1B. Must be thicker torsion bars used when trunk lid has an attached spoiler. Also need rubber grommet that fits between the torsion bars to separate them. Parts will be shipped to Niagara Falls, New York. PM me or email [email protected]. Thanks!

not to offend but did u look on ebay ?? i got mine last year on it.
Saw the pair on eBay, but it doesn't specify if they're from a fastback. Might be 2 bars from a coupe or a convertible.  Thought I'd ask here first since I consider forum members to be more trustworthy. If no action here, I'll ask the eBay seller for more info. Thanks for the tip, though.

not to offend but did u look on ebay ?? i got mine last year on it.
Saw the pair on eBay, but it doesn't specify if they're from a fastback. Might be 2 bars from a coupe or a convertible.  Thought I'd ask here first since I consider forum members to be more trustworthy. If no action here, I'll ask the eBay seller for more info. Thanks for the tip, though.
Coupes and Convertible use a single bar while Fatsbacks use two.   I have a pair for a Fastback, but I don't know if they are from a Mustang with a spoiler. I have looked at my cars in the past, but haven't seen a difference (just means that I couldn't see it).

Yeah, what I meant was that it might be a single torsion bar from a coupe and another torsion bar from a second coupe or a convertible. What I'd like to know is, what is the diameter difference between a torsion bar from a coupe/convertible vs a torsion bar from a fastback? Would 2 torsion bars from 2 coupes or convertibles be able to support the weight of a fastback's trunk lid with an attached spoiler? Consider the fact that some convertibles have spoilers, and yet the trunk lid is only supported by one torsion bar. Does the diameter of the torsion bar really make that much of a difference if 2 of them are transplanted from coupes and/or convertibles to a fastback? If it doesn't, then it doesn't matter where the torsion bars come from.

Wow, too much thinking. Now I need a beer.

Thanks to ib4stangs for finding me a pair. Pat even measured the length and diameter of the torsion bars, then compared them to the ones in his 73 Mach 1 with a spoiler to make sure they were what I needed. Great service from a great forum member.

Barry

I have a Q code fast back with a spoiler and a base fastback no spoiler.. both trunk lid torsion bars are the same diameter.. Adjustment on the Q code bars is at max notch to the rear.. The base adjustment is at the middle notch..

Hope this helps.

I have a Q code fast back with a spoiler and a base fastback no spoiler.. both trunk lid torsion bars are the same diameter.. Adjustment on the Q code bars is at max notch to the rear.. The base adjustment is at the middle notch..

Hope this helps.
Actually, that clears things up quite a bit. Looks like torsion rod notch placement is more important than diameter.

Thanks very much for the info, piper62j.

Back