How to safely install trunk torsion bars

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for the heck of it, this is what my Mach 1 trunk torsion bars look like and their placement with a factory spoiler. It looks like the Fastback hinges and torsion bar locations are very different.

Picture are from left side to right.

Funny I just grabbed mine with my hand and moved it lower. It didn't seem that difficult. Maybe mine are weak?

Funny I just grabbed mine with my hand and moved it lower.  It didn't seem that difficult.  Maybe mine are weak?
What do you eat for breakfast? I need someone of that!

I finally got the two torsion rods installed.  I need to upload some photos of them because the installation is not traditional.  I needed two torsion bars because I added the spoiler to the trunk making the trunk a bit heavy.  The second torsion bar works like a charm and I did not have to put it under a lot of tension.  To install the second torsion bar, I simply opened the trunk as high as it would go, and placed the torsion bar into the proper location on the trunk hinge and then found a reasonable spot for the other end to connect into.  When I close the trunk, it puts the torsion bar into tension.  When I open the trunk, it pops open with just enough force and it does not fall out of position.  I'll add some photos to show what I did.   

Last edited by a moderator:
I have my own little way of doing install and no danger. I have also put second rod in for when spoiler is installed on vert or coupe. You put the rod in place on the adjustment side in the middle and then just take a pipe wrench and twist the end of the rod until it goes into hinge. Then you put your jack under the rod and jack up and I use a seal puller to snap the rod into the hinge. 
I have one more L.H. spring if you have spoiler and need PM me $60.00 + ship. No special tools at all.

20200618_152330.jpg

20200618_152345.jpg

20200618_152607.jpg

20200618_152757.jpg

Where did you get the Torsion Rods or Torque Springs from ?  I can't find them anywhere for a 1971 Mustang Grande Coupe, unless you buy the entire DynaCorn Deck Lid kit for $400...??

Where did you get the Torsion Rods or Torque Springs from ?  I can't find them anywhere for a 1971 Mustang Grande Coupe, unless you buy the entire DynaCorn Deck Lid kit for $400...??
I have a set of torsion rods from a 71 coupe, shoot me a PM. 

The second Coupe/Vert torsion bar is very hard to find these days. If you have one bar in your car now, it typically it has the adjustable lever on the drivers side. If so, you need the rare second bar and it is different from the typical first bar so they are not interchangeable. The second bar has the adjustable arm on the passenger side and a different angle relative to each end. 71-73 Cougars commonly used the same second bar as their trunk lids were heavier. Look for a 71-73 Coupe/Vert Cougar.

I noticed that the 67-68 coupe/vert bars are available, but I they are not the same. The adjustment lever end is different.

Well I was told that all of the '71 - '73 Coupes / Grandes only came with (1) Driver Side Torsion Bar or Rod, the Mach I's had (2) Shorter Rods Driver and Passenger.  So I am not sure how or where to acquire a Passenger Side Torsion Bar, but I found the Driver Side Torsion Bar.  If anybody has a LH & RH bars or BOTH rods for a 1971 Mustang Grande, please Email me at [email protected] and I will Buy them.  The one existing Torsion Bar that I have was adjusted from Bottom to Middle Groove or Notch on the Hinge on the Driver's Side and although it does work a bit better (not slamming shut from a soft breeze), the Deck Lid or Trunk only Opens up 1/2 way or so on its own accord.  I guess I will need to try the Top Notch, but not sure if that will work properly or not.  The way I get them installed is by using (2) Zip Ties on the Notched Side to keep the bar in place and then I use a Pipe Wrench and Rag to twist and insert the other end into the Hole, just enough so it stays put, then I gently tap it place with a Hammer...Tried using the Car Jack and that didn't work and don't have a Seal Puller...The Cougar tool looks like its only Designed for Cougars and not Mustangs...And yeah I wear heavy duty gloves to keep from getting pinched and goggles, better safe than sorry and that bar snapped out of place a few times from tension release when I lost my grip with the pipe wrench, which can be dangerous situation if not protected...Anybody got (2) coupe bars or further installation advice, please do post to this forum or email me is fine or you can text me (512) 796-2444.  Thanks !

I had posted how to make a tool that is easy and safe to adjust the torsio  bar. I am reposting it...

I made a tool to adjust the trunk torsion rods on my convertible. It works really well, feels locked in place and does not slip off. I have adjusted the rod up and down on the first and second notches, but not up to the third notch. That would be a lot of torque on the rod. It should work on coupes as well since the rod and trunk are setup the same way as a convertible, but I doubt it will work on a fastback.

No need to spend money on one. I used a piece of heavy gauge strap iron and drilled holes and bent it as you see in the pictures below. I think the key to it working so well was to create (drill) a open ended hook like hole on the end to keep the tool from slipping off the Torsion Bar when applying leverage. The second hole is 5/16" in diameter to keep it snug on the end of the rod and no more than 3 1/4" distance from right angle end, otherwise a metal lip where the rod wrap around will prevent the tool from hooking on to the rod.

Anyway I hope it helps....

193 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle

I had posted how to make a tool that is easy and safe to adjust the torsio bar. I am reposting it...

I made a tool to adjust the trunk torsion rods on my convertible. It works really well, feels locked in place and does not slip off. I have adjusted the rod up and down on the first and second notches, but not up to the third notch. That would be a lot of torque on the rod. It should work on coupes as well since the rod and trunk are setup the same way as a convertible, but I doubt it will work on a fastback.

No need to spend money on one. I used a piece of heavy gauge strap iron and drilled holes and bent it as you see in the pictures below. I think the key to it working so well was to create (drill) a open ended hook like hole on the end to keep the tool from slipping off the Torsion Bar when applying leverage. The second hole is 5/16" in diameter to keep it snug on the end of the rod and no more than 3 1/4" distance from right angle end, otherwise a metal lip where the rod wrap around will prevent the tool from hooking on to the rod.

Anyway I hope it helps....

193 H Code Convertible - Medium Copper Metallic - June 8, 1973, Built Ford Marketing Sales Vehicle
Hey I saw this thread, I’m looking for trunk torsion rods for my ‘73 ver, anyone with a lead I’d be most appreciativ!

Hey I saw this thread, I’m looking for trunk torsion rods for my ‘73 ver, anyone with a lead I’d be most appreciativ!
Are you looking for the left or right or both? They are getting hard to find. They come up on eBay once in a while. Also the massive Ford show and swap meet in Carlise, PA is coming up in a month, I've seen them there.

Back