72 351c 2v air cleaner

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

libram

Reaction score
My Car
72 Mach 1
Looks like I'm going to have to restore this one myself. So to be proactive can you boys help me answer the following with words or pictures.

1 What is the matching ford blue paint for the air cleaner and while I'm at it the vac canister

2 what sheen did it have if not part of the paint, ie clear coat, satin, flat, gloss

3 images of original stickers would be welcome but even more welcome would be images with measurements of placement or just measurements

I'm not even sure why I feel this way but even with the CHI heads and all the work and changes to the engine, I feel like the very first thing I see under the hood, to say hey I'm the real deal is the air filter housing, then the vac can, probably because of the blue, but I'd like them to be right, to say hey this is REALLY what I am and was built as.

Looks like I'm going to have to restore this one myself. So to be proactive can you boys help me answer the following with words or pictures.

1 What is the matching ford blue paint for the air cleaner and while I'm at it the vac canister

2 what sheen did it have if not part of the paint, ie clear coat, satin, flat, gloss

3 images of original stickers would be welcome but even more welcome would be images with measurements of placement or just measurements

I'm not even sure why I feel this way but even with the CHI heads and all the work and changes to the engine, I feel like the very first thing I see under the hood, to say hey I'm the real deal is the air filter housing, then the vac can, probably because of the blue, but I'd like them to be right, to say hey this is REALLY what I am and was built as.
Hey if you want it to look like all of us did when we first got our cars - and had no money left - couldn't afford a better carb yet.

But needed extra HP... just flip the air cleaner lid over

72 2V's aren't my area of experience, but I'm sure you can't go wrong with Ford Corporate Dark Blue. This is what the engine should be as well as all the other related parts. I chose to use Duplicolor engine enamel  as I feel it is a bit closer than Plasticoat. As for the decal, NPD should sell them, part # D124, as well as most other vendors. NPD also have a custom paint they claim is identical to Ford Corporate Blue, AP-EB.

I absolutely agree with you. The Air Cleaner is the first thing you see upon opening the hood. I'm more of "as it looked from the factory" guy, rather than custom.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the carb off back in the early 70's and went to bump the starter (for what ever reason). It started running and realize I just invented fuel injection. YES THAT"S RIGHT..... I had the first mechanical fuel injected (MFI) 72 351C mach1 with that gas line pointed at where the carb should have been. AHHHH the good ole days....

Had the carb off back in the early 70's and went to bump the starter (for what ever reason). It started running and realize I just invented fuel injection. YES THAT"S RIGHT..... I had the first mechanical fuel injected (MFI)  72 351C mach1 with that gas line pointed at where the carb should have been. AHHHH the good ole days....
Haha, are you sure you weren't a "SENIOR" back then!! Sounds like something I'd do nowadays!

so wait a min, with all the guys on here that have stamps regulated to fonts and positions, and this orange dot here and 3 colored stripes there, no one just has the correct placement of decals for an air cleaner? I'm kinda chuckling to myself right now.

Back