72 Ford Mustang Hardtop Project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Nice car. Welcome from coastal Alabama. Be sure to add a pin on our member map under the fun stuff tab at the top of the page.

Hi and ::welcome:: from Luxembourg, Europe.
::welcome:: Tony the tiigger sas yous veedayo iizzz grrreaat! Vas uuup w/Jules COTM - thowese frunt seeedzz R the chats pajammas. As Pig Vicous Racing Daniel Herberth on face book and somewheres on here w/his piggas as he calls his followings would probably say esse, that video like his of burning up the tarmac a real awesome pig. As for his club house over in Glassboro NJ when in town - drop down! Mine the March COTM is still in the shop for some stainless steel - braided brake lines to some front n rear shoulder n lap combo seat belts as well the final dino(saurus)tune up then its all - off to the track n the car events.

I have not updated this thread since what feels like mid Summer. Me and my dad have been very busy as he is a plant manager at a Ford plant today. Since my last post on this thread, all of the doors and other body panels have been sent to the body shop. I have completely gutted the interior - it is all original, and we will put it back in as all original except for a few things such as new reupholstered front seats as they have some tears in them mostly the drivers seat (passenger could probably be fixed at a reupholstery shop. Me and my dad have been saving up our money to finish the car so I can drive it on the first day of my junior year. I'm a sophomore now and on November 27, 2013 I bought this car so it will be a year in just a few days. I have really enjoyed working on this car and I have learned quite a bit. I have always loved old cars and cars in general especially mustangs. Me and my dad have owned three total. A 2008 v6 pony package (it was very nice for a 6 banger), and currently a 2014 Ford Mustang convertible v6 that is equipped with every option available. We love it. We also have the 1972, which we are in the middle of restoring now. This may be a long post, but I have quite a bit to update you all on and I would love to hear some responses...

After removing the fenders last year, we noticed extensive, but stationary rust in the front right fender apron and just this last Friday we ordered a new front fender apron. The rust is only where the fender is drilled in on the apron. We will simply cut the piece we need out of the apron and reweld it in. It is not an issue. This car is very very clean. It was ziebarted in 1972 and floor pans and everything are solid. This was the only serious amount of rust besides the drivers side front bumper arm that was rusted out and a little patch was cut from the frame and we will reweld it in. I know this may sound like a lot, but you must see the car in person, this car is exceptionally clean. We could not have been luckier. The original owners had it garaged all its life and it never saw rain. It was only taken out on nice days until they sold it to a couple who sold it to their daughter who lives near us and let it sit under a tree outside of her house on the street. Besides sitting there for just a few short years, it the car is still immaculate. Me and my dad at leaving this car completely original mechanically - except for aftermarket exhaust and aftermarker headers. We are adding a nasa hood that I ordered friday and some magnum 500s as well.

In the past few weeks of working on the car, I have been just organizing and labeling parts. The doors and other body panels are being painted this week and we will pull the engine soon and sent the full car shell to the shop. I cannot wait. The nasa hood has not been sent yet, as we just got it along with other parts. We are getting the entire engine bay painted as well. I'm so excited. I have worked on the dash cluster this past 2 weeks and I attempted to remove the aftermarket radio this lady installed. Knowing the car was completely original, who would do such a thing? They cut the door panels and behind the rear seats by the window to fit some speakers/subs as well. With this issue, I decided to remove the kenwood radio so if the car sat outside at the body shop for a day or so no one would steal the radio. We will not be using the aftermarket Rockford fosgate audio system and will fix these cut spots. The after market radio will go in the glovebox if we plan to use it. Well I removed the radio and saw how poor of a job they cut the dash piece. It made me sick. I have the original philco radio for the car (it seriously looks like it has never been touched or used) it's perfect. It will go back in the car. I will include a picture of the cutting this woman or someone did. It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that they didn't care. Maybe Im just a 15 year old and I sound stupid, but it really makes me mad that I now have to take my own money and purchase a $70 dash piece for the radio simply because people cannot appreciate the rarity of a car to be so original. Well anyways this is quite long and I thought I would update on the progress. I will include pictures below. A few questions...

Anyone know what size rims we should order... Want a staggered stance with larger tires in the back... Want to go for an aggressive look but not too extreme. What are the best classic muscle car tires as well?

Exhaust wise... What would you all recommend for a 302 2v car that is all original mechanically? I need an answer concerning the headers to use and mufflers. We prefer dual exhaust and I just want to hear your alls opinions. Thank you guys! Here are some pictures.. And by the way... My dad is surrounded with engines and works on that stuff all the time.., but we do not know what this blue almost looks like a cooking pot is? Anyone know?

My iPad will only let me upload these one reply at a time.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a vapor canister, and it's painted Ford Corporate Blue - Duplicolor makes this color, and is available at local parts stores. The vapor canister is part of the fuel return system - it's there to help contain the vapors from both the engine fuel return system, as well as the vapors that vent from the gas tank - just keeps the fuel system "closed" while allowing a place for the vapors to expand and move around, without having to smell the 'gas smell' like with most older cars.

If the radio works, and you're planning on putting it back, you might check into an add-on kit that will allow you to plug-in an iPod. I'm pretty sure it's a bolt-on option, or might even be as simple as plugging into the antenna jack. That way, you'll have some modern tunes and the ability to play your own music when you wish, without having to dump the factory stereo (plus, nobody will be tempted to steal an old AM radio like that anyway, so it offers some anti-theft help as well).

I saw your picture with the Cragar S/Ss and definitely approve. ::thumb:: You also mentioned "staggered" look - here's something to consider: 15x7s w/245-60R15s up front, 15x8s w/275-60R15s out back. Mine is running 295/50R15s on 15x10s in the rear, but because there's not quite enough offset, they stick-out a bit... probably more than you'd like. Go with the 275s and you won't be unhappy.

attachment.php

Hope this helps!

Great up date!

I just picked up my wheels and tires. I went with 245/60/15 on 7" magnums up front and 255/60/15 on 8" on the rear. I'm very happy with the amount of stagger.

Do plan on going back to the original color and do you know what color code it is?

wheels 010.jpg

That is a vapor canister, and it's painted Ford Corporate Blue - Duplicolor makes this color, and is available at local parts stores. The vapor canister is part of the fuel return system - it's there to help contain the vapors from both the engine fuel return system, as well as the vapors that vent from the gas tank - just keeps the fuel system "closed" while allowing a place for the vapors to expand and move around, without having to smell the 'gas smell' like with most older cars.

If the radio works, and you're planning on putting it back, you might check into an add-on kit that will allow you to plug-in an iPod. I'm pretty sure it's a bolt-on option, or might even be as simple as plugging into the antenna jack. That way, you'll have some modern tunes and the ability to play your own music when you wish, without having to dump the factory stereo (plus, nobody will be tempted to steal an old AM radio like that anyway, so it offers some anti-theft help as well).

I saw your picture with the Cragar S/Ss and definitely approve. ::thumb:: You also mentioned "staggered" look - here's something to consider: 15x7s w/245-60R15s up front, 15x8s w/275-60R15s out back. Mine is running 295/50R15s on 15x10s in the rear, but because there's not quite enough offset, they stick-out a bit... probably more than you'd like. Go with the 275s and you won't be unhappy.

attachment.php

Hope this helps!
Thank you! It does very much! And yes that picture with the cragars I found on the Internet and actually talked to the owner a bit. I should tell him about this website. I really like your setup concerning the wheels. That looks really nice I might have to look into that.

Great up date!

I just picked up my wheels and tires. I went with 245/60/15 on 7" magnums up front and 255/60/15 on 8" on the rear. I'm very happy with the amount of stagger.

Do plan on going back to the original color and do you know what color code it is?
Original color code is (6F) which is gold glow. Know anything about this color? I heard it was an extra $34 option. Not too sure but we will be painting it this color. We bought the paint last year for it at Gipes auto color.

::welcome::

I'm a proud owner along with my dad of a 1972 mustang hardtop. I bought this car November 27, 2013 and I have been working on it ever since. I recently turned 15 and all of my life I have loved old mustangs. My dad works for Ford and he owns a 2014 convertible in ruby red. Now a little bit about the car.... It's the base v8 - 302 2v. Car was originally gold glow when I bought it... Had a white vinyl top and the doggy bowl hubcaps. A family had bought it from the original owners who bought it in 72. The original owners had immediately ziebarted it at the dealership and the car has never seen rain. It was in amazing condition from pictures. A family bought it and a month later sold it to their daughter. She has had it for several years... It's been underneath a tree for quite sometime. When I picked up the car we drove it home and she gave me the dealership invoice, owners manual with cover, and a fact book all from 1972. This car is basically rust free... Just has body work to do. Removed the interior and found the floor pans to be 99.9% solid. Just coke spilled carpet rust. Very clean. I have two build sheets as well. Now to find a car in such good condition, and to have all of the manuals and sheets... Is this quite rare? What do you all think? Picture is day 1 of pickup at the lady's house... I had not even touched the car yet. Still sitting in mine when me and my dad went to pick it up.
::welcome::Looking fwd of seeing more of your project. Mine, after 11 years is looking at an official cruise out of county, per se. too much work on it and too much flack from the wife that just does not seem to trust it for an out of town trip. Ha! something to see all the work put into it, a 300 pic bio, per se on my photo album. Mikke

@ the NASA hood-may as well go the extra mile w/the ram air kit and the 'ram air quote' on the stencilled area. You won't regret it
Not too sure about the ram air... It's a 302 2v.. Was ram air available for a 302? I am not sure if it could have been an available option on a base 302 mach 1 at the least. Let me know. Thanks everyone for all of the welcomes!
ps, if you have the hood and not looking at an all stock, it will give you a little more performance and efficiency and in fact on the 302, I have seen even further like the 87's with an H.O. bi nozzle, even more impressive in my eyes but mine is all mod anyways. Mikke

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back