72 mach 1 Grandmas original first car

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So are you signed up for track day in April for the MOM Mustang Owner's Museum 55 ann. meet? Get to run the Roval at the Charlotte track. Need more mustangs to break the current world record for most in a parade. Believe it or not Mexico holds the record I think 900 + and they only have 400 signed up so far. Depending on your tires, belts and equipment on your car they set max speed you can run.

Do you have a drive shaft loop on the car? Might better put one on with that much hp kicking around.

I'm not really all that into Concord Motor Speedway having grown up almost beside it and family having ties with Humpy all the way back to the initial construction. As far as the car and running it around any track its far from ready for that, I'm just running it along surface streets and looking for issues, haven't even tried the interstates yet and I'm glad i didn't with the idle arm failure, I would have been doing 70+ and lost 1/2 steering. I actually don't have a drive shaft loop in place but since you bring it up its probably not a bad idea. This weekend is replacement of the idle arm, switching the speedo gear and taking out the flowmaster 50 series and switching to dynomax turbo mufflers ( I built the motor so strong she refuses to drive it because its too loud :) On that note it the turbo turn out well I'll have a brand new set of flowmaster 50's for 2.5 inch pipes if anyone is interested.

I know some will question wtf I'm thinking but seriously its unbearably loud, I'll take some db measurements and post em just for giggles.

Last edited by a moderator:
I know I've been gone for a good while but hey, life...…… I did actually switch the mufflers to turbos and its pretty damn sweet in my opinion. Grandma still thinks its a bit loud but after I took her out to dinner in it and she became the woman to ask about the sick muscle car that came to the door of the restaurant and picked her up she is becoming more open to how its setup now. Couple little things are creeping up though so if anyone (specifically MIDLIFE) has any input I'd apprecieate it. 

I noticed the headlights are coming in an out, as in not always on, any major culprits to check first? Also even though the car can sit for 3-7 days and not show any real drain on the battery sometimes, even in a few days the battery can be nearly dead, to the point that the clock in the dash wont even run. All the grounds are solid as that was a possible issue I found that could have caused some whackiness, but its still popping up. Any suggestions of a particular switch/relay/ whatever that could be the culprit of a slow drain?

Also a set of mach1 tips and flowmaster 50's are still available if anyone is interested.

The headlight switch has a circuit breaker built into it, that if it's overloaded or weak, will pop and reset. If you haven't replaced it yet, you could try a top quality switch from Standard pt# DS-148

https://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=43501&cc=1197806&jsn=675

However, the true fix is to a relay harness that pulls power directly from the battery. Midlife has a how-to on his website.

http://midlife66.com/wiring/halrelays.html

or you can get a custom made one from Daniel Stern Lighting.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/relays/relays.html

To verify the suspected draw, use a multimeter to measure the amperage draw with everything off, doors closed etc. If you do have a draw, start pulling fuses one by one until you see a change in the current. The shop manual will tell you what accessories are on the circuit powered by that fuse, so you know where to start.

I hate electrical bugs, lol. One thing I have on my car is a quick disconnect on the battery. I never leave battery hooked up some little critter get in there and chew the wrong thing. Also you can unscrew the connection and put in your pocket at shows or when out in town. You can steal one of these cars in less than 10 seconds with one piece of wire to hook up coil to battery and short the solenoid and away you go.

Heck I took the vert to Lowe's yesterday to get an outside faucet. I have two sets of keys for the car the PO changed the ignition switch so door and switch do not match and I have not taken time to repin it. I locked the door key up in the console of the car. So I went back in Lowe's bought a short piece of 1/8" brass rod went by tools and bent a hook on end with needle nose pliers. Went to the car and in 3 seconds had the door open.

I might head down to MOM in June to a Ford day at the museum. I need to check on my car there also. Would love to see your car the show at the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum is free but charge to get into MOM. Probably going to drive the 73 vert has not had any issues in this 90 deg. heat we are having so would trust on the 200 + mile trip. It starts early at 7:30 to 12:00 I believe. Too hot to be out long.

I hate electrical bugs, lol. One thing I have on my car is a quick disconnect on the battery. I never leave battery hooked up some little critter get in there and chew the wrong thing. Also you can unscrew the connection and put in your pocket at shows or when out in town. You can steal one of these cars in less than 10 seconds with one piece of wire to hook up coil to battery and short the solenoid and away you go.

Heck I took the vert to Lowe's yesterday to get an outside faucet. I have two sets of keys for the car the PO changed the ignition switch so door and switch do not match and I have not taken time to repin it. I locked the door key up in the console of the car. So I went back in Lowe's bought a short piece of 1/8" brass rod went by tools and bent a hook on end with needle nose pliers. Went to the car and in 3 seconds had the door open.

I might head down to MOM in June to a Ford day at the museum. I need to check on my car there also. Would love to see your car the show at the MOM, Mustang Owner's Museum is free but charge to get into MOM. Probably going to drive the 73 vert has not had any issues in this 90 deg. heat we are having so would trust on the 200 + mile trip. It starts early at 7:30 to 12:00 I believe. Too hot to be out long.
What about the column lock  ??? 

Can't steer or get it in gear. These were high tech theft proof autos

ya know David I actually might be able to do a day at the museum, I'm not an early riser but I think I could have my brother start the day with the grandmother and I could come later. I'd love for you to be able to look her over, I know her imperfections but I seem to be the only one. What are the dates? Thanks for the input on the draw, I'll look at it. When the shop rechecked it they couldn't see any draw even though the battery would die when I had it in the garage. Weird. I'll see if I can find one.

Back