72 Mach tribute

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351
1971 Mustang Sportsroof
1972 Q Code 4-speed conv.
I guess they went too far with this one. As a tribute - could have done much better to remove lower sportsroof/hardtop/conv trim done 'tribute' Decor Group argent on bottom then apply the side stripes - minus that weird one!!! I have never seen a stripe like that = and I am thankful!!! :)

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/wst/cto/5401812776.html

72 Mach tribute bad stripe.jpg

Ray

this has been on ebay a couple times

The extra stripes confuses the lines. Whomever did the paint probably didn't want to deal with the posts that hold the lower moulding clips. They could have sold the moulding to pay for the extra body work.

I do like the color.

From the pix, looks like a decent respray.
Yes. Just to be ruined by the errant stripe = lack of attention to detail.

Someone "thought" that extra stripe would look good. Makes me wonder what else they thought and maybe DID to the car.

Ray

I'm not seeing anything still on the car that says "Décor Trim" on the exterior of the car. No urethane bumper, sport grille, or honeycomb taillight panel, and if it would've had the Décor Trim rocker moulding (where the oddball stripes are located), it wouldn't have had the lower moulding trim along with it (it was an "either/or" kind of a thing, as far as I'm aware).

Wasn't the rocker moulding in the Décor Trim (that separates the colors of the two-tone paint jobs) a Mach 1/Sprint [& Boss 351] thing? If so, shouldn't it have the urethane bumper, sport grille, and honeycomb taillight panel trim with it?

My guess is the restorer used one of the over-optioned cars found on Google as reference (one of the original "no stripe" cars with both stripes and rocker moulding) and came up with the idea to put the oddball stripe where the rocker moulding would've been, if so equipped. The oddball stripe might be covering the holes from the "Mustang" script badges missing from the fenders.

Otherwise, it looks like a fairly well-done effort. In order to call it a Mach 1 tribute for the purpose to get more money, I would've learned a little more about the car I was trying to mimic, gone a little farther toward completing the package (by actually putting some actual Mach 1 trim on the car, besides just a sticker kit) and used the correct terminology (351 Cleveland is not a big block, after all). I also would've at least put the air conditioning back together if I was going to use it as a selling point, rather than just leave the bracket hanging there empty.

I'd see if he'd go for $8500 and meet somewhere in the middle (Mach 1 stickers aren't worth $4K, after all). Then I'd peel off all the stickers (stripes and all) and just enjoy a nice green '72 Mustang, free from being hassled by the purists. ;) Maybe toss on a set of 15" Keystone Classics, too. ::thumb::::thumb::::thumb::

Hey, at least the trunk spoiler's not on backward. ::thumb::

Is it me, or does the car maybe have roll-down quarter windows? The 5th-from-the-last picture (with the driver door open) seems to be missing the "B-pillar" trim on the quarter window. Maybe it's rolled down? I'm seeing manual cranks on the doors, and can't see any cranks on the quarter trim panels (but the seats just might be in the way in the pictures). Based on the difference in the background, maybe the pic was taken while they were replacing the interior. :huh:

Back