72 race car update

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Great pictures. Thanks for keeping us updated. The shop makes me want to build. Chuck

How big is the shop? Possibly looking to sell the current homestead and move further out into the country. Plan is to build a metal building for the toys.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the complements and yea it fills up quickly. This building is 40x60 with 12' walls, all I got left to finish is the septic and a concrete approach which I prob won't do till spring. At least I can get back to work on the cars.

finally getting something accomplished, but slowly. we got the motor together for the cougar, but now on the search for a 5 bolt bell housing for a c4. (a needle in a hay stack) the current one is cracked, we had it welded but I'm not really trusting how much heat he put into it and I think its going to crack again. I got the alum headed motor and trans ready to go into the mach 1 but waiting on the converter from the trans shop to bolt it all together. I also got the hood moved forward to meet all the body lines. I should fixing the hood and fiber glassing some reinforcement into it soon.

Just love those stacks on the Cougar motor. The 67 coupe looks like a sweet street machine. Looking forward to vids of your newly put together 72 blasting out passes. The new shop rocks. I think what I'm saying is when I grow up I wanna be you lol.

What heads are on the Cougar SB? I don't recognize the exhaust ports..

Was that a blown Cammer?

Last edited by a moderator:
My 72 is by no means a new build. It's been a race car since about 1978 or 79. The previous owner never even put the title in his name. I bought the car in 2006. It had a 73 grill in it which I did not like so I switched it back to a 71/72 grill. I'm cleaning up a bunch of original poor build stuff along the way to hopefully some new paint. I will try and post some videos of the car. The new shop has been real nice, actually having some room to work is a luxury.

The heads on the cougar are 289 hi po k code heads. They came factory with round exhaust ports. And the blown engine is a early 392 Hemi. It came off my grandpa's pulling tractor. Last time it ran was 1975 or so. I plan on putting it I'm a front motor dragster at some point.

started getting some fiberglass work done, I was surprised at all the thin spots im fixing in the new front end.

Motor back in the car, I will be adding a funny car cage in the next couple weeks.

So I have not made much progress on the car this summer. I now have the motor and trans out of the car and installed in a fox body mustang that way I have a car to race while I paint the 72. It now is up on the lift for storage till a get the time to work on the paint.

this is from the only race I made with the 72 this year

new car

I really like dark gray metallic, I was wanting to do a black stripe till I saw Tim baily's new car. I think its going to have orange Mach one stripes and lettering. what do you guys think?

I did not make drag week, wish I had the time do so. I watched some of it on the live feed. I first saw pictures of his car from the pri show this year and it caught my eye with the gray paint and the orange stripes look really good on the gray.

What timing cover did you use for your 460 build? Is it stock or aftermarket? I'm looking for an aftermarket with a solid quality and fit. Any suggestions based off what you have?

All three bbf's I have running right now have stack timing chain covers. The only problem with the stock covers is the water passage can coroner out. The only aftermarket cover I'm familer with is the Danny bee belt drive set up and it's pretty pricy or I would be running it.

so I finally getting off high center on this project. After not touching it all last summer I am making a little progress. Cut all the old really hacked up stuff out and ready for the new.

Back