73-2014 swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a great project. There is a time lapse video / photo on youtube of someone doing an earlier mustang blend of old and new. It goes from start to driving. Will have to look it up and maybe put link. In today's world will probably bring more than a restored example. 

You will probably inspire more to do this. Will eliminate lots of problem areas in current car. 

The engine bay of the 71-73 should take about any engine out there. I think it was designed to accomidate the Boss 429. 

I am no expert but the farther back you can sit the engine the better the car will handle for sure. Seems like rule of thumb was to have second spark plug from front in line with the spindles. 

Look at a AC Cobra how far back the engine is or even the 55 - 57 T-birds. Almost the whole engine is behind the spindles if I remember correct.

Great job.

I see you are in N.C. so I think when you go to get title, tag up to date you will need the Bill of Sale for the drive train from donor and of course your VIN # and info from the 73. They might even assign a new VIN# and DOT inspect the car.

I couldn't find the time lapse of the build but I think this is one of the cars they built. He does as a business.

Last edited by a moderator:
Rob,Motor mounts I got from the tin man , cut to fit and are mounted in the stock location, Carolina I looked at Moving the engine back further but it became complicated with the alternator and the exhaust outlets, so I pulled it up some in order to have enough clearance for everything and still have 6 inches in front for the radiator, I think I am really close to dead center of the motor with the motor mounts as you can see from where the shock towers are there a little bit Forward of the second and third cylinder,as far as title and registration I have current title and registration on it now, I was driving it before I started the project so No need for any other vin or anything

Rob,Motor mounts I got from the tin man , cut to fit and are mounted in the stock location, Carolina I looked at Moving the engine back further but it became complicated with the alternator and the exhaust outlets, so I pulled it up some in order to have enough clearance for everything and still have 6 inches in front for the radiator, I think I am really close to dead center of the motor with the motor mounts as you can see from where the shock towers are there a little bit Forward of the second and third cylinder,as far as title and registration I have current title and registration on it now, I was driving it before I started the project so No need for any other vin or anything
Nice job, are making Changes to the tunel ? or did the 6r80 fit right in ?

Only tunnel change is relocate the sifter hole further back, I actually have the tunnel section out of the car if I want to use it, but the 6R80 went right in.

Only tunnel change is relocate the sifter hole further back, I actually have the tunnel section out of the car if I want to use it, but the 6R80 went right in.

Really nice work :)

Looks like a great project. There is a time lapse video / photo on youtube of someone doing an earlier mustang blend of old and new. It goes from start to driving. Will have to look it up and maybe put link. In today's world will probably bring more than a restored example. 

You will probably inspire more to do this. Will eliminate lots of problem areas in current car. 

The engine bay of the 71-73 should take about any engine out there. I think it was designed to accomidate the Boss 429. 

I am no expert but the farther back you can sit the engine the better the car will handle for sure. Seems like rule of thumb was to have second spark plug from front in line with the spindles. 

Look at a AC Cobra how far back the engine is or even the 55 - 57 T-birds. Almost the whole engine is behind the spindles if I remember correct.

Great job.

I see you are in N.C. so I think when you go to get title, tag up to date you will need the Bill of Sale for the drive train from donor and of course your VIN # and info from the 73. They might even assign a new VIN# and DOT inspect the car.

I couldn't find the time lapse of the build but I think this is one of the cars they built. He does as a business.

That guy doing the selfie/video looks like the old Mustang Medic guy.  Probably because it IS! 

Anyway - thanks David for posting this.  That car sure looks quick.

Good luck on the 2014 - 1973 swap.  Ray

Damn I love it man, awesome work! That engine looks perfect in there! Did you not have to notch the shocktowers are anything? Looks like it fits like a glove, I really like where you are going! Keep up the good work :D
From a previous reply by the OP.

Rob no notching it’s tight about 1.5” on each side

Been kind of slow going, not had much time did manage To go over to my guy and get 2 doors, going to use the locking mechanism and power windows out it plus the side mirrors , everyone knows those door mounted mirrors suck. Cut the mounts out of the old doors and tacked them on the 73, I really like the look plus they usable

First picture is of the Piece with the rubber so I could get the angle right next to it of it welded on, no filler yet.now to get my glass cut

Back