73 Alternator 70 AMP OEM configuration & wiring harness

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Mustang Mach 1 Fastback 1973
Hey guys

Today I need your help again with my new Powermaster alternator. OE style wire hook up. OE style case: https://www.npdlink.com/product/alternator-by-powermaster-70-amp-natural-case/205631.

I ordered it and it has finally arrived. I had already received the original cables for the connection on the side some time ago, if you remember.

Now the 73 70 AMP has the OE style but no side plug as originally thought.

I can now either go looking for an original alternator or make the best of the new supposedly original reconditioned alternator and get the plugs on it.

But i need your help because i don't know if it's possible and if so, where the two cables that actually belong on the plug on the alternator have to go if this plug doesn't exist. Just read FLD and STR is the plug on the original wire.

Pictures attached for clarification.

thanks in advance!
Ben

Attachments

• IMG_4357.jpg
    IMG_4357.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 4
  • IMG_4358.JPG
    IMG_4358.JPG
    1.6 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_4359.JPG
    IMG_4359.JPG
    2.9 MB · Views: 2
  • Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 17.35.12.png
    Screenshot 2024-08-07 at 17.35.12.png
    84.1 KB · Views: 4
Powermaster's 70amp alternator is simply an upgraded Autolite/Motorcraft 1G unit, that maxed out at 65amps in stock form. The 70 amp alternator for '73 was available up to 90 amps depending upon the model, eventually going to 100 amps in the later 70's cars.

You can modify your harness to fit the 1G Powermaster unit if you prefer that route. The White w/Black stripe connects to the Stator post, the Orange w/Blue stripe goes to the Field post.

Powermaster's 70amp alternator is simply an upgraded Autolite/Motorcraft 1G unit, that maxed out at 65amps in stock form. The 70 amp alternator for '73 was available up to 90 amps depending upon the model, eventually going to 100 amps in the later 70's cars.

You can modify your harness to fit the 1G Powermaster unit if you prefer that route. The White w/Black stripe connects to the Stator post, the Orange w/Blue stripe goes to the Field post.
Thanks. Unfortunately it’s not original anymore but I can’t search for a new alternator again. A mass cable is not necessary I guess?

Thanks. Unfortunately it’s not original anymore but I can’t search for a new alternator again. A mass cable is not necessary I guess?

A ground (mass) cable is not needed, as the alternator grounds through the engine and battery to block cable. You can add one if you like - there's no such thing as too many grounds.

Back