73 Mach one fiberglass parts

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SLOWnSTEADY

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach One
2000 Chevrolet Impala
1987 Mazda RX7 (Turbo SBF swapped)
1987 Toyota 4Runner (7MGTE swapped)

few other projects...
Hello again! I am finally getting everything moved into the shop and I will be starting on the Mach One shortly. I need to replace the fenders and hood. I was looking at sheet metal of course and then found some fiberglass parts.

Of course, as with any aftermarket part, I am worried about fitment issues. Now, they are basically the same price (within like $20~) and I assume the fiberglass weigh a bit less. I think it would be much easier to deal with fitment issues with the fiberglass ones than the sheet metal. I was considering getting the fiberglass doors and trunk lid as well. it is going to be a "weekend driver" that sees a decent amount of track time.

Any ideas what the weight difference would be? If I got the hood, fenders, doors and trunk lid? Any reason NOT to go with fiberglass parts as they are about the same price? Other than keeping the car "original"? I assume the "side impact" thing with fiberglass doors would come into play but the car will have a roll cage with removable door bars.

Last edited by a moderator:
I seen those when I searched. Nice, but I would rather just buy some then make my own! LOL

60+ views and no input? :(

I wish I had some numbers but have never thought about doing this either.

Fender= not to heavy

Hood= Heavy

Doors= Damn Heavy

Trunk= light to medium

Fiberglass= ALL Light

Weight savings = somewhere between heavy and damn heavy:D

Sorry about that. I started to post and that was as far as I got. I was doing some reseach and got sidetracked.
haha... no problem. I figured you are use to people may be not searching and figured I was just going to ask where to get the parts or something.

FYI, that is where I was/am planning to purchase them from.

Sorry about that. I started to post and that was as far as I got. I was doing some reseach and got sidetracked.
haha... no problem. I figured you are use to people may be not searching and figured I was just going to ask where to get the parts or something.

I try to read every post everyday and it's getting hard to keep up with all the new members we're getting. I love this site:D Machman

I try to read every post everyday and it's getting hard to keep up with all the new members we're getting. I love this site:D Machman
WORD! X10!

Doc

Anyone have any idea where I can get some input on this?

Only thing I can think of is to ask the seller directly but I am sure they will say the fitment is great and everything... LOL

Anyone have any idea where I can get some input on this?

Only thing I can think of is to ask the seller directly but I am sure they will say the fitment is great and everything... LOL
Looks like that might be the best place to start. Check with them and then post back here what they said. Maybe start it in a new thread and there will be some more input.

Doc

Well, I found a different place that sells fiberglass parts, Maier Racing. Both the hood and fenders are pretty much the same price as the steel units from Mustangs Unlimited so I figure I will give them a shot. I am not going to get the doors as of right now, just fenders, hood, and front/rear spoilers.

In the future, I may give the fiberglass doors a try along with some Lexan windows that will function. the ad says fiberglass doors are "for race use only and require plastic windows to be screwed to the door frame." It is going to be a street car without A/C so functioning windows are a must!

It looks as if you might very well become the "authority" on this with your possible purchase.

From what I have heard, "Maier Racing" has had a good reputation over the years.

I would be curious as to the results that you are able to obtain if you decide to use that approach.

BT

Fiberglass parts huh? Im on the same boat. The stock hood is real heavy, around 100lbs id say, my new race weight mach one fiberglass hood from Usbody, MAYBE 15lbs. Metal fenders weigh 50lbs each, the fiberglass ones I made for the car weigh approx 12lbs each! I will be making a trunklid as well, a factory lid is roughly 25-30lbs, my fiberglass one will weigh approx 8lbs. However, the doors are very heavy complete, but I will not put fiberglass doors on the car until there is a rollcage in the car With door bars. God forbid I get t-boned while driving the car with fiberglass doors! I figure you'll save around 130lbs, if not more with fiberglass fenders, doors, and trunklid made of fiberglass, I like that idea!

As for fitment, nothing is going to fit 100%, but you can get either fiberglass or sheetmetal parts to fit with some time and patience.

Hope I was able to help you

Latest posts

Back