73 Mustang exhaust w staggard shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1 Q code C6 tranny
Need help with finding tailpipes for a 73 Mach 1 with staggard shocks. I want to install a 2.5 inch system and can't find anything out there. Was wondering if the JBA Exhaust Kit With Chrome Tips Stainless Steel 2.5" V8 Staggered Rear Shocks 1967-1970 (CJ Pony)will work on a 73? I get various answers so I am wondering if anyone has done this using this kit. Using headers up front and that mod is pretty straight forward but the tailpipe is another story. Any help would be a lifesaver. Dr Gas made tailpipes but unfortunately they discontinued them now.

thx

-jbojo

Not sure if any out of the box kits will work without modications. I took mine to a local shop and had them build what I wanted fronm the headers back with an x pipe installed. Worked out very well.

I, too, am not sure if there are any systems ready to go - - without modifications.

Like Roy (tnfastbk), I also had my tail pipes (for my 429 based 472 and C6) fabricated by a local shop without any issues.

BT

Thank you for the replies. So if I buy a kit for non staggard shocks and have a muffler shop rework the drivers side should work? What should I expect to pay for a shop to fabricate the whole system for me with x pipe etc?

thx again

-jbojo

Fabrication prices are going to vary alot because of different labor costs due to location.

It's mostly labor anyway, pipe is cheep. Call around to the local muffler shops to get a rough

estimate. These cars are easy to work on compared to new cars with cats and O2 sensors.

Fabrication prices are going to vary alot because of different labor costs due to location.

It's mostly labor anyway, pipe is cheep. Call around to the local muffler shops to get a rough

estimate. These cars are easy to work on compared to new cars with cats and O2 sensors.
...what he said:)!

BT

$350 - $500 for complete aluminized system from headers to tailpipe is typical in WNY. You supply the proper chrome (or SS) extensions out the back. Stainless may run a bit more more.

[attachment=13552][attachment=13553][attachment=13554]TriCities, WA.

Found out that the car has the mounting bracket to convert it to nonstaggard configuration, just a matter of drilling a hole for the top of the shock. Debating on doing that so that I can get an exhaust kit fairly easy then. Here is some info as to how I am setting it up:

Q code 351C (10.5 :1) bored 30 over with 290 duration cam. 71 closed chambered heads

C6 with overdrive, 2800 stall

3.90 track loc with disk brakes

EFI kit (MSD Atomic) which is set up to control the ignition timing.

Blue thunder intake

Getting ready to drop the drivetrain in and fire it up for the first time in 23 yrs. Attaching some pics .

Thx for the help on my exhaust question. I'll start another thread with my build so if anyone is interested they can follow along.

-jbojo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back