What category of "Mustang People" do you feel you fit in?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 351c M-code FMX trans and 9 inch rear end
I came across this ad and thought it was hilarious! I love looking at old ad print, the terminology is borderline ridiculous sometimes.

I once found a magazine ad for a 69 Camaro that said "does it have get up and go - you betcha". It seemed that was their go-to back then, to ask a question they feel people are thinking and answer it in the same sentence, haha.

Although this one would be quite quite problematic and would never make it past the original pitch today. It has just a touch of racism with the Asian guy making the reference to the cleaners and they touched on the sexist angle with the pretty girl in the bathing suit saying she dates guys because of what car they drive. 🤨

So back to the original premise....

What category of "Mustang People" do you feel you fit in?

I will start.....

I would like to say I am the sophisticated "I like my European cars on the American plan" guy but probably more accurately I'm the "Mustang puts me all together without taking me to the cleaners" guy with the goofy smile, LOL.😁

Mustang brochure 19.jpg

I'm definitely a "Fastback guy".
I fell in love with a Grabber Lime Mach 1 that I saw on a street in Birmingham, England back in 1972. I told my friend that one day I'd own one of them. He laughed!! 8 months later, I moved to SW Ontario, Canada. Less than a year later I bought my first one, a 71 302 Fastback. I've owned 3 Mach 1's since. I guess I'm hooked.

You may laugh, but in the '70's there were girls that dated guys based on whether or not they had a "cool" car.
True enough. It was not so much a status thing back then as it was not wanting to being seen in a Japanese econobox kind of car. And what girl did not want to be in the car that would win street races one after another. I know that sound like I am saying back in the early 70s girls were a bit shallow, but all I know is I had a 69 Mustang Coupe that looked and ran great. Later on I had 69 Mach 1, that was every bit as nice as the 69 Coupe had been, but its edgier, meaner SportsRoof (FastBack) look I found it was more alluring to gals. I do not think it was merely a wanton observation. After I had the Mach 1 everything seemed to change for me.

The photo is of me at 19, just before turning 20, next to my 69 Mach 1, circa late 1974 in Woodland Hills, CA outside my parents; home back then. Also in the photo toward the rear is my younger brother with his new 1975 Mach 1 with a 302 engine in it (1974 did not have the v-8 in it). In the driveway was our father's 1974 Lincoln Mark IV with its beastly 460 v-8. Fun times...

Attachments

• Bob75V8MachI_Gil 1969MachI_Dad74 LincolnMarkIV_Summer1974.jpg
    Bob75V8MachI_Gil 1969MachI_Dad74 LincolnMarkIV_Summer1974.jpg
    611.1 KB
Back