9" nodular rear axle what's it worth?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1 m code
There is a guy locally selling a nodular 9" posi rear drum to drum for $400. It came out of a 71 429 Mach 1 with a/c (I asked). I assume it has 3.25 gears because of the a/c. He didn't know the ratio and didn't know if it had 31 spline axles but he's gonna check and call me later. Does it sound like a good buy?

a couple of quick pointers

If you can see the axles' outboard ends, you can tell 28 from 31 splines without disassembling. 31 splines will have two small holes whereas 28 splines will have one large sort of oval recess

axle ratio can be determined by turning one axle a single rotation and counting the yoke's rotation. If the yoke turns 3 1/4 times it is a 3.25

Posi can be determined by turning one axle and watching the other Posi units will both turn the same way, open units will turn in opposite directions.

If in good shape and what you want, then $400.00 is a bargain

a center section/pumpkin/drop out/third member with good gears and a properly functioning track lok (posi) unit is worth the $400.00 alone

If there is a N on the case it is valuable. A new Strange case with gears and a trutrac is over $1200 bucks, with no axels no housing no bearings etc. so there's your answer.

Thanks guys for the info. I ended up meeting that guy after work today and I bought it. It is a 31 spline nodular 9" with 4.11 gear and traction loc posi. It has the correct pinion snubber on it and it appears that it has the Daytona pinion support. The story is that it came out of a 71 429 ram air 4 Spd non a/c Mach 1. Not sure if those are original gears until I pull it apart and find out. Thanks again guys!

Good score I sold a used one of those for 1600.00 about 4 years ago

If the gears are original it should have been a non - a/c car

Pretty sure you could not get a/c with drag pack 391 or 411 cars

Is the tag still on it ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Unfortunately the tag is long gone, that was the first thing I went to look for. He did say it came from a non a/c car w a 4 speed. At least the guy had enough sense to keep the rear indoors and out of the weather. I'm gonna try to see if I can find any original paint markings before I disassemble it for blasting.

That is great find. I just burnt a brand new one up in 72 Q I bought. I trailer-ed the car home then had to move it towed 9 miles on a dolly with rear wheels down. I did not know there was no grease in the brand new 4.11 detroit locker.:mad: It did not sound good when we pushed it in the new garage.

David

Good score I sold a used one of those for 1600.00 about 4 years ago

If the gears are original it should have been a non - a/c car

Pretty sure you could not get a/c with drag pack 391 or 411 cars

Is the tag still on it ?
Don is correct. Could only get 3:91, 4:11, (4:30 Torino/Cyclone) with the Drag Pak option and Ford knew the AC compressors would not live with those gears. So AC was not available on Drag Pak or the Boss cars.

Great find. 9" N case with 4:11 gears and 31 spline axles! That is defiantly what I would call the score of the year! ::thumb::

Back