9" Rear end

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Darren 72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1
Hi Guys,

Just wondering what you would do with the 9" rear end that was pulled out of my Mustang. I am going to paint it and such but should I look inside and changeout any seals or gaskets. I was thinking of replacing the wheel bearings at a minimum.

Thanks,

D. Rolls

Taking care of the wheel bearings and seals is probably a good idea.

I would also think about the pinion seal, because they aren't fun to replace laying on your back under the car, due to the torque requirements. This will require getting a new crush sleeve.

I would rotate the pinion back and forth to see how much backlash you have. If the backlash is OK and it didn't make any noise when driving it and the gaskets aren't leaking I wouldn't pull it apart just to replace the gaskets.

One concept to look into is replacing the crush sleeve with a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Takes the hassle out of replacement. One time and done. If you have ever over tightened a crush sleeve you will understand the frustration that goes along with it.

allow me to act in my role as devil's advocate

axle seals and rear axle wheel bearings only. Center section seal only if it was leaking.

Changing the pinion seal means resetting the pinion gear and back lash-doing this on used gears will lead to premature wear. It may be minor, but it may also eat your ring and pinion.

9" center sections are easy enough to remove from the housing if you later have problems, but if it was smooth and quiet and the track loc function worked well, I would not disassemble the pinion or touch any adjustments.

allow me to act in my role as devil's advocate

axle seals and rear axle wheel bearings only. Center section seal only if it was leaking.

Changing the pinion seal means resetting the pinion gear and back lash-doing this on used gears will lead to premature wear. It may be minor, but it may also eat your ring and pinion.

9" center sections are easy enough to remove from the housing if you later have problems, but if it was smooth and quiet and the track loc function worked well, I would not disassemble the pinion or touch any adjustments.
+1 if its all still working fine. However if its out you probably won't have a better opertunity to give it a full once over. I would go for a true Trac over a track loc if you are looking to do that upgrade

One concept to look into is replacing the crush sleeve with a crush sleeve eliminator kit. Takes the hassle out of replacement. One time and done. If you have ever over tightened a crush sleeve you will understand the frustration that goes along with it.
Totally agree. If you have to pull the pinion seal, definitely consider going with a crush sleeve eliminator kit. I used the Ratech kit from Summit. http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rat-4105/all. Worked like a charm when rebuilding the 8.8 diff in my truck.

Back