A/C Removal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigfoot72

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Ford Mustang Coupe
Hi Everyone,

So i want to remove the A/C in my 1972 Mustang because it isn't working and i want to clear up some space in the engine bay to make it easier to work on other things. Here are some questions i have.

Do i need to plug the inserts for the hoses when i remove them?

Is it as easy as just removing the hoses and unbolting the compressor?

What should i know when doing this so i don't make a catastrophe out of something simple.

I attached some pictures as well.

Thanks,

-Zak Nyberg

IMG_5800.jpg

IMG_5801.jpg

Is the system still charged? If so you will want to get it purged especially if its still charged both from an environmental and safety standpoint. All refrigerant is recycled and you could possibly get some cash for it if its R-12. If you plan to reuse the system you should plug all the openings so that its not contaminated and store it away. Then its just a matter of removing the hoses and the compressor and the condensor.

Do a search I think this has been reviewed before. The bracket for the Power Steering is different when you don't have air and so is the power steering cooler. You can still use the bracket used for the air cond. but it is big also. The P.S. bracket is ugly bad ugly, see pic.

Yea I would put plastic over the hoses and connections and wrap tight with tape to keep critters out and put all on one plastic tote to keep it all together.

I believe Air Cond. was the most expensive option on our cars when new. They do work good if you clean the system, change out the o-rings for ones compatible with the new refrigerants and keep it charged. When you are taking the lines loose at firewall and radiator support be sure and have wrench on both sides or you will twist something into.

Heck when I got my 73 new I drove home an pulled the belt off the air first thing, needed that 5 hp for other things.

DSC00125.JPG

Back