A Peculiar Engine Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So just for the heck of it I went to see what the current Bonneville speed record was for a Flathead Ford. I did not believe it but here it is over 300 mph.

http://flatfire.com/Flathead300mph.htm

He is not even a race concrete guy, lol. They make all the money.

Says he is getting over 700 hp from that little 239 CI engine, lol. I bet it is punched to the limits and more.

Here is another link where a flathead in a regular body goes over 200 mph in 1.5 mile standing start run this year in Main.

https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/threads/ford-flathead-200mph-rear-engine-modified-27-roadster.1115973/

Like I say you had to have lived in that era to know why you would put a flathead in a mustang.

Now let's see you guys do that with a cleveland or 429.

Well, Geoff I have to admit that I still have the Commodore in a box in the basement. I know if I hooked that bad boy up (green screen,floppy disk drive ) it would work. I do not have my IBM 286 anymore though. LOL.  As for engine swaps I am a purist. Period correct power plants only and swapping out the 6 for an 8 is fine by me.  And for the love of God no F$#%^@& GM engines in Fords.  

Ron
 Ron, too funny! Actually my step son has a Commodore 64 under the house with the floppy disc drive and yes, it would probably work too. The Vic 20 I bought for my son, but to print anything, one had to program every line and it needed an old 12" b&l tv for a monitor.

Anyway, back to the engine thing.

Boy, am I with you on no bleepin Chevy sh*t in a Ford!! I cringe when I see a beautiful 30's Ford hot rod or anything else Ford for that matter and some dumbass has put a Chevy lump in it. Should be shot and peed on!! However having said that, I must reluctantly admit, the Chevy with the dizzy at the back (where no-one can work on it) does "package" better regarding spark plug wire routing. Fords and Mopar's can look a bit messy in that regard.

Geoff.

\

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Geoff I have to admit that I still have the Commodore in a box in the basement. I know if I hooked that bad boy up (green screen,floppy disk drive ) it would work. I do not have my IBM 286 anymore though. LOL.  As for engine swaps I am a purist. Period correct power plants only and swapping out the 6 for an 8 is fine by me.  And for the love of God no F$#%^@& GM engines in Fords.  

Ron
 Ron, too funny! Actually my step son has a Commodore 64 under the house with the floppy disc drive and yes, it would probably work too. The Vic 20 I bought for my son, but to print anything, one had to program every line and it needed an old 12" b&l tv for a monitor.

Boy, am I with you on no bleepin Chevy sh*t in a Ford!! I cringe when I see a beautify 30's Ford hot rod or anything else Ford for that matter and some dumbass has put a Chevy lump in it. Should be shot and peed on!! However having said that, I must reluctantly admit, the Chevy with the dizzy at the back (where no-one can work on it) does "package" better regarding spark plug wire routing. Fords and Mopar's can look a bit messy in that regard.

Geoff.

\
Put a Y block in if you like the rear distributor. Ford saw that error and changed pretty quick. Even with hood opening to the front was a pain. Don't see how it would make it any different? I know the Y-block had all the brackets to hold them so the exhaust did not meld them.

Ron

Boy, am I with you on no bleepin Chevy sh*t in a Ford!! I cringe when I see a beautify 30's Ford hot rod or anything else Ford for that matter and some dumbass has put a Chevy lump in it. Should be shot and peed on!! However having said that, I must reluctantly admit, the Chevy with the dizzy at the back (where no-one can work on it) does "package" better regarding spark plug wire routing. Fords and Mopar's can look a bit messy in that regard.

Geoff.

That is awesome Geoff, I remember typing in lines of code to be able to print on the 64 as well. If you screwed up one line you had to start from scratch. God that sucked. It is funny you mentioned a 30s Ford hot rod one of my father's old friends has an award winning 32 Ford with a Chevy 350 (of course). I just did the carbs last week for him. I did make it run nice for a Chevy. I told him he should put a Cleveland in there because they are just prettier IMO. 

Ron

Ron

Geoff.

That is awesome Geoff, I remember typing in lines of code to be able to print on the 64 as well. If you screwed up one line you had to start from scratch. God that sucked. It is funny you mentioned a 30s Ford hot rod one of my father's old friends has an award winning 32 Ford with a Chevy 350 (of course). I just did the carbs last week for him. I did make it run nice for a Chevy. I told him he should put a Cleveland in there because they are just prettier IMO. 

Ron
 I might have 'fixed it' so it didn't run!! Oh how sad, too bad, time for a replacement Ford motor!!

Back