Aaaarrrgghh! UPDATED

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ah crap. Sorry dude. Some snot nosed 15 year old snuck his daddy’s car out and did that 30 years ago. I finally fixed it correctly 5 years ago.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As long as it drives fine it makes me happy. 

Pristine condition means too much stress and worries.

:)
I'm right there with you on this one.

First thing I did after getting my car back after paint was take my key and reached

under the fender well lip and put the first scratch in her.... Done deal.

My condolences on your ride, I feel your pain.

My late wife modified mine back in the '80s with a railroad crossing light pole.

Bru

Having just gone through fixing mine after being rear ended, I can feel your pain.

MRP2003.jpg

Ouch! Those were hit much worse than mine. I haven't had time to look into it yet as I'm rehearsing like crazy for a new gig in a band.

I'll keep you posted on the updates.

Mike, sure hated to see the remodel on your rear bumper. If you driven a 71-73 for any amount of time (especially if you've owned one since the 70's when it was used as a daily driver) there was a very good probability of you joining  the "I've backed into a ___________" Club! While the dual racing mirrors looked good, they (and the gun turret slit rear window on the sportsroof) did little for visibility when used for backing up. I managed to get my membership card within the first year of owning my Pewter 71 Mach 1.

I had run some parts out to a friends shop during my lunch break. While inside a mutual friend of ours had returned a low profile car trailer he had borrowed earlier. As usual I spent way too much time bench racing, so I hurried to my car so I wouldn't be late for work.....again!

As i backed up I heard a loud crunching sound and the car shuttered. Our dumb A$$ buddy had left the trailer behind my car, and since I had approached my car from the front I didn't see it! When I attempted to pull forward it finished ripping the remaining few fasteners loose that were still holding the rear valance on. And of course the dual exhaust tips that I liked to polish like a Genies lamp were also damaged!  :mad:  There was a VERY heated exchange between myself and Mr Trailer, but he did offer to pay for the damage after the dust had settled.

And..I did get a standing ovation from onlookers when in a fit of anger I tossed my damaged rear valence as well as in any Olympic event.     :D

Great story! :)

Well, I've had this car for 17 years now and I mostly use it as a daily driver during the good season and I've backed into stuff at least 4 or 5 times, so I'm getting used to it. :)

Seems all to common. When I got my  '71 Mach 1 in 08, got it home to SW Ontario and was able to give it a really good 'once over', it became obvious that at some point in it's life, someone had backed it into something hard............. and on the right corner! The bumper was a repop for starters. The car had been repainted by a PO and I got the story on how and why it was done, so the damage had to have been done prior to that and repaired. Only when I had the car stripped and redone, did we find the extent of the damage, but fortunately not too bad, just needed to replace the rear light panel which had the obligatory rust pin-holes in it anyway.

As for mirrors, no doubt you've read posts from me about an enlarged convex mirror I made for my car. The ones currently on the market make rear vision worse if anything. Even with my mirror, I am thinking about adding a full time rear view camera, but where do I "hide" the camera? I have an original license plate surround from the dealership and I don't want to mess it up or lose it. My thought is to go with wireless type and bypass the back-up switch. I need the largest screen available and I need it to be removable so it's not seen when at car shows. I did like the one that goes on the rear view mirror, but a bit too small for my old eyes. Still a maybe!

Yes it sucks when we hit "stuff". I took the paint off my right front fender while backing out of my 1 car garage, trying to NOT back into something!! (Hence the need for the repaint in 2013)

Geoff.

If these cars live a real life as they are supposed to, they'll suffer like we all do. But it creates personality. Plus things like these make me bond even more with it. Shared experiences and stories to tell.

I actually don't mind.

Ok, UPDATE:

No other damage than the bumper. Not even the brackets are bent. 

Only minor thing is a scratch in the matte black paint on the tail light panel where the bumper must have hit the panel. No big deal. 

Only decision now is how I'll proceed I still have the original bumper but it's really ugly, doesn't shine and the chrome is pitted. 

I wonder if I should maybe paint it until I get a replacement. 

I'll see....

IMG_0027.JPG

Ok, UPDATE:

No other damage than the bumper. Not even the brackets are bent. 

Only minor thing is a scratch in the matte black paint on the tail light panel where the bumper must have hit the panel. No big deal. 

Only decision now is how I'll proceed I still have the original bumper but it's really ugly, doesn't shine and the chrome is pitted. 

I wonder if I should maybe paint it until I get a replacement. 

I'll see....

Great news

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So here's what I did today. 

I took the original rear bumper of my car with the very bad chrome, took an angle grinder with a soft disc to it to scuff up the chrome and take some of the "goose bumps" of, primed and painted the whole shebang and put it back on the car. 

Doesn't look half bad. This is of course only a temporary fix so we all know it might stay like this forever. ::)

Unfortunately I ran out of daylight so the picture isn't good. I'll take another one tomorrow.

IMG_0077.JPG

Mike, That does not look bad at all!! Black and Yellow are one of my fav color combinations.... Grabber Lime and Black being #1!!

Actually, unless you car came with the chrome front bumper, just one chrome bumper looks kinda off on cars with a color keyed front as on Mach's. There's nothing else to compliment it, other than door handles and a little bright-work around the windows.

I'd stick with the black for now and see how it holds up over the summer. If you used a really good quality matt or semi gloss black over a good base, it should be good for several years.

Geoff 

PS I'm envious about your hoist!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Just found this thread. Sorry to see the accident, but thankfully not much damaged. I had been thinking of painting my bumpers black, it turned out very well on your car. Looks good!

Back