Adding a fold down rear seat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1460

Reaction score
My Car
72 mach 1
I would really like to add this in the future, from what I can find I need a set of hinges, the actual fold down panel. ive seen some parts on ebay but what all needs to be changed and has anyone done this??? advice?? I have a complete stock back seat which looks like its never been sat in since 72 haha, but im slowly turning my interior from green to black...

Id bee interested in seeing some pics, pm or ill pm you

I would really like to add this in the future, from what I can find I need a set of hinges, the actual fold down panel. ive seen some parts on ebay but what all needs to be changed and has anyone done this??? advice?? I have a complete stock back seat which looks like its never been sat in since 72 haha, but im slowly turning my interior from green to black...
I did it with my car, but it is quite a task and requires some tough pieces to acquire (which can be expensive). I scored a parts car cheap (for $75, no kidding) that had most of the setup in the car. Having the parts car also allowed me to measure where the brackets had to be welded into my good car.

Off the top of my head, you need the following (no doubt there are additional pieces).

- Fold down assembly (3 pieces, with carpet on it; $$$)

- Trapdoor (easy to find, not too pricey)

- Trapdoor trim piece (metal piece visible from rear window; pricey, but available on eBay from time to time)

- Package tray frame (different for folddown; not easy to find)

- 2 brackets that hold trap door in place

- trapdoor latch (must be welded in)

- special folddown plastic panels (not reproduced, hard to find in good condition; $$$)

Also, you can purchase a hardware replacement set on some of the websites, but the chrome pieces on the main assembly either need to be rechromed or be in good condition.

It is a bear, but it can be done. I just wouldnt recommend buying a basic assembly and thinking either your financial or time investment is anywhere complete.

The package tray removal and the installation of the fold down are not that bad as long as you measure, measure, measure. I'm lucky enough to have both cars sitting side by side and will be doing it as soon as our annual outage is over. May 23. I can give you all the measurements you need after that.

I've got one that is 100% complete brackets & all that I can let go. It's a driver quality, chrome isn't perfect, etc. I won't be able to sell it for a few days though due to my crazy schedule.

Thanks for all the replies everyone, those of you who have the assembly for sale, please pm me some pics and prices when you get a chance I'm interested. any pics of installs and measurements sure are welcome too :)

I'll try to get you some pictures this weekend after I get home from work. Mines open right now on both cars.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back