advice

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jfiery

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1 fastback
Ivy Green
351C
49,970 miles
As so many of you were extremely informative and helpful when i posted my introduction I was hoping I could get some advice on selling my car. Meaning are there certain things that I should point out about my car. I've got a pretty good ballpark estimate of what I can expect from it, and as I said I HATE to get rid of it, but life (or the VA take your pick) has forced my hand at this point.

It's a 1973 Mach 1

Ivy green and silver, it has a dent in right front fender and 39 year old paint but otherwise is in great shape. No rust at all.

351c

my father bought the car new and we are the only owners.

49,975 miles. runs very well.

I have removed the foglights at a members suggestion, I've always hated them as well. He suggested ripping out all the other add-ons but I'm leaving that to the new owner.

I'll be adding updated photos later today.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

John

IMG_0760.jpg

IMG_0761.jpg

IMG_0764.jpg

IMG_0768.jpg

IMG_0766.jpg

IMG_0770.jpg

If it has no rust, your Dad was the orignial owner, it's a true 351C Mach1 with only 49,975 miles...it should bring a pretty penny if you prep it right, but I'd invest in fixing the dent, removing the side pipes and "K-mart/Sears add ons" then detailing it or having it detailed (outside, inside and engine bay).

If it had rust and miles and other deails unknown, only then would I try and sell it as you have it now, but it sounds like it's worth putting the money and effort into getting top dollar out of it.

So what is your ballpark figure you're trying to get out of it, you might find a buyer right here willing to buy "as is" if everything you say checks out.

I agree with Jim's advice. But as a minimum pull out the extra electronics and gauges. Give it a good scrubbing and detailing and post on craigslist. I've had good luck on there but watch out for people offering cashier's checks and other scams.

Good luck with it and with the VA!

If it has no rust, your Dad was the orignial owner, it's a true 351C Mach1 with only 49,975 miles...it should bring a pretty penny if you prep it right, but I'd invest in fixing the dent, removing the side pipes and "K-mart/Sears add ons" then detailing it or having it detailed (outside, inside and engine bay).

If it had rust and miles and other deails unknown, only then would I try and sell it as you have it now, but it sounds like it's worth putting the money and effort into getting top dollar out of it.

So what is your ballpark figure you're trying to get out of it, you might find a buyer right here willing to buy "as is" if everything you say checks out.
+1 need to get rid of all the cheap stuff

Man I wish you had this posted on CL about 2 months ago! I would have bought it in a heartbeat!!! :( You havent gotten any bites on your CL listing?

I know there are a few Mustang Clubs in MD. You might want to find their forms and let them know the car is for sale.

Here are some!

http://www.mustangclubofmd.com/

http://www.somdmustang.org/

Thanks. All is legit. Have the original hub caps even. The problem of removing all that stuff is going to be for the next owner. I wouldn't be getting rid of it if I had another option. As to price $9000 would make me very happy and is hopefully realistic.

Thanks. All is legit. Have the original hub cabs. The problem of removing all that stuff is going to be for the next owner. I wouldn't be getting rid of it if I had another option. As to price $9000 would make me very happy and is hopefully realistic.

Last edited by a moderator:
On the other hand, all the old add-on's that your father added to give the car his personal touch back in the day adds to the authenticity of the original condition and period correct add-on's which may make it appealing as a time-capsule find. I'm sure you are tempting a lot of members here, including me.

Ole Pony,

The goal is to get it into the hands of people like the members here. Because it will really take a lot of the stress out of this for me knowing its going to someone who loves these cars.

Yep if only I had an extra 9 grand laying around. Wife says emergency fund is more important :( good luck with sale though if your in a hurry to unload the car I think you aren't going to receive top dollar but we understand the circumstances.

From experience... Your wife is right. Haha!

Please take MANY photos of all unmolested areas in the engine bay, especially decals. The emission decal on the cowl or valve cover is pretty important as we try to verify aftermarket parts.

Good luck to you.

Hi John,

I'm also in Maryland, near D.C. and 9K seems alittle low in this area but the dent may limit the interset. I do agree about repairing the dent and that would raise the price and inerest. Only owner also increases value and rust free is a major plus. I've been in Maryland for 50 years and not alot of 71-73's on the road. If had no dent would start at 12K

Good Luck

Alan L

I would think NO DENT and original paint with no rust would be an outstanding find, as long as the original drivetrain is in tack.

Not sure what to make of the side pipes....surprised I have any skin on the back of my leg from the few rides I had in such cars.

DataPlate.jpgIMG_4733.jpgDue to family situation there's no money to spend to make it perfect.

All parts are original, I'll try to get the pics inside the engine you asked about. I did take a few more photos how ever and will include them.

Drive train and powerplant are the originals. Will dig out the old hub caps and rims, and the original AM radio as well to get a picture of. Even has original spare tire.

Mileage.jpg

front2.jpg

IMG_4724.jpg

insdieBackSeats2.jpg

Good luck on the sale, your asking price sounds reasonable to me and I love that color of green, on our cars. I understand you don't have the money to invest in getting it back in shape but you're reaching out to the right people and word will spred, you'll sell it. You're offering more than many of us started out with...as it sits.

Jim

oh, interestingly enough the jumper cables weren't to jump the mustang, it cranks right up. They're there to jump my wife's Dodge Dakota. Just wanted to point that out when I noticed them in the pics.

I just saw your ad on Craigslist! I would say the reason it isn't selling RIGHT away is partly due to the rust and dirt in the engine compartment. Also the dent and the aftermarket stuff makes it look heavy. How are the floorpans? I know that area there is a lot of moisture and as a general rule, cars from the East coast have rust issues.

Get Rid of the Yankees license plate frame, keep it neutral. Plus what everyone else mentioned.

Back