Aftermarket steering wheel, Scott Drake

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Arno

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Have a 71 Mach 1 and am looking to add an aftermarket steering wheel. Went to CJ Pony Parts and ordered the 6 bolt Scott Drake kit. Needless to say the horn contacts don't match up causing a short and blown fuse. Been working with SD for the last month to resolve the problem. They say my switch is the same as a 70's switch and should work fine. Doesn't, and they aren't sure if it actually fits a 71 cause they don't have one. So, are the switches the same and has anyone used a Scott Drake steering wheel and hub?

Thanks in advance

I bought a wheel for a temporary fix till i get a NOS. I used Mota Lita and it works perfectly. Pic added has not had centre cap fitted yet. When i get chance will take pic of finished wheel. The centre cap has the Mach 1 Pony emblem and looks good.

The one i bought is "Mark Three Cobra Style"

https://www.moto-lita.co.uk/steering-wheels/?filters=308

20160722_173053.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know if the 70 and 71 signal switches are the same ?

1970-1972 Mustang's used the same turn signal switches. There were two different switches used depending on tilt/non tilt application. The 73 switch was a one year deal for the Mustang although it was used on other Ford lines. Hope you get this sorted out with Scott Drake.

I went with a Grant Classic from National Parts Depot (NPD) for about $130. You'll also need a Grant custom wheel mounting kit, but otherwise the kit pretty much doesn't care what kind of horn switch you have - it has 2 copper rings that touch the horn button plungers. It's a universal mounting kit for '65-'73 Mustangs as well.

attachment.php

Hope that helps.

The Scott Drake has two copper rings as well, however they are spaced wrong for my 71, thus the short. They claim it's made for a 70-72, but have never actually tried it on a 71. Obviously I could have a non stock switch but it certainly looks like an original.

Arno, if your turn signal switch is genuine Ford (came in the car new or is a Ford service part) it should have a tape with the engineering number on it. If you can find it I can cross reference it and see if the right part number comes up for your application. Over the past 40+ years a lot of "That's close enough" parts have been installed on these and many other vehicles!

s-l1600 (1).jpg

Back