Alternator brackets for 1972 Mustang 302

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973grandeklar

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V
1972 Mustang 'Q' code Mach 1
These are the alternator brackets that I got:

alternator brackets.JPG

Are these correct for 1972? Does anyone have a picture of how they go on? What is the length of the spacer?

I think this one is a little short as the installation seemed to have a bunch of extra washers in it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Anyone know the spacer thickness? I put it on and I seem to have a gap. I could try and tighten it up to pull the top bracket in, but the pulleys seem to line up when I eyeball them. Is the spacer available seperate?

Grab a piece of steel tubing of similar size at Lowe's and cut to length, give it a shot of black spray paint-there is nothing special about a spacer. Otherwise reuse the washers. Pulley alignment is very important. If a concours restoration, then you'll need a different spacer-otherwise a cheap piece of tubing works great

Do you have to run the stock brackets and alternator? The Fox 5.0 Mustang brackets and accessories bolt right on and using a 3G alternator provides a significant upgrade.

No I do not have to run stock brackets. However, I am doing this as cheap as possible so I am trying to just use what I already have. This is for a 1972 Mustang that my son and I are only trying to get back together and running. Cheap and low cost is the preferred method right now. After we get the car running and driven for about a year, then we will start a restomod.

Thanks for the tip on the steel tube Jeff. And thanks for the alternator upgrade idea Mesozoic. Do you know what years Fox 5.0 Mustang I should be on the look out for? We like to tour junkyards and if I spot something, like to grab what I need.

Heres a picture of how the brackets go..you don't even need a piece of tubing..Lowes has the spacers in the picture...in the hardware cabinets

IMG_0097.JPGIMG_0098.JPGIMG_0099.JPG

My local Ace Hardware has some nice spacers too, out of various materials, including steel and aluminum, in various DOM.

As for where to source the alternator, you'll want to do some research before purchasing one as there are many different housings and mounting points available for the 3G alternator. Stock 5.0 aluminum bracketry can be found inexpensively in junkyards and can be made to look like new with a little tumble in a deburring machine. The serpentine upgrade with automatic tensioning is really worthwhile.

Got the brackets cleaned and painted. Here is how they mount up on this motor with the original alternator:

engine21.JPG

And this is what the small triangle bracket does next to the heads:

engine22.JPG

Hope this helps anyone else trying to install alternator.

My 351 doesn't use the little triangle bracket, so I wasn't sure about that-very good information and it looks nice
Yes, I did not clearly state that this motor is a 302. I do have a 351W from a 1969 Mustang that I will be working on next. It appears I will have to use different brackets for that motor.

Got the brackets cleaned and painted. Here is how they mount up on this motor with the original alternator:

And this is what the small triangle bracket does next to the heads:

Hope this helps anyone else trying to install alternator.
Really good info, I ran into this problem this weekend

Hello 1973grandeklar,

I'm installing a 72 302 in a 65 mustang and need these exact brackets. What are they off of and anybody knows where to get them.

Thanks Jim

Back