alternator help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 mustang fastback grabber lime

2011 fusion sport
i just purchased a new alternator and alternator wiring harness but got no instructions can someone help me out just dont want to hook it up wrong i got the harness threw ky mustang and all they could tell me is i could buy a book from them for $14.95..this is the harness i got

WALT7A.jpg

WALT7A.jpg

Blue Circle: Battery post of alternator

Yellow Circle: field post of alternator

Red Circle: Battery terminal of starter solenoid

Black Circle: 12v power supply connector

Pink Circle: voltage regulator plug

Green Circle: Not exactly sure, either electric choke heater or ammeter power wire.

Hope this helps

Last edited by a moderator:
Not a problem, I just replaced this on my brother's truck and they are quite similar. Glad I could help.

KY Mustang seems helpful! Buy more! Nice advice. ):

Can't remember which one's which at the moment, but either the black circle or green circle goes to the radio noise suppressor. It's a small little cylinder thing. If Jayson is right about the black one, it must be the pink?

I do know one of those wires on mine is not hooked up.

Can't remember which one's which at the moment, but either the black circle or green circle goes to the radio noise suppressor. It's a small little cylinder thing. If Jayson is right about the black one, it must be the pink?

I do know one of those wires on mine is not hooked up.
I looked it up in my factory manual and according to it what I said was correct. This is for 73 with guages, 71 and 72 could be different.

Black Circle: 12v power connects to the battery, eventually

Pink Circle: voltage regulator plug

Green Circle: goes to ignition switch then ammeter

Where does it show a radio supressor/capactor go then?

My 73 came with guages but they have been replaced with Autometer. I do know I have a very original looking noise suppressor connected to one of those wires:) It has the ford part number on it too d2aa-18832-aa.

Greg

Sorry it doesn't say in the manual, surprisingly. I'll check my car, not saying it's right just how I have it wired.

On my car the yellow wire (black circle) is connected to the noise suppressor.

Back