Alternator replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JJHStang

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Ford Mustang Mach 1
[url=https://ibb.co/b33Pn4f][img]https://i.ibb.co/6ZZm5Kd/20190723-095138-1.jpg[/img][/url]

[url=https://freeonlinedice.com/]black and red dice[/url]
My alternator went out on my 71 Mustang Mach 1.
The engine is currently a 351 Windsor 4 bbl carb. Originally came out of the plant with a 302 2 bbl with AC.
I bought it with the 351 and it had a 2 bbl with adapter. I had the adapter removed and got a 4 bbl from Summit racing.
The alternator on it that went bad is a Bestest 01-0155X with a number 73006103.
I would like to find the correct replacement. I think I found the exact one at O’Oriellys for approximately $69.

Looking for thoughts, suggestions and advice.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpeg
    IMG_1391.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1389.jpeg
    IMG_1389.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
Just get a replacement 55-amp alternator for a 71 Mustang with either a 302 or 351. They use the same part number and will fit your 351W.
Thanks.
I just bought a rebuilt at Autozone, Duralast 65 amp. Not the best but lifetime warranty.
Looks like fairly straightforward removal and replacement other than how to put tension on the belt after installing the new alternator.
I can’t see anywhere I can find to get any leverage with a bar or pipe. I can get my left hand with plenty of room to ull back and up while tightening the lower bolt on the slide bracket.
Any suggestions or tricks?

Attachments

• IMG_1407.jpeg
    IMG_1407.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_1406.jpeg
    IMG_1406.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
Be sure to disconnect your battery before you begin. Be careful not to lose the spacer on the top bolt. You should be able to pull it tight enough with your one hand. You don't want to over tighten it and put too much load on the bearings.

Thanks.
I just bought a rebuilt at Autozone, Duralast 65 amp. Not the best but lifetime warranty.
Looks like fairly straightforward removal and replacement other than how to put tension on the belt after installing the new alternator.
I can’t see anywhere I can find to get any leverage with a bar or pipe. I can get my left hand with plenty of room to ull back and up while tightening the lower bolt on the slide bracket.
Any suggestions or tricks?
Lynda (Mustang Chick & wife) came up with a clever approach in applying muscle to get a belt tight for a hard to reach accessory. To help me put tension on a power steering pump, and later an alternator, whe brought over a few feet of nylon rope. I (after listening to her) looped the rope around the pump (later alternator also) and pulled hard. While pulling I was able to tighten the appropriate tightening bolt. It worked perfectly.

Lynda (Mustang Chick & wife) came up with a clever approach in applying muscle to get a belt tight for a hard to reach accessory. To help me put tension on a power steering pump, and later an alternator, whe brought over a few feet of nylon rope. I (after listening to her) looped the rope around the pump (later alternator also) and pulled hard. While pulling I was able to tighten the appropriate tightening bolt. It worked perfectly.
In some of the tools my Dad left me there is part of a leaf spring. Perfect to slide in between the alternator case and the pivot bolt.

Push on the leaf and tighten the lower bolt.

Back