Noob 15 year old restoring 1972 Mustang

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang coupe base 302 automatic
Hey so I’ve always wanted an old Mustang, like it’s always been my dream and I finally bought one a week ago, it runs alright but it’s super rusty and needs a fair amount of work in every aspect, but the good news is it runs. I’ve build a makeshift shop out of a 10-20 ft tent (room for the resto will be cramped) and I bought the basic tools I’ll need. I have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to what does what and what to look out for, but for the most part I’m here to learn as I go and fun doing it, wish me blessings on this.

I’m planning on pulling the engine today on my 1972 Mustang and maybe the trans too, I know what most things are but just to clarify, the 2 hoses coming out of the fire wall are vacuum lines right? Also if you have any tips for engine removal and even some storage tips so it doesn’t rust while it’s sitting, that would be awesome.

Thank you! Is that something that I have to clean off when I put the engine back in or will the engine run even if that coating is still on the inside?

I would suggest, if it runs, don’t tear it apart just yet….do some short safe test drives, determine what works, what’s broke, what’s missing, make a plan, make a budget, double the budget.

Do small repairs to make it safe and reliable, Brakes first, cooling, fuel, engine reliability, drivetrain, fluids…. Then mechanical bits like gauges, windows, etc, then metal work and body, the paint the interior…it will take years, especially starting at age 15…

But keep it running if you can while you work on it so you can enjoy it and keep your motivation. Enjoy it!!

Hey so I’ve always wanted an old Mustang, like it’s always been my dream and I finally bought one a week ago, it runs alright but it’s super rusty and needs a fair amount of work in every aspect, but the good news is it runs. I’ve build a makeshift shop out of a 10-20 ft tent (room for the resto will be cramped) and I bought the basic tools I’ll need. I have a fair bit of knowledge when it comes to what does what and what to look out for, but for the most part I’m here to learn as I go and fun doing it, wish me blessings on this.
Welcome and I admire you for the project you’re taking on. Although it’s a lot of work it will be well worth it when you finish. And please remember when driving it in the rain or at higher speeds these cars will come around on you fast. I lost one because of that. I’d hate to see you put all that work in and wrap it around something.

Welcome to the group. I agree with keeping it running. Fix what really is needed to drive it safely. If you take the engine out and you get bogged down it's harder to move, store, or even sell. For sure you'll want to drive it for some enjoyment. I did @ 16!!!

Last edited:
Welcome from So Cal. I agree with what others have said; don’t make it a jack stand queen. First, make a plan or outline to bring the car up to snuff. First things are always whoa before you deal with the go. Good brakes, suspension, steering, lights, etc. I got a 1962 Corvair from a neighbor when I was 15 and it was the reason I’m still into cars, some 52 years later. Good luck and ask lots of questions here: this site has some of the finest and patient craftsman I’ve ever seen (not me).

Thank you for the advice and the encouragement! I’m excited to see where this project goes (even if I lose my mind on a head bolt that needs drilling out) as much as I want to work my way along different projects and enjoy it along the way, it would be like putting lip stick on a pig the way the rust is on this car, and I still have 2 years before I get my license (at least) so I plan to take it all apart and get it to where I’m not afraid my foot (or my chair quite frankly) won’t fall through the floor. I also am a slight perfectionist, so looking at unfinished projects would bug me more then the enjoyment I’d get from driving it (that’s just a me thing) I’ll keep updating my progress, and thank you for the help!

Welcome to the site. As for the two hoses from the firewall, you might be talking about the heater hoses, if they go from the front of the engine to the right side of the firewall. They circulate water through the heater core behind the dash.

I agree with everyone, keep it running, work on drivability, brakes, steering, etc. then you will know what is good and what’s not. Before you start disassembling everything, take lots of pictures so you know how everything looked when it was together. Also, store your parts in baggies, box’s, tag the large parts, it will help when it’s time to put things together. You’ll also want to have a place to store everything so nothing gets lost. The rust repair will be the hard work. If you don’t have welding skills, I recommend taking welding classes. You’ll need tools to cut metal and measuring tools too. The good news is you have the internet available, tons of information, some good and some not so good. If you have questions, ASK!
Good luck and no matter how tough it gets, remember to have fun!

At 15, you have an advantage that many of us never had - the internet - with information at your fingertips, anytime, anywhere. Leverage that to your advantage. Take lots of pictures, tag them and drop them into albums on your favorite cloud storage service. Take pics of everything, you never know what you'll need. Collect any information you can, organize it and categorize it.

Some items that'll be worth 1000x what you paid for them...

https://www.npdlink.com/product/cd-...971-1973-6-volume-set/213000/203293?year=1972

https://www.npdlink.com/product/sho...ar-on-usb-flash-drive/144934/202973?year=1972

https://www.npdlink.com/product/for...72-on-usb-flash-drive/144044/202976?year=1972

Welcome from San Diego.

Take a lot of pics before you take anything apart you will need them later. Don't throw anything away till your past that point in your build. Try to keep the project moving by working small parts that don't coast money just elbow grease. Check out build projects on this forum for inspiration and ideas. Good luck we will be watching!

Like HemiKiller said, you have the advantage of having the Internet, whereas most of us began our Mustang journey back in the dark ages when a dealership with a microfiche machine was high tech as compared to the folks who still used huge racks of paper catalogs to look up parts. And at our dealership the way information was disseminated through factory training, "kind of" with shop manuals (often containing incomplete information), or through monthly Technical Service Bulletins we would receive that would include some fairly useful information at times. But, nothing like what the Internet has made available to us.

Another advantage you have is a camera you can use without running out of file, or having to take film to a developer who would process the film for you - and you would get the pictures back within a week or so. So, I agree with the earlier comments. Take lots of photos BEFORE you begin to tear things apart. If it ain't broke, don't fix it - it is valid in general, but enhancing a component is fair game. Don;t go tearing off emission control equipment until you first understand what the system at hand is designed to do, and how it gets done. Some emission control systems aare benign, and others are actually helpful (PCV Valve, Fuel Vapor Recovery Systems, Thermal Vacuum Switches).

And you really need to start building a library of documentation. Most of my core manuals are from Forel Publishing. Here is a link to their site, where you can pick a model year, then purchase and download your manuals in PDF file format The pricing is quite reasonable. https://www.forelpublishing.com/clickbank/index.html.

Prior to 1973 Ford did not provide amy really useful emission control or engine vacuum line routing information, and before 1972 their electrical schematics were lavking the kind of detail that 72 & 73 electical schematics have. I would begin with a 1972 color electical schematic manual, a 1972 shop manual, and a 1973 Parts and Accessory catalog (this particular manuals covers from 1964 - 1973, so 1972 parts are in it). and a 1973 shap manual. The reason for the 1973 shop manual is because the 1972 manual has no useful information on emission control systems (nor do the prior year manuals). But the 1973 shop manual has a lot of very useful information that is largely the same as you have with your 1972 Mustang.

The Mustang Barn put together a collection of engine vacuum line schematics, and made them available for no fee. I, with their permission, assembled their files into a master file grouped by year, then sorted by engine. They did a nice job. You can download the file from my Google Drive at:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YZJwYFyd7aIx8xM_hjOaowbVCi4yqgnP/view?usp=drive_link

Please take progress photos, and post your journey once in a while. If you have any questions or concerns, you have come to the right place. We have lots of really qualified and highly experienced Mustang folks in his forum.

Last edited:
I'll second what was mentioned earlier bud. If it runs, just focus on keeping her running, keeping it safe and maintained, and at your age, take your time and enjoy it. There will be an urge to "get everything done right away" but trust me, you'll want to enjoy the journey and when that thing is built the way you want it to be, you'll be glad you focused on maintaining the core and enjoying the drives. Good luck!

Back