Am I right or Am I Wrong?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 Completed
1972 Mach 1 Future Project
1972 Mach 1 Doner Parts Car
1973 302 Current Project
I told a fellow 1971 Mustang owner that his spoiler was mounted on backwards and he said I was wrong. He said lots of cars has it mounted this way and after searching the net, he was right. I saw several that had it mounted his way and so I no longer pushed the issue. Although, I believe, my way is still the correct way. I have it mounted with the sharp edge facing the rear. How do you have yours mounted? I've seen questions on "how to mount the rear spoiler" before with 1970 and 7173 owners, so it might be a good time to get an experts confirmation. I can't confirm this cause mine has been removed a few times and I've NEVER seen a 7173 that was brand spanken new off the show room floor. I'm no expert, but I'm 99.9% sure I have mine mounted correctly :D

Good question...I'm not 100% sure how it should be either! I can't tell myself...what do you guys think?

1_09_08_10_3_09_57.jpeg

Good question...I'm not 100% sure how it should be either! I can't tell myself...what do you guys think?

1_09_08_10_3_09_57.jpeg
That looks correct to me! Just got back from a friends house where he has a reproduction spoiler and its has a rough and textured finish and the thinner sharp edge is twice as large. Didn't know it was a reproduction till he pointed it out. Just thought it was painted wrong or something :D

that spoiler was actually used on mopars also. the difference was how high it was. I have the mopar brackets on mine so it doesn't hug the rear as much.
I believe the guy also had the same mounting brackets. Are these direct fit or will you need to drill or widen the holes? Looks good.

Last edited by a moderator:

1_09_08_10_3_09_57.jpeg
That looks correct to me! Just got back from a friends house where he has a reproduction spoiler and its has a rough and textured finish and the thinner sharp edge is twice as large. Didn't know it was a reproduction till he pointed it out. Just thought it was painted wrong or something :D

that spoiler was actually used on mopars also. the difference was how high it was. I have the mopar brackets on mine so it doesn't hug the rear as much.
I believe the guy also had the same mounting brackets. Are these direct fit or will you need to drill or widen the holes? Looks good.
couldn't tell you. the spoiler was on the car when I bought it

Mopar spoilers have different center to center measurements and overall spolier width is slightly different, very close though.

even 69 - 70 were different than 71 - 73's

69 - 70 - 57 3/4 wide , mounts C to C 35 3/4 about 4 " tall

71-3 - 58 1/2 wide , mounts C to C were 33 about 2 1/2 " tall

Don

It's very interesting that the one diagram shows the spoiler split in two. Mine (original, not reproduction) would not do that.

It's very interesting that the one diagram shows the spoiler split in two. Mine (original, not reproduction) would not do that.
When i got my Mach i did not notice the spoiler, and it was on backwards and once i got into triple digits on speedo mine split in half on its own
Photo-0027.jpg
Photo-0025.jpg

Ok guys I'm the one that he was talking about.I would like to thank FASTnNEFARIOUS for telling me about this site. I didn't know it was here. No worry about the big gun. LOL . I was also looking at my parts car that has never been messed with or repainted so the spoiler is factory installed on it. It is also pointed the same way. Now looking at the link posted here in thier discription it says that the trimmed off edges are towards the rear. Now in the diagram showing how to put the spoiler together it shows the trimmed off edges towards the front. I guess my queation is are you talking about the spoiler it's self or the mounts that it sits on ? I did notice mine is a little higher than other I have seen. Here is a pic of the parts car and also my car the way it sits.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Burmman WOW! That looks like a solid parts car and I would love to have that rear louver. The spoiler on the parts car appears to be the Ford correct mount and spoiler. Both mount and spoiler assembly is mounted on backwards, so just unscrew the 4 nuts under the trunk lid and turn the complete spoiler assembly around. That would be the correct way according to that website.

When i got my Mach i did not notice the spoiler, and it was on backwards and once i got into triple digits on speedo mine split in half on its own
Photo-0027.jpg
Photo-0025.jpg
OUCH! I had no idea they were two pieces like that. Looking at that picture makes you want to put straps around the spoiler LOL!

Burmman WOW! That looks like a solid parts car and I would love to have that rear louver. The spoiler on the parts car appears to be the Ford correct mount and spoiler. Both mount and spoiler assembly is mounted on backwards,
I agree with FTN, those were mounted backwards. Long, angled end is to rear. Similar to a "Mustang" aircraft wing, btw...

Photo-0027.jpg
Photo-0025.jpg
I think I'll keep to the double digits....LOL. Do you think your spoiler failure was relate to being mounted backwards - could that have created some serious turbulence and/or found a weakness (i.e. opening in a seam) that forced the split?

One other observation; I've always figured the rear edge was to align with the back edge of the trunk.

Photo-0027.jpg
Photo-0025.jpg
I think I'll keep to the double digits....LOL. Do you think your spoiler failure was relate to being mounted backwards - could that have created some serious turbulence and/or found a weakness (i.e. opening in a seam) that forced the split?

One other observation; I've always figured the rear edge was to align with the back edge of the trunk.
Well my buddy thought his chevy truck could out run me and as he was behind me the entire time he said that the spoiler started to shake real bad and then blew apart, I have ordered another spoiler but the holes do not line up and i was thinking what you said about lining up on the back of trunk. But it is taking me a bit of work to get this spoiler in decent shape to put on ( and it is a new one )

Ok guys I'm the one that he was talking about.I would like to thank FASTnNEFARIOUS for telling me about this site. I didn't know it was here. No worry about the big gun. LOL . I was also looking at my parts car that has never been messed with or repainted so the spoiler is factory installed on it. It is also pointed the same way. Now looking at the link posted here in thier discription it says that the trimmed off edges are towards the rear. Now in the diagram showing how to put the spoiler together it shows the trimmed off edges towards the front. I guess my queation is are you talking about the spoiler it's self or the mounts that it sits on ? I did notice mine is a little higher than other I have seen. Here is a pic of the parts car and also my car the way it sits.

Do you have the Marty report showing the spoiler came from the factory. The dealer more than likely installed the spoiler. The spoiler is on backwards on your parts car.

Yep, The spoiler is on backwards on the parts car and you'll find a great many on backwards on other 71-73 Mustangs. I'm the second owner of mine and I know the Lady I bought it from bought it new.

Back