Another blow to manufacturing in Au.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
Just heard on the radio this morning that Holden will also cease manufacturing here in Au by 2016.

The sources are accurate but still unofficial by Holden. Their official reply today was "no comment".

With Ford also closing in 2016, we've basically become uncompetitive with big manufacturing.

So much for the lucky country!

As those in the industry know, the workers at Ford and Holden are only a small percentage of those who will ultimately be out of work.

It is the many thousands of tier 1 and tier 2 suppliers to Ford and Holden who worry me more as they may not be looked after as well with a package as many of the smaller suppliers will liquidate... I've been there and it sucks...

Yes Jim,

Another sad day for Australia with this news.

There is of course more than one reason that has eventually caused this situation to happen, but i will stand by the fact that Australians have developed a love affair with all types of imported vehicles over the last couple of decades, and that has very much robbed Ford and Holden of any viable decent share of the Australian consumer car market anymore.

Many thousands upon thousands of vehicles are imported every year. I would love to know what the exact official statistic is in that regard.In this regard, Australians have contributed to killing off these local manufacturing companies.

This will have a fair dent with unemployment going up for sure, as there will be many workers who will find it very hard to find other jobs as well.

Is it any wonder then, that they've gone down the gurgler!:(

Greg.:-/

I have a Holden and a Ford, so you can thank us American's for keeping them afloat for you:)

I am also planning on buying "the last of the v8s":):) Just before they stop making them altogether. But I love Utes so it has to be a 2014 FPV GS as this is the end of the Ford Ute.

Greg

Funny, as an american it seems more like it is our fault. Ford may be a worldwide company, but it is still american, and if closing the Australian division allows them to ramp up american manufacturing and exports and boost the economy here at your expense, that seems to be the way business is done. Holden's ties to GM are likely contributing to the same pattern.

Hi Jeff,

You make a good point there,but i think there are two important things to keep in mind here. Australians are to blame here for not supporting their local Sherrif so to speak, and not buying enough Ford and GM cars to keep the local companies in business.Believe me, we LOVE, LOVE, LOVE our impoted vehicles here, and can't get enough of them!!

Even though Australian taxpayers have been propping up Ford and GM for many years to keep them in business here, can you blame them for eventually pulling out from manufacturing here, when they're making all these cars here, and they're not selling enough anymore locally to keep the doors open! Jesus, we are now even importing bloody cars from India!! Ford and GM have been dying a slow death here in Australia for several years.

Firstly. Ford and GM being American companies,and operating in Australia for so many years, have given Australians the advantage of owning locally designed and produced cars that have been purpose deigned and built for Australian road and climate conditions, at affordable prices, and have proven to be reliable and of good quality.(Althought traditionally not as big, swanky and stylish,as our American cousin's cars.:))

Secondly, the two car companies themselves,and all the affiliated smaller companies associated with manufacturing, producing and supplying all manner of parts to the big two, have over the decades, been responsible for providing many thousands of jobs and careers for Australians.

Sure, a percntage of profits have always leaked back to America, but the two areas i've pointed out above have meant good things for Australians over the decades. Idealy, it would be great to have an all Australian fully owned car company here, but that has only been a dream.

In an overall sense, i think that any country that becomes imbalanced by importing too many imported goods and products, as adversed to manufacturing and producing locally, and becomes very reliant on all that imported stuff, will eventually find itself in a precarious situation which won't be good at all for that country.

Greg.:(

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess that is the reason that if I can spend my money on people I know as opposed to the larger cheaper chains, I do. Corporation decision makers IMHO should maybe take note of that and remember whos back their profits are built off of.

Greg, speaking of corporate meltdowns, the Qantas shares were frozen on the stock exchange yesterday... I think another big kangaroo may be heading like the dodo. 300m loss for the year and a billion dollar loss overall.

I guess that is the reason that if I can spend my money on people I know as opposed to the larger cheaper chains, I do. Corporation decision makers IMHO should maybe take note of that and remember whos back their profits are built off of.
Hi Mark,

Good point, but take our '71-'73 Mustangs parts situation for example; how much of these parts are made in overseas Asian countries instead of America? It's very hard to escape the reliance and dominance of imported products these days, as so many goods and products have been imported into our countries over the years.

You are now driving what was an all American lovely classic American car now with asian parts on it.

Companies seek out these asian countries to produce goods because of their cheap labor markets.How can American and Australian companies compete with our existing labor setups and costs!

Greg, speaking of corporate meltdowns, the Qantas shares were frozen on the stock exchange yesterday... I think another big kangaroo may be heading like the dodo. 300m loss for the year and a billion dollar loss overall.
Yeah Jim,

Another very sad story there for sure.I wonder has it got anything to do with recent management at all?:mad::dodgy::dodgy:

Good old Richard Branson must be licking his lips!

Hi Greg,

Yes, i suppose we should thank you in this instance, and being an American man as well!:)

Greg.:)

Didn't you guys produce Rupert Murdoch and export him to Great Britain and the US?

Didn't you guys produce Rupert Murdoch and export him to Great Britain and the US?
Lol our country was started by the old world exporting ruthless crims to our shores. It's only fair we return the favour once in a while:p.

We do love our imports so kinda our fault. Also Ford/Holden not being able to match build quality and price of imports. Or at least that is the common perception. I hate that they are shutting down. For those of us that will continue to need a V8 looks like imports win again SRT8 300 core more power and cheaper than the local V8 heroes. Ford/GM lose again bummer

Ford assembly plant Belgium - Genk

Also close end 2014 (built Mondeo / S-Max / Galaxy)

For me NOT so a good slogan.

Family of 4 with 4 Ford vehicles, Ford pushes on the delete button.

Yeah, shit happens ...

:(

I have a Holden and a Ford, so you can thank us American's for keeping them afloat for you:)

I am also planning on buying "the last of the v8s":):) Just before they stop making them altogether. But I love Utes so it has to be a 2014 FPV GS as this is the end of the Ford Ute.

Greg
How do you pull that one off? Paint one half of the driveway blue, the other red?:D

It's really sad, I've always regarded AU as the last vestige of HP. The reality of it is that US car manufacturer has a big uphill battle to stay alive. The majority of "kids" do not identify with them. Why? They really do not make a quality product. They sufficiently last he 4 years most people keep their cars, not the 10, 15 , 30 years like people in forums like this. Current Pop culture elevates run of the mill throw away cars into high hp race cars! just add large tach and wing, and fart can! I see time and time again over glorification of these cars. Which normally cannot go beyond 100k. Sure I see a few, but not many. Usually they complain about Fords, hate them etc. Cannot even count the times I've had Taurus's that are well above 2 and 300k that just need a tune up. Loose their turbo's and awd and they can barely pull their own weight. Of wait they get good gas mileage? Hell my 74 stangs with a 2.3 and a carb does better than almost all produced today. Affording the quality vehicles become the problem. Why spend 30K to 50K when they can spend significantly less, and have more money for latte's and pS3/Xbox while living at their parents house.

It's really sad, I've always regarded AU as the last vestige of HP. The reality of it is that US car manufacturer has a big uphill battle to stay alive. The majority of "kids" do not identify with them. Why? They really do not make a quality product. They sufficiently last he 4 years most people keep their cars, not the 10, 15 , 30 years like people in forums like this. Current Pop culture elevates run of the mill throw away cars into high hp race cars! just add large tach and wing, and fart can! I see time and time again over glorification of these cars. Which normally cannot go beyond 100k. Sure I see a few, but not many. Usually they complain about Fords, hate them etc. Cannot even count the times I've had Taurus's that are well above 2 and 300k that just need a tune up. Loose their turbo's and awd and they can barely pull their own weight. Of wait they get good gas mileage? Hell my 74 stangs with a 2.3 and a carb does better than almost all produced today. Affording the quality vehicles become the problem. Why spend 30K to 50K when they can spend significantly less, and have more money for latte's and pS3/Xbox while living at their parents house.
Now that's an interesting point of view.

Ford assembly plant Belgium - Genk

Also close end 2014 (built Mondeo / S-Max / Galaxy)

For me NOT so a good slogan.

Family of 4 with 4 Ford vehicles, Ford pushes on the delete button.

Yeah, shit happens ...

:(
Sorry about that Eddy,

Doesn't sound good for you guys a well.

Hi Mark,

Good point, but take our '71-'73 Mustangs parts situation for example; how much of these parts are made in overseas Asian countries instead of America? It's very hard to escape the reliance and dominance of imported products these days, as so many goods and products have been imported into our countries over the years.

You are now driving what was an all American lovely classic American car now with asian parts on it.

Companies seek out these asian countries to produce goods because of their cheap labor markets.How can American and Australian companies compete with our existing labor setups and costs!

Yeah Jim,

Another very sad story there for sure.I wonder has it got anything to do with recent management at all?:mad::dodgy::dodgy:

Good old Richard Branson must be licking his lips!

Hi Greg,

Yes, i suppose we should thank you in this instance, and being an American man as well!:)

Really, really pisses me off that I cannot get North American sheet metal! So sick of cheap crappy CHICOM parts/products. People really don't get how the outsourcing for profit kills economies of the host nation. Their manufacturing bubble wont last the decade. The companies will find another entity to undercut them.

Back