Another Parts Gathering Trip

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Multiple Mustangs!
I am beat just drove over 1,700 miles since Friday feel like a truck driver, lol. I had found another one of the Towne Top removable hard tops for 1964 1/2 - 68 mustang and it was in Ohio. So as usual when I have to make one of these trips I get on craigslist and eBay and see what is out there. I also went by visited with Forum member Dave Farrow, Cobra 2572 and he was nice enough to let me overnight with him. His wife keeps such a clean and neat house, mine is such a mess, lol. Dave is working on the Mach 1 that looks like is low miles just sat in barn. It was in the frame shop so I did not see the car. We did open up the 4 speed and no rust or moisture at all and has sat since the 80's in North Carolina. Looks like the gear box just needs a good cleaning and wash out the old grease and put it back in. You could still even read the rubber stamp marks on the case.

Dave has a beautiful yellow 2001 4 cammer Cobra convertible, beautiful car. I saw some video of him doing previous restorations so the Forum will get to see some great work on the Mustang. He knows what he is doing in the body shop.

My journey started in Hendersonville, NC and my first stop at 3:00 was in Oxford N.C. to visit Scotty Strickland. DO NOT GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM ABOUT BUYING A CAR. HE HAS NO CARS FOR SALE ONLY PARTS. He is in his early 40's and works a full time third shift job also. He has an all Ford, mostly Mustang salvage business. I will post some pictures later of what is sitting there. I needed a 1973 convertible wire harness with tach, center gages, air. He said he had one and we went to a shipping container. Inside were plastic bins with labels on each one of what was inside. He found the right one and inside were several wire harnesses in separate plastic bags also labeled. I go everything from parking lights, engine and all under dash with NO cuts or splices. It included the Door speakers also and the rubber boots, HURRAY. Midlife this was your dream place for wires. Not cheap but well kept and still had the Ford tags on them. He was loading a Maverick, one owner, with 52,000 miles on the guys trailer from New York when I got there so I went around and explored on my own. There were 69 & 70 Mach ones, convertibles, Torino GT's 66 Fairlane GTA 390, Cougars, engines of all types. There are lots of great interior Mach 1 panels, Grande parts. Good grain and no speaker holes, NO CONVERTIBLE REAR PANELS. He has lots of parts off in sheds and probably 12 - 15 71-73 cars still on the ground. He had two pairs of A post covers for vert not a crack, split or missing nothing. More than I wanted to pay. There were several buildings and when they got the car loaded he said come look at this. He opened up a building and pulled a cover off one of the probably 12 cars in there. He opened the hood and asked do you know what that is? I took a look and said it is a Tunnel Port 427. It was. It shook the ground when he fired it up, got a short video on phone. The Marti said it was a 428 CJ car originally but he put the tunnel port in for fun. It was not one of his ground up restorations. Another car next to it was looking great in assembly. I cannot tell you what he pays for his restorations but is is about 1/3 of what most pay per hour and they are perfect. He is doing a 428 CJ Mach 1 right now that I have been watching on his Face Book page. He has a daily driver red 1972 Mach 1 with 4 speed and power windows great car.

He lives in a mobile home but has probably a couple million in cars and projects, lol. He has his priorities in order.

I also got a set of flat spring hinges from him and he does have more.

After leaving Dave Farrow I went to Delaware to another members home I will not name for now. I got a great flat hood and a Ford NASA hood from him. He had a beautiful Gold Glow vert with 302 in the garage and working on a 73 Q code with power windows. I could not pass up a deal so I bought his 24' ladder. Had truck and trailer so why not, lol.

I left there and went to Ohio there was still snow drifts on the turnpike in Pennsylvania. Tolls were horrible nearly $100 in all, trailer adds to cost.

I went through, North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Tennessee and back home.

The guy that had the Towne Top in Ohio owned one of the real Dukes of Hazard cars. It has all the papers and signed by Bo and Luke. He didn't want me to take any pictures. He also had an American Motors car and wants a 66 Cyclone that was his first car.

Another stop did not yield any parts. He had just sold a ram air system for $800 with everything there. I saw it he had not came to pick up. He had a 71 Torino 429 CJ car and also two AMC cars and several old tractors. He has a 73 parts car, 72 M code and a 73 Q code.

He had a ram air I could not identify. It is more centered like the 429 ram air but wrong carb and outside diameter. I have some pictures I will need to go through.

The BIG FIND HERE. He has original 1970 and 1971 film strip presentations showing Boss 429, 302 and 351 and other models. He just got them the day before. They are 35 mm and in great shape in film strip form. He would not trust me to take and copy. This will have some great pictures of Factory cars if I can get a copy some way some how. Probably 75 to 100 photos and comparisons to GM and MOPAR.

The drugs worked did not buy a car just lots of parts. Got air conditioner compressor mounts for 64 1/2 with generator, hens teeth. 64 1/2 Toploader for D code, hens teeth. Shifter and 5 bolt bell housing also rare.

Got to sell the parts to pay for my parts and trip.

I now have 3 of the Towne Tops and will sell one. I found the original material to recover the outside and inside.

I am going to bed early but will put some pictures up tomorrow. The film strips are exciting to me for the clear and not copied photos. The old man is going to wind down with a good Seagrams.

David

I am beat just drove over 1,700 miles since Friday feel like a truck driver, lol. I had found another one of the Towne Top removable hard tops for 1964 1/2 - 68 mustang and it was in Ohio. So as usual when I have to make one of these trips I get on craigslist and eBay and see what is out there. I also went by visited with Forum member Dave Farrow, Cobra 2572 and he was nice enough to let me overnight with him. His wife keeps such a clean and neat house, mine is such a mess, lol. Dave is working on the Mach 1 that looks like is low miles just sat in barn. It was in the frame shop so I did not see the car. We did open up the 4 speed and no rust or moisture at all and has sat since the 80's in North Carolina. Looks like the gear box just needs a good cleaning and wash out the old grease and put it back in. You could still even read the rubber stamp marks on the case.

Dave has a beautiful yellow 2001 4 cammer Cobra convertible, beautiful car. I saw some video of him doing previous restorations so the Forum will get to see some great work on the Mustang. He knows what he is doing in the body shop.

My journey started in Hendersonville, NC and my first stop at 3:00 was in Oxford N.C. to visit Scotty Strickland. DO NOT GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM ABOUT BUYING A CAR. HE HAS NO CARS FOR SALE ONLY PARTS. He is in his early 40's and works a full time third shift job also. He has an all Ford, mostly Mustang salvage business. I will post some pictures later of what is sitting there. I needed a 1973 convertible wire harness with tach, center gages, air. He said he had one and we went to a shipping container. Inside were plastic bins with labels on each one of what was inside. He found the right one and inside were several wire harnesses in separate plastic bags also labeled. I go everything from parking lights, engine and all under dash with NO cuts or splices. It included the Door speakers also and the rubber boots, HURRAY. Midlife this was your dream place for wires. Not cheap but well kept and still had the Ford tags on them. He was loading a Maverick, one owner, with 52,000 miles on the guys trailer from New York when I got there so I went around and explored on my own. There were 69 & 70 Mach ones, convertibles, Torino GT's 66 Fairlane GTA 390, Cougars, engines of all types. There are lots of great interior Mach 1 panels, Grandé parts. Good grain and no speaker holes, NO CONVERTIBLE REAR PANELS. He has lots of parts off in sheds and probably 12 - 15 71-73 cars still on the ground. He had two pairs of A post covers for vert not a crack, split or missing nothing. More than I wanted to pay. There were several buildings and when they got the car loaded he said come look at this. He opened up a building and pulled a cover off one of the probably 12 cars in there. He opened the hood and asked do you know what that is? I took a look and said it is a Tunnel Port 427. It was. It shook the ground when he fired it up, got a short video on phone. The Marti said it was a 428 CJ car originally but he put the tunnel port in for fun. It was not one of his ground up restorations. Another car next to it was looking great in assembly. I cannot tell you what he pays for his restorations but is is about 1/3 of what most pay per hour and they are perfect. He is doing a 428 CJ Mach 1 right now that I have been watching on his Face Book page. He has a daily driver red 1972 Mach 1 with 4 speed and power windows great car.

He lives in a mobile home but has probably a couple million in cars and projects, lol. He has his priorities in order.

After leaving Dave Farrow I went to Delaware to another members home I will not name for now. I got a great flat hood and a Ford NASA hood from him. He had a beautiful Gold Glow vert with 302 in the garage and working on a 73 Q code with power windows. I could not pass up a deal so I bought his 24' ladder. Had truck and trailer so why not, lol.

I left there and went to Ohio there was still snow drifts on the turnpike in Pennsylvania. Tolls were horrible nearly $100 in all, trailer adds to cost.

I went through, North Carolina, Virginia, DC, Delaware, Pennsylvania, Ohio, West Virginia, Tennessee and back home.

The guy that had the Towne Top in Ohio owned one of the real Dukes of Hazard cars. It has all the papers and signed by Bo and Luke. He didn't want me to take any pictures. He also had an American Motors car and wants a 66 Cyclone that was his first car.

Another stop did not yield any parts. He had just sold a ram air system for $800 with everything there. I saw it he had not came to pick up. He had a 71 Torino 429 CJ car and also two AMC cars and several old tractors. He has a 73 parts car, 72 M code and a 73 Q code.

He had a ram air I could not identify. It is more centered like the 429 ram air but wrong carb and outside diameter. I have some pictures I will need to go through.

The BIG FIND HERE. He has original 1970 and 1971 film strip presentations showing Boss 429, 302 and 351 and other models. He just got them the day before. They are 35 mm and in great shape in film strip form. He would not trust me to take and copy. This will have some great pictures of Factory cars if I can get a copy some way some how. Probably 75 to 100 photos and comparisons to GM and MOPAR.

The drugs worked did not buy a car just lots of parts. Got air conditioner compressor mounts for 64 1/2 with generator, hens teeth. 64 1/2 Toploader for D code, hens teeth. Shifter and 5 bolt bell housing also rare.

I now have 3 of the Towne Tops and will sell one. I found the original material to recover the outside and inside.

I am going to bed early but will put some pictures up tomorrow. The film strips are exciting to me for the clear and not copied photos. The old man is going to wind down with a good Seagrams.

David
Wow....nice write up. It is amazing how much stuff is still out there not on anyone's radar screen.

Just curious, where in Ohio were you looking, north, east, south, west?

Next time your up this way, give me a yell, I live in north east Ohio. Always nice to share a beer with another 71-73 Mustanger.

Mac

David,

thank you for your exciting story about your road trip! Enjoyed it very much - astonishing how much of our old cars and their parts are still out there searching for a new owner!

Hope you have recovered well and dreamed of many nice Mustang parts ::thumb::

Great story and thanks for sharing. You must REALLY like to drive or your obsession compels you to do it::thumb::. It is also good to hear that I'm not the only one who is looking for a 1966 Cyclone because it was my first hot rod. I sold mine in Cincinnati, Ohio in 1973 (it is a long story). I wonder if the world could really be that small?

Chuck

That sounds like a great trip. Your passion for these cars is incredible! David, another couple of these trips for parts will give you a good excuse to buy another car. lol
No more cars..... Dr. says I will be OK soon.

I just buy the parts to pay for my trip. I was only going to get the Towne Top in Ohio but always look on eBay and craigslist along the route and see if I can pick up some parts to sell to pay for the gas.

I do love to drive. I left here one November and drove in snow from Tenn. through Texas and did not stop execpt for gas until in Albuquerque N.M.. Went to several parks, Disneyland, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Carlsbad caverns, Vegas, Death Valley & Juarez Mexico. I drove straight through from Juarez to home and did all that in 9 days, lol. I took the preachers son that was 15 to help keep me awake but he could not drive. I have done this several times. Driving and good music takes all the stress away.

My longest drive was over 9,000 miles in 21 days by myself. My X-wife did not like to travel. I usually went with not plan just drive and look at map and pick my next stop. I would pull behind the guard rail and sleep it I needed it. I went to Montana for hunts, I think 7 trips, and we drove non stop out and non stop back, three to vehicle. That is how I know how to build engines that live. They had to with all my driving.

David

That sounds like a great trip. Your passion for these cars is incredible! David, another couple of these trips for parts will give you a good excuse to buy another car. lol
No more cars..... Dr. says I will be OK soon.

I just buy the parts to pay for my trip. I was only going to get the Towne Top in Ohio but always look on eBay and craigslist along the route and see if I can pick up some parts to sell to pay for the gas.

I do love to drive. I left here one November and drove in snow from Tenn. through Texas and did not stop execpt for gas until in Albuquerque N.M.. Went to several parks, Disneyland, Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest, Painted Desert, Carlsbad caverns, Vegas, Death Valley & Juarez Mexico. I drove straight through from Juarez to home and did all that in 9 days, lol. I took the preachers son that was 15 to help keep me awake but he could not drive. I have done this several times. Driving and good music takes all the stress away.

My longest drive was over 9,000 miles in 21 days by myself. My X-wife did not like to travel. I usually went with not plan just drive and look at map and pick my next stop. I would pull behind the guard rail and sleep it I needed it. I went to Montana for hunts, I think 7 trips, and we drove non stop out and non stop back, three to vehicle. That is how I know how to build engines that live. They had to with all my driving.

David
I love that, David - sounds like me ::thumb::

My journey started in Hendersonville, NC and my first stop at 3:00 was in Oxford N.C. to visit Scotty Strickland. DO NOT GET IN TOUCH WITH HIM ABOUT BUYING A CAR. HE HAS NO CARS FOR SALE ONLY PARTS. He is in his early 40's and works a full time third shift job also. He has an all Ford, mostly Mustang salvage business. I will post some pictures later of what is sitting there. I needed a 1973 convertible wire harness with tach, center gages, air. He said he had one and we went to a shipping container. Inside were plastic bins with labels on each one of what was inside. He found the right one and inside were several wire harnesses in separate plastic bags also labeled. I go everything from parking lights, engine and all under dash with NO cuts or splices. It included the Door speakers also and the rubber boots, HURRAY. Midlife this was your dream place for wires. Not cheap but well kept and still had the Ford tags on them. He was loading a Maverick, one owner, with 52,000 miles on the guys trailer from New York when I got there so I went around and explored on my own. There were 69 & 70 Mach ones, convertibles, Torino GT's 66 Fairlane GTA 390, Cougars, engines of all types. There are lots of great interior Mach 1 panels, Grandé parts. Good grain and no speaker holes, NO CONVERTIBLE REAR PANELS. He has lots of parts off in sheds and probably 12 - 15 71-73 cars still on the ground. He had two pairs of A post covers for vert not a crack, split or missing nothing. More than I wanted to pay. There were several buildings and when they got the car loaded he said come look at this. He opened up a building and pulled a cover off one of the probably 12 cars in there. He opened the hood and asked do you know what that is? I took a look and said it is a Tunnel Port 427. It was. It shook the ground when he fired it up, got a short video on phone. The Marti said it was a 428 CJ car originally but he put the tunnel port in for fun. It was not one of his ground up restorations. Another car next to it was looking great in assembly. I cannot tell you what he pays for his restorations but is is about 1/3 of what most pay per hour and they are perfect. He is doing a 428 CJ Mach 1 right now that I have been watching on his Face Book page. He has a daily driver red 1972 Mach 1 with 4 speed and power windows great car.

David
David,

I'm not sure who your Dr. is, but I'd say he has an uphill battle.

David
David,

I'm not sure who your Dr. is, but I'd say he has an uphill battle.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys like these, who have lots of harnesses, but won't sell them cheap don't realize that I can undersell his inventory by quite a bit unless his customer base requires stickers and concours-level appearances. He'd never sell to me at my core prices. Oh well...

Back