Anyone know what a RUG BJ2 top loader is?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
Recently I posted about a top loader 4 speed gearbox for sale. Had a couple of enquiries and after finally getting the seller to send some detailed pics, it has an ID tag of RUG-BJ2. I can find no reference to this tag ID, not in Marti's Tag Book, Mustangtek or David Kee. The RUG-BJ or BJ1 are listed as wide ratio for a 71 351 and option for the Boss351 and 351CJ and the BJ1 listed for the 71 351HO and 351CJ,

So Chuck, any ideas?

Geoff.

EDIT: I got the picture of the tag in question. It's a bit hard to read all of it, but one can definitely see RUG-BJ2. It looks like a date code of D3 XXXX The seller now tells me he knows for sure it came out of a 73 and was removed for a 5 speed upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
Geoff take a look at this website. It may be helpful or not as the case may be.Might be worth emailing this guy and maybe include some pics. He seems to know his stuff

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/
Steve, yes I already looked there, nothing.

An email might be interesting. Could it just be a error in stamping?

Thanks,

Geoff.

My guess would be a very late '73 Mustang trans. See if he can get you more pics and casting #s from the case and tail housing.
I have more pics, just didn't post them. I think this may be a Frankenstein as it has a 71 shifter, which is what I was after. Also it's been painted and that alone make me suspicious.

Stanglover,

Been told that the wires are for a in gear switch for the seat belt warning system.

The toploader that I am using for my 71 fastback has one (trans came out of a 73 q code mach 1.

Boilermaster

Stanglover,

Been told that the wires are for a in gear switch for the seat belt warning system.

The toploader that I am using for my 71 fastback has one (trans came out of a 73 q code mach 1.

Boilermaster

I believe you're correct. IIRC, it's originally a TCS switch (trans controlled spark), but used as a you stated. 

Noticed that it has the 70-71 style shifter handle.

Stanglover,

Boilermaster
 I see, that makes sense as more and more safety systems were being introduced.

Thanks for your input,

Geoff.

Stanglover,

Boilermaster

I believe you're correct. IIRC, it's originally a TCS switch (trans controlled spark), but used as a you stated. 

Noticed that it has the 70-71 style shifter handle.
Yes, that is why I tried to get it myself. If someone wants a box, bell housing and maybe the clutch, minus the shifter, let me know.

I'll take a wild guess, 1974 Torino/Montego 351CJ. The Torino site may have the answer. Chuck

http://www.davidkeetoploaders.com/idchart2.htm  no indication of a BJ2.  There is  BG2.  Any idea of the spline count?
I believe it's a 28. I forgot to ask and I just emailed the guy! It is definitely a small input shaft diam.

I got a reply from David Kee and he thinks it may be a Californian edition. He asked for a pic of the linkage, which I sent. Strange even he is not sure.

This puppy is getting interesting.

Geoff.

Sorry no AV1 available.

I'll take a wild guess, 1974 Torino/Montego 351CJ. The Torino site may have the answer. Chuck
 Chuck, I was waiting for you to chime in. If anyone knows, it would be you I'll take a look at your suggestion.

As I said, I'm now quite suspicious of this as it has a) been painted and b) has a 71 shifter. I'm going to measure MY tailstock and if I can see it, get the part number and send to the seller. He too is very curious now.

Back in the day, there would have been a lot of mix-and-match stuff going on when parts got pooched, so who knows what got swapped in.

Bottom line is it is still a wide ratio Ford Toploader 4 speed. and was taken out of a 73 Mustang.

Thanks to all,

Geoff.

Hello Geoff, Wasn't able to get a good look at the switch to ID it. 72's (built after 12/1/71) and 73 Mustangs and Torinos with the 4sp manual transmissions had a seat belt warning sensor switch that was located in the left front part of the transmission case. This switch was also used on 3sp Torino, Mustang, Maverick, and 73-75 Broncos. The 74/ car lines used a different switch. The switch basically did the same thing as the automatic cars did when you put the car in gear without the seat belts fastened. If you can read the ID on the old switch it should read D2AR-7E449-BA (P/N D2OZ-7E449-A) and was normally retained by a 7E460 clamp . I have a feeling a lot of these were left disconnected if the trans was ever pulled for any reason along with various other buzzers and lights. The other possibility is a Transmission Spark Control switch (D2ZZ-7E440-A) which is threaded and function is a little more involved which I won't go into here. And...Got to remember this was the 70's and the Government was busy protecting us from ourselves!

The production installed top loader 4sp came to an end when the last of the 73 Mustang/Cougar, Gran Torino/Montego came off the assembly line. The 74 Gran Torino continued the Q engine for one more year but was only available with the C6. The only manual transmission available in any 74 Torino was the 3.03 3sp in the very basic and Taxi models with a 302.

The 73 Torino 4sp ID#s are RUG-BF1 (28 spline) and RUG-BG2 (31 spline)

The 73 Mustang used RUG-BJ1

I've checked everything I have on Ford 4sps including the AC Cobra's and cannot come up with a RUG-BJ2. Hopefully you will get a response from David Kee since these transmissions are his speciality.

Hello Geoff, Wasn't able to get a good look at the switch to ID it. 72's (built after 12/1/71) and 73 Mustangs and Torinos with the 4sp manual transmissions had a seat belt warning sensor switch that was located in the left front part of the transmission case. This switch was also used on 3sp Torino, Mustang, Maverick, and 73-75 Broncos. The 74/ car lines used a different switch. The switch basically did the same thing as the automatic cars did when you put the car in gear without the seat belts fastened. If you can read the ID on the old switch it should read D2AR-7E449-BA (P/N D2OZ-7E449-A) and was normally retained by a 7E460 clamp . I have a feeling a lot of these were left disconnected if the trans was ever pulled for any reason along with various other buzzers and lights. The other possibility is a Transmission Spark Control switch (D2ZZ-7E440-A) which is threaded and function is a little more involved which I won't go into here. And...Got to remember this was the 70's and the Government was busy protecting us from ourselves!

The production installed top loader 4sp came to an end when the last of the 73 Mustang/Cougar, Gran Torino/Montego came off the assembly line. The 74 Gran Torino continued the Q engine for one more year but was only available with the C6. The only manual transmission available in any 74 Torino was the 3.03 3sp in the very basic and Taxi models with a 302.

The 73 Torino 4sp ID#s are RUG-BF1 (28 spline) and RUG-BG2 (31 spline)

The 73 Mustang used RUG-BJ1

I've checked everything I have on Ford 4sps including the AC Cobra's and cannot come up with a RUG-BJ2. Hopefully you will get a response from David Kee since these transmissions are his speciality.
 Hello Steve, That's awesome information, thank you!

David Kee has emailed me and he has no idea what it is either. I'm leaning heavily towards a miss stamped tag. Heck, I've done it myself when I worked, put a stamp back in the box in the wrong place and next time I wanted say the 1, picked up the 2 and used it instead. Ooops!

I have emailed the seller for him to check the spline count, but from the pictures, it looks correct for the Mustang it came out of. Input shaft is correct and the tailstock also looks correct, but!!!!! The fact this box has been painted (my 71 was not painted from the factory, but was the 73?) tells me it's been out before, at least once in its life, so who knows what else is off.

There is a member in Germany who is very interested in buying this, so that is why I'm trying to get to the bottom of this. Besides, it very interesting knowledge for us all.

Thanks again,

Geoff.

Latest posts

Back