Anyone seen this car? NJ area....

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hemikiller

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach 1
71 XR-7 hardtop
71 Country Squire
65 hardtop
Wondering if any of you NJ/PA/NY guys have seen my old 71 sportsroof around. I sold it in '97 to a guy in NJ named Randy Jackson. He had it restored at Glazier's Mustang Barn and changed the color from red to yellow. IIRC, he blew the motor, built a 408C and it had some steep gears with a Tremec or something like that. He used to be active on the Mustangsandmore forum, but dropped out of sight in the late 00s. I'm guessing he'd be in his 60's or 70's by now. I swiped this pic from the MnM page.

Just curious if he's still around or where it ended up.

1689695525545.png

Hemi killer, is this like a Facebook thing where you get on and try and find out what an old girlfriend is doing now? Asking for a friend.

Last edited:
I tracked down a previous 1969 mustang I had owned and since I had in my records the VIN, at that time Michigan Secretary of State (DMV) charged $15 to look ownership back and that approach might help…the Facebook approach is nowadays a good call too. I love the stance of the yellow mustang in your photo…looks super aggressive, ready to pounce. Someone knows where that car is, and I would be hitting all the local car shows and asking around unless it has left the state. Good luck. BTW, the license plate number in the photo may be your key to locating, just a thought…

Hemi killer, is this like a Facebook thing where you get on and try and find out what an old girlfriend is doing now? Asking for a friend.

Right? Like an old girlfriend, I had some great times with it. ;)

This is just a curiosity thing for me, hoping it's still in good hands if Randy sold it off.

Still have the car, it had been sitting for a while and the carb was all gunked up. The garage down the street cleaned up the carb and drained the gas tank. Had it out today for the first time in a long time. Still needs to get a new float for the gas tank, gauge doesn’t work.

Still have the car, it had been sitting for a while and the carb was all gunked up. The garage down the street cleaned up the carb and drained the gas tank. Had it out today for the first time in a long time. Still needs to get a new float for the gas tank, gauge doesn’t work.

Glad to hear you still have it. Hope all is well. (y)

Yeah, there are a few issues from laying dormant for so long. It’s tough finding people to work on old cars and I’m not much of a wrench turner. Last guy was a no show three different times to come by the house and get it started so he could take it back to his shop.

Once we get the carb/fuel lines/float strained out I need to look at the brakes and probably get new tires. The Radial TAs on it are from 1997 ! The rear brakes were switched to discs but it seems to have less stopping power than before that. Plus the front master cylinder was very low so there might be a leak somewhere.

I’ll post more in the appropriate topics as I work through things. Or at least pay someone to :)

Thought I would provide some history about the car and what's been happening over the last 26 years.

This is where it all started, this picture was taken around 1975, right after I graduated High School.

IMG_2861a.jpg

That's my sister and our dog. The car was a 1971 Grande, 302 2 barrel with an automatic transmission.

I think it was called The Spring Special with side stripes, hood scoops and side mirrors.

My father picked it out as my first car, it was in the garage when I came home from school one day.

Of course I had some friends who were into cars so we did some mods, 10 inch rims and L-50s on the back, aided by air shocks.

And a set of headers and Thrush mufflers and a short straight pipe. On a 2 barrel engine! A lot of noise but not much go.

Of course marriage and kids came along and in the early 80s I sold it and went to a more practical car.

Of course you never forget your first; more to come.....

One more thing about my first Mustang, the color was Grabber Lime. That will come up later.

IMG_9480aa.jpg

So in the late 1990s I was looking to get a 71 Mustang. I found this car in Connecticut. Fastback with a 351 Cleveland, Toploader 4 Speed.
Added a set of 15x8 Magnum 500s and Radial T/A, 255 60 on the front, 275 60 on the rear.

002baaa.jpg

The first issue was the seats were not standard Mustang seats, so I went to a "mustang junkyard" in south Jersey and got two original seats and put on new seat covers. Also picked up some interior trim panels as well.

Then I started to look for a place to do a restoration....

I figured out the mustang junkyard was Gelsi’s Mustang World in Vineland NJ. It was a large field of mustangs and a large barn that was full of parts pulled from the cars to keep them from the weather.

At that time there were not many reproduction parts available for 71-73 mustangs as I would learn when I was having the restoration done.

i haven't seen it in delaware either. but like others have said we don't see our cars at show very often. the red '73 pic i sold about 1 1/2 yrs ago to a unknown flipper that suckered me to give him a great price and 3 wks later he put it up for sale for 10k more. he was in Mays Landing so i sure hope it really want to someone that will love it. ya i'm a idiot for selling it.

Attachments

• front angle.png
    front angle.png
    668.8 KB · Views: 1
i haven't seen it in delaware either. but like others have said we don't see our cars at show very often. the red '73 pic i sold about 1 1/2 yrs ago to a unknown flipper that suckered me to give him a great price and 3 wks later he put it up for sale for 10k more. he was in Mays Landing so i sure hope it really want to someone that will love it. ya i'm a idiot for selling it.
I still have the car in question, see my posts above about the history. At some point the Red car pictured above will be repainted Yellow.

Next up were some cosmetic upgrades. I had the trim around the fold down back seat re-chromed.

003aaa80.jpg
The door panels were in rough shape. I tried to get repro door panels, but the quality was horrible.
Then I discovered Gene Painter in South Carolina. He did a great job of recovering the original door panels.

IMG_1965aaa.jpg

I live near Raceway Park in Englishtown (pic above from there). It was really great to have such a nice facility so close.
I ran the car there a few times and did car shows there. It was running mid 14s in the 1/4.
I didn't try to push it too hard.

After looking locally I decided to have Glaziers Mustang Barn in PA do the restoration....

The Mustang barn had the car three times, first body then drivetrain and then engine. The body part took 9 months.

They replaced some sheet metal like floor pans and trunk floor. Also had to find a NOS ram air hood, you can see the new one in this picture.
There were no repro body parts available at this time (around 2000) so I had to find NOS parts on the internet.

017_14Aaa30.jpg

As you can see from these picture we discovered the original paint was Grabber Lime the same as my first one from high school.

015_12A (2)aa40.jpg

IMG_0102aa70.jpg

The guys at the Mustang Barn wanted to paint it Grabber Lime, but I had enough of that color in high school. So I went with Grabber Yellow.
The black hood and side body trim helps break up the yellow so it does not look so big.

From the Marti report we also found that the car was originally a 302-2V Automatic with a build date of August 12, 1970.

It was one of the first thousand built in Dearborn for 1971. Delivered to Vels-Parnelli Jones Ford in Torrance California.

Back