Anyone used the McLeod Racing Muscle Car 5 trans?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Where is a good source of "tricked" TKO600s?

1971 M-code Mach 1

astro trans in florida and liberty trans as well as a few others can also do the mods.

Last edited by a moderator:
the 600's shift decent if you let off the gas when shifting and dont try to speed shift the shifter . they are a truck transmission design and the inertia of their heavy gears is difficult to slow down . this is why shops install carbon fiber lined blocker rings or modify the synchros like liberty trans dors to slow the gears more quickly when shifting.
I agree. That's why I sold the TKO and instead installed a Richmond 6 speed with a Long linkage. Super precise shifting.

Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to figure out why the CF syncs would help, but that makes perfect sense. The carbon fiber syncs are lighter; therefore less mass, less inertia and faster slow down; therefore a little faster synchronization.
The CF blocker rings are not measurably lighter than the standard ones. A very thin portion of brass is machined off, and then the CF layer is glued in its place. Maybe a few grams difference, but nothing that would be able to be perceived if that rotating weight were the sole factor.

IMG_5342.jpg

Thanks for the explanation. I was trying to figure out why the CF syncs would help, but that makes perfect sense. The carbon fiber syncs are lighter; therefore less mass, less inertia and faster slow down; therefore a little faster synchronization.
The CF blocker rings are not measurably lighter than the standard ones. A very thin portion of brass is machined off, and then the CF layer is glued in its place. Maybe a few grams difference, but nothing that would be able to be perceived if that rotating weight were the sole factor.

IMG_5342.jpg
Thanks for the picture. Looking at it throws my theory out the window. It seems like a CF lining on the ID. I wonder whats the engineering behind it.

1971 M-code Mach 1

It seems like a CF lining on the ID. I wonder whats the engineering behind it.
It has a higher coefficient of friction than brass/bronze etc so it slows/stops the gear more quickly when the cone of the synchro mates with it.

Back