AOD Swap

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdM

Reaction score
Between the Texas Hill Country and North Idaho
My Car
1973 Mach 1 Q code, a 427 Dart based Windsor, Pro Flo 4, Tremec 5 speed, A/C, 12.7:1 steering conversion, SoT coil over and Dakota Digital dash.
I am having a shop build a proper AOD for my 427 Windsor 73 Mach 1. I am looking for a fairly "traditional" looking shifter. Any suggestions?

The AOD has the same shift pattern as the automatics of the day, but the geometry is different. Like Bill said, you can use the factory automatic shifter with the aftermarket rod and shift shaft to correct this issue. You'll want to get this to your builder before they finish the transmission. California Pony Cars is one manufacturer.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cpo-tra-643-746

Thanks all. I am swapping a Tremec 5 speed to the AOD. So a factory repo(?) shifter with the kit above?

We ended up using the original auto trans shifter with our AOD. I know that may sound unusual, or even totally impossible. But, it was almost too easy to do. Thebehavior of the tranny and the shoft positions is different in some ways, and I discovered what has been called, by others, the AOD Shuffle when dealing with manually shifting into 1st and 2nd gear from the oem shifter. I cover that in the attached PDF document. And I also speak about it and dxdemonstrate it in a YouTube video I did.

Here is the AOD shift rod unit I used with our 73 Mach 1, in the embedded photo below.

1699141263149.png

Lots of adjustments can be made, to include length and radius lengths. I was able to keep my original shifter, although the behavior for how the oem shifter works with the AOD is a little different.

Here are two YouTube videos Lynda and I produced that may be helpful with your AOD project. In the descriptions you will find key portions of the videos covering certain key subjects, so you can go straight to the items of interest as opposed to watching the entire video you are looking at, although I personally feelthere is a lot of info in both videos.:

AOD Shift Rod from Lokar (purchased through Summit Racing, part # is in description text):

AOD shifting and oem shifter behavior:

Gil

Attachments

• 1699141141329.png
    1699141141329.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 0
  • OriginalThreeSpeedSpeedShifterBehaviorWithAOD_Description_20220309.pdf
    42.3 KB · Views: 0
We ended up using the original auto trans shifter with our AOD. I know that may sound unusual, or even totally impossible. But, it was almost too easy to do. Thebehavior of the tranny and the shoft positions is different in some ways, and I discovered what has been called, by others, the AOD Shuffle when dealing with manually shifting into 1st and 2nd gear from the oem shifter. I cover that in the attached PDF document. And I also speak about it and dxdemonstrate it in a YouTube video I did.

Here is the AOD shift rod unit I used with our 73 Mach 1, in the embedded photo below.

View attachment 82758

Lots of adjustments can be made, to include length and radius lengths. I was able to keep my original shifter, although the behavior for how the oem shifter works with the AOD is a little different.

Here are two YouTube videos Lynda and I produced that may be helpful with your AOD project. In the descriptions you will find key portions of the videos covering certain key subjects, so you can go straight to the items of interest as opposed to watching the entire video you are looking at, although I personally feelthere is a lot of info in both videos.:

AOD Shift Rod from Lokar (purchased through Summit Racing, part # is in description text):

AOD shifting and oem shifter behavior:

Gil

My C10 is the same way. It was originally a non-overdrive automatic. We put in an overdrive transmission and that shifted everything after N. In practice, it really doesn't affect anything day to day.

Park, reverse, neutral, and "just drive forward" are all in the same spot. I never even look at the shifter anyways. From park is 3 clicks to "go forwards". Reverse is 2 clicks up from that.

I can't think of very many reasons you'd want to even put an old mustang in 1st gear and leave it there. I know at some point in the old mustangs (and other fords), 2 put the transmission into 2 and it stayed there. And at some point, the 2 would start out in 1st gear and then switch to 2nd when it wanted to and stay there. So the semantics of the 2 position and whether or not the "shuffle" prevents you from hitting first gear depend on which transmission you have.

Thanks all. I am swapping a Tremec 5 speed to the AOD. So a factory repo(?) shifter with the kit above?
Bud use a 4r70w don't fool with an aod. I make a bolt in kit that uses the stock sifter and a c4 insulator. Get a 2001 to 2004 v6 mustang trans and engine separator plate and tq converter from pull a part and run it provided your donor trans fluid is normal. They can stand anything you can throw at them.

Given that it is going behind a 427 CID engine, I agree with InjectedMach on the 4R70. But, I hope all goes well no matter what you end up doing. Chuck

Back